Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Nicolas Ross

Default centosplus kernel not up to date ?

Is it possible that the kernel in the centosplus repo is not up to date ?

The centosplus kernel I have is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and the
regular one is 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5...

I need the plus because of the firewire drivers.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Nicolas Ross
<rossnick-lists@cybercat.ca> wrote:
> Is it possible that the kernel in the centosplus repo is not up to date ?
>
> The centosplus kernel I have is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and the
> regular one is 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5...
>
> I need the plus because of the firewire drivers.

I *believe* it's been already built. But it needs to be released.
Karanbir is away this weekend. Can other dev push it? Johnny? Tru?

Akemi

Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Nicolas Ross

> I *believe* it's been already built. But it needs to be released.
> Karanbir is away this weekend. Can other dev push it? Johnny? Tru?
>
> Akemi
It's not that urgent, it's just that yum sees that the update from the
regular repository, and I ended up with no external drive to my backup
storage server and it took a while to figure it out...

Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Phil Schaffner

Nicolas Ross wrote on 04/16/2011 02:25 PM:

> It's not that urgent, it's just that yum sees that the update from the
> regular repository, and I ended up with no external drive to my backup
> storage server and it took a while to figure it out...

You might want to add an "exclude=kernel*" in [updates] to keep yum from
sneaking up on you like that.

Phil

Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/16/11 12:50 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> Is it possible that the kernel in the centosplus repo is not up to date ?
>
> The centosplus kernel I have is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and the
> regular one is 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5...
>
> I need the plus because of the firewire drivers.

I thought that firewire was finally backed into the stock RHEL kernel a few revs
ago at least as a 'technology preview'. Maybe you have to do something to
enable it. I used to use the centosplus kernel for that and reiserfs but
haven't used those drives for a while.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/11 12:50 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
>> Is it possible that the kernel in the centosplus repo is not up to date ?
>>
>> The centosplus kernel I have is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and the
>> regular one is 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5...
>>
>> I need the plus because of the firewire drivers.
>
> I thought that firewire was finally backed into the stock RHEL kernel a few revs
> ago at least as a 'technology preview'. *Maybe you have to do something to
> enable it. * I used to use the centosplus kernel for that and reiserfs but
> haven't used those drives for a while.

If it is the classic stack of firewire drivers that are required, and
there is nothing else needed from the centosplus kernel, a good
solution is to get the kABI-tracking firewire modules from ELRepo:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394

It provides:

dv1394.ko
eth1394.ko
ieee1394.ko
ohci1394.ko
pcilynx.ko
raw1394.ko
sbp2.ko
video1394.ko

Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.

Akemi

Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Nicolas Ross

> If it is the classic stack of firewire drivers that are required, and
> there is nothing else needed from the centosplus kernel, a good
> solution is to get the kABI-tracking firewire modules from ELRepo:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394
>
> It provides:
>
> dv1394.ko
> eth1394.ko
> ieee1394.ko
> ohci1394.ko
> pcilynx.ko
> raw1394.ko
> sbp2.ko
> video1394.ko
>
> Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
> distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.
That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.

I will try that on monday.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/16/11 2:25 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:

>> If it is the classic stack of firewire drivers that are required, and
>> there is nothing else needed from the centosplus kernel, a good
>> solution is to get the kABI-tracking firewire modules from ELRepo:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394
>>
>> It provides:
>>
>> dv1394.ko
>> eth1394.ko
>> ieee1394.ko
>> ohci1394.ko
>> pcilynx.ko
>> raw1394.ko
>> sbp2.ko
>> video1394.ko
>>
>> Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
>> distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.
> That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
> my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.
>
> I will try that on monday.

Yum shouldn't have deleted your running kernel in the update. It should just be
a matter of changing the default to boot in the grub config if you want to run
the old one a while longer.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Nicolas Ross
<rossnick-lists@cybercat.ca> wrote:

>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394
>>
>> It provides:
>>
>> dv1394.ko
>> eth1394.ko
>> ieee1394.ko
>> ohci1394.ko
>> pcilynx.ko
>> raw1394.ko
>> sbp2.ko
>> video1394.ko
>>
>> Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
>> distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.

> That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
> my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.
>
> I will try that on monday.

If you find issues or need further assistance with the kmod package,
please try using the ELRepo mailing list (
http://lists.elrepo.org/mailman/listinfo/elrepo ).

Akemi

Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

>>> Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
>>> distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.
>> That is indeed what I need, I use ieee1394, raw1394 and sbp2 to access
>> my 2tb firewire external drive that is used for backup rotation.
>>
>> I will try that on monday.
>
> Yum shouldn't have deleted your running kernel in the update. It should
> just be
> a matter of changing the default to boot in the grub config if you want to
> run
> the old one a while longer.

No, it didn't, but on reboot, it booted the non-centosplus kernel, the one
that was more upto date...