Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Frank Cox

Default unrar rpm package

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:38:49 -0400
Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> All are enabled. When I do a yum search for unrar, nothing comes up. Is there
> another repository
> that I should add to the list, or is there a particular website that I can go
> to get the package?

rpmfusion has it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM
John R Pierce

On 04/15/11 2:38 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> Hi there --
>
> I am running a server with the 5.6 64-bit distribution, and I am
> looking for an unrar rpm package.
> I have several repositories set up on the server which are the following:
>
> base
> updates
> extras
> centosplus
> contrib
> c5-testing
>
> All are enabled. When I do a yum search for unrar, nothing comes up.
> Is there another repository
> that I should add to the list, or is there a particular website that I
> can go to get the package?

I see a rar and unrar in rpmforge.

# yum --enablerepo=rpmforge list rar unrar
Available Packages
rar.i386
3.8.0-1.el5.rf rpmforge
unrar.i386
4.0.7-1.el5.rf rpmforge

there's probably other ports in places like EPEL but I didn't look there.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Mailing List

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

All are enabled. When I do a yum search for unrar, nothing comes up. Is there
another repository
that I should add to the list, or is there a particular website that I can go
to get the package?

rpmforge also..

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:54:23PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/15/11 2:38 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> >
> > Hi there --
> >
> > I am running a server with the 5.6 64-bit distribution, and I am
> > looking for an unrar rpm package.
> > I have several repositories set up on the server which are the following:

As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. For what it's worth, p7zip does the
same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: Wait for Faith.
Buffy: That could be hours. The girl makes Godot look punctual.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:54:23PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 04/15/11 2:38 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
>>> Hi there --
>>>
>>> I am running a server with the 5.6 64-bit distribution, and I am
>>> looking for an unrar rpm package.
>>> I have several repositories set up on the server which are the following:
>
> As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. For what it's worth, p7zip does the
> same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
> benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.

p7zip also has multi-thread support (multiple-CPU) and EXCELLENT
compression algorithm. I use it to compress some backup and log files
for StarOS wireless routers. Kernel logs are pulled every hour but
contain a lot of redundant info (previous parts of the logs). In that
environment, compression achieved is 10.000%, or 100 times smaller. 10MB
is packed into 100KB.

Ljubomir

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Sven Aluoor

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. *For what it's worth, p7zip does the
> same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
> benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.

Did I understand right? "7z x" can unrar multipart *.rar archives
faster than unrar nonfree? How is the CLI syntax?

cheers Sven

Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Sven Aluoor wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Scott Robbins<scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>> As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. For what it's worth, p7zip does the
>> same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
>> benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.
>
> Did I understand right? "7z x" can unrar multipart *.rar archives
> faster than unrar nonfree? How is the CLI syntax?

I doubt that, given it seems to be the same code:
"The decompression engine for RAR archives was developed using source
code of unRAR program."
http://www.7-zip.org/license.txt

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Scott Robbins

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 02:41:10PM +0200, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. *For what it's worth, p7zip does the
> > same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
> > benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.
>
> Did I understand right? "7z x" can unrar multipart *.rar archives
> faster than unrar nonfree? How is the CLI syntax?

I have a page where I cover this a bit.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/dvds.html (there's a
section on rar)

At any rate, on my VERY informal benchmarks, just using the time
command, it was faster.
The syntax for that is identical to rar/unrar

7z e <first file in the rar series>, so for example

7z e 01.rar

Will unrar a section of rar files.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Yep, vampires are real. A lot of 'em live in Sunnydale.
Willow'll fill you in.
Willow: I know it's hard to accept at first.
Oz: Actually, it explains a lot.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Dag Wieers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Scott Robbins<scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. For what it's worth, p7zip does the
>>> same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
>>> benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.
>>
>> Did I understand right? "7z x" can unrar multipart *.rar archives
>> faster than unrar nonfree? How is the CLI syntax?
>
> I doubt that, given it seems to be the same code:
> "The decompression engine for RAR archives was developed using source
> code of unRAR program."

To the contrary, I would even argue that if you base your implementation
on someone else's sourcecode, your implementation is at least as good, but
potentially better than the original.

Because when rewriting you have to understand the original, so
re-implementing provides you with the opportunity to improve. And since
you have to verify it works exactly the same, there's a good chance both
performance and correctness are guaranteed.

The original author may not have a reference to compete against.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/

Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Scott Robbins<scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>> As was mentioned, rpmforge has it. For what it's worth, p7zip does the
>>> same thing and somewhat more quickly at least in my very rough
>>> benchmarks, e.g. time rar e something.rar vs 7z e something rar.
>> Did I understand right? "7z x" can unrar multipart *.rar archives
>> faster than unrar nonfree? How is the CLI syntax?
>
> I doubt that, given it seems to be the same code:
> "The decompression engine for RAR archives was developed using source
> code of unRAR program."
> http://www.7-zip.org/license.txt

Please visit this link mor more
info:http://docs.bugaco.com/7zip/MANUAL/switches/method.htm
or even better, read the manual for current version. It looks like Rar
files are not supported for multithreading.

Ljubomir