Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Jerry Geis

Default kernel panic on 5.6

Les

there is no previous kernel to check...
This is a fresh install.

I boot with PXE, selected my kickstart item, it installs everything as
normal,
then it reboots and its here that I get the kernel panic.

Jerry

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Peter Kjellström

On Monday, April 18, 2011 09:26:56 PM Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am getting:
>
> kernel panic unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)
>
> This is just a normal box that I have use many a time to test install.
> Basic one disk SATA 160G. Been using it for at least a year.
>
> Is this that glibc issue hitting me? or something else?

No, this seems like a case of "installer did not correctly setup initrd/grub"
(unless you yourself did something creative with it...).

/Peter

Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Jerry Geis

ok - so I am getting the kernel panic in my (kickstart PXE invironment).
I have used this environment since cents 5.2
The PXE starts up 5.6 gets installed that all works fine.
then after it reboots I get the kernel panic cant mount root (0,0)
This is just one disk SATA nothing special. Same hardware I have always
used.

I not have booted into rescue mode. my /etc/grub.conf looks fine.
everything else looks fine.

I have tried 3 different machines now. All three get the same result.

I have not changed anything in my kickstart environment from 5.5 to 5.6
other
than change numbers from 5.5 to 5.6.

What am I looking for? as I mentioned grub looks fine.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Maybe the quickest way to find out is to install manually via PXE. Use the
same disk structure etc. you use in the kickstart, stay as close as
possible. If that succeeds compare the kickstart log for that install with
your kickstart file.
It's possible that you have some directive in there that wasn't 100%
correct, but failed gracefully before and now it doesn't. I assume you
have already watched one of the failing kickstart installs to rule out any
missing files or other glitches that would be visible on the install
screen that runs thru? I also assume that you at least verified that the
partitions are there and filled with reasonably looking files.

> my /etc/grub.conf looks fine

it doesn't contain the boot config.

Kai

Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 03:56:41 PM Jerry Geis wrote:
> ok - so I am getting the kernel panic in my (kickstart PXE invironment).
> I have used this environment since cents 5.2
> The PXE starts up 5.6 gets installed that all works fine.
> then after it reboots I get the kernel panic cant mount root (0,0)

Are you sure this is exactly what it says? (0,0) is not a good root device.
Try pressing e in grub and look at what it has for root=...

If it's as you say a trivial sata drive setup and you know where the root fs
is the you could try to just change root= in the grub entry to reflect that
((e)dit mode in grub on boot).

/Peter

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:
> ok - so I am getting the kernel panic in my (kickstart PXE invironment).
> I have used this environment since cents 5.2
> The PXE starts up 5.6 gets installed that all works fine.
> then after it reboots I get the kernel panic cant mount root (0,0)
> This is just one disk SATA nothing special. Same hardware I have always
> used.
>
> I not have booted into rescue mode. my /etc/grub.conf looks fine.
> everything else looks fine.

Maybe check /boot/grub/device.map? It *better* have
(hd0) /dev/sda
and grub *better* have root (hd0,0), not root (0,0).

mark "nevre makes typoes"

Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:
> ok - so I am getting the kernel panic in my (kickstart PXE invironment).
> I have used this environment since cents 5.2
> The PXE starts up 5.6 gets installed that all works fine.
> then after it reboots I get the kernel panic cant mount root (0,0)
> This is just one disk SATA nothing special. Same hardware I have
> always used.
>
> I not have booted into rescue mode. my /etc/grub.conf looks fine.
> everything else looks fine.
>
> I have tried 3 different machines now. All three get the same result.
>
> I have not changed anything in my kickstart environment from 5.5 to
> 5.6 other
> than change numbers from 5.5 to 5.6.
>
> What am I looking for? as I mentioned grub looks fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

I looked at all the grub stuff in the editor mode and it looked fine.
root was hd0,0 etc...
I booted in rescue mode and was looking around. ls -l /boot all files
are there
however the initrd-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.img is only 50 bytes not the
normal 2.6M

How is this getting corrupted???

I did "grep initrd kickstart*" and nothing showed up so it would appear
as though I am
not changing it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jerry

Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 05:26:18 PM Jerry Geis wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > ok - so I am getting the kernel panic in my (kickstart PXE invironment).
> > I have used this environment since cents 5.2
> > The PXE starts up 5.6 gets installed that all works fine.
> > then after it reboots I get the kernel panic cant mount root (0,0)
> > This is just one disk SATA nothing special. Same hardware I have
> > always used.
> >
> > I not have booted into rescue mode. my /etc/grub.conf looks fine.
> > everything else looks fine.
> >
> > I have tried 3 different machines now. All three get the same result.
> >
> > I have not changed anything in my kickstart environment from 5.5 to
> > 5.6 other
> > than change numbers from 5.5 to 5.6.
> >
> > What am I looking for? as I mentioned grub looks fine.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jerry
>
> I looked at all the grub stuff in the editor mode and it looked fine.
> root was hd0,0 etc...

The "root (hdXXX,YY)" line was never in question (without it no kernel had
been found and you'd not gotten the "unable to mount root" panic.

What could have been wrong was the "root=..." part of the kernel line in grub.
But as it stands now it seems more likely that mkinitrd failed during install
somehow..

> I booted in rescue mode and was looking around. ls -l /boot all files
> are there
> however the initrd-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.img is only 50 bytes not the
> normal 2.6M
>
> How is this getting corrupted???

Sounds like the installer for some reason did not succeed to generate an
initrd for your setup. Any clues if you run mkinitrd on the machine manually?
(preferably with verbose option)

Except for this manual invocation of mkinitrd it would also be nice to (as a
what goes wrong.

/Peter

Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Jerry Geis

Ok - after further looking - I have found this in /root/install.log

error: nash-5.1.19.6-68.el5_61: Header V3 DSA signature BAD, key ID e8562897

I am using a local repo for installations:

In my updates directory nash shows as ls -l nash*
-rw-r--r-- 1 537 537 1177729 Apr 14 9:52 nash-5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm

Is this file corrupt?
I can always just remove it and try again. however I'd like to know what
happened
so it doesnt again.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jerry

Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 05:45:15 PM Jerry Geis wrote:
> Ok - after further looking - I have found this in /root/install.log
>
> error: nash-5.1.19.6-68.el5_61: Header V3 DSA signature BAD, key ID
> e8562897
>
> I am using a local repo for installations:

Seems the installer fetched a broken pkg from your local repo. I'm a bit
surprised the install didn't stop/die there but finished.

> In my updates directory nash shows as ls -l nash*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 537 537 1177729 Apr 14 9:52
> nash-5.1.19.6-68.el5_6.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> Is this file corrupt?

If the signature is "BAD" it's defined as corrupt.

/Peter