Old 04-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Florin Andrei

Default cross-platform email client

I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.

My main desktop platform is Linux, but I need a client that works the
same and looks the same on Windows too. Email server is IMAP with a
pretty hefty account: over a hundred folders, hundreds of thousands of
messages total (server-side filtering with Sieve). Typically it's a
remote session, over VPN. So the client better work well, and be
glitch-free.

The issues with Thunderbird might be related to the size of my IMAP
account, plus the VPN latency - but frankly, I don't care, the client
needs to hide all that stuff from me, do the updates or whatever in the
background, instead of blocking the UI until it's done. Ironically, it
blocked when I was done with this paragraph and I hit Enter. Sticking it
to the man one last time, I guess.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/

Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM
John R Pierce

On 04/15/11 12:07 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
> once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
> several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
> waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.

I think T-bird gets locked up when its SENDING mail if the server takes
too long to reply at the early stages of the protocol. that or DNS
lookups take too long.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Jeff

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
> once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
> several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
> waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.
>
> My main desktop platform is Linux, but I need a client that works the
> same and looks the same on Windows too. Email server is IMAP with a
> pretty hefty account: over a hundred folders, hundreds of thousands of
> messages total (server-side filtering with Sieve). Typically it's a
> remote session, over VPN. So the client better work well, and be
> glitch-free.
>
> The issues with Thunderbird might be related to the size of my IMAP
> account, plus the VPN latency - but frankly, I don't care, the client
> needs to hide all that stuff from me, do the updates or whatever in the
> background, instead of blocking the UI until it's done. Ironically, it
> blocked when I was done with this paragraph and I hit Enter. Sticking it
> to the man one last time, I guess.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
local synchronization?

Account Settings -> Synch & Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
account on this computer"

Or at least that's where it is in Windows T-Bird.

--
Jeff

Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:30:10PM -0500, Jeff wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> > I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> > something else. For whatever reason, it doesn't work well for me - every
> > once in a while it becomes non-responsive (UI completely frozen for
> > several seconds, CPU usage goes to 100%) and I just can't afford to
> > waste time waiting for the email software to start working again.

> By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
> large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
> local synchronization?
>
> Account Settings -> Synch & Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
> account on this computer"

There is another setting that can apparently cause high CPU usage.
Preferences>Advanced>General>Advanced Configuration>Enable Global Search
and Indexer (don't have Thunderbird handy, so that path might be
slightly off.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
Willow: It's pretty exciting.
Oz: That's some deep academia there.
Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Florin Andrei

On 04/15/2011 12:28 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

> I think T-bird gets locked up when its SENDING mail if the server takes
> too long to reply at the early stages of the protocol. that or DNS
> lookups take too long.

At least in my case - no and no.

It freezes randomly but pretty often, no relation to sending emails.

The IMAP and SMTP servers are defined by IP address, not hostname. But
even if that was the case, a software that blocks the UI completely
while waiting for something in the background? Sounds like 1999 all over
again.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/

Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Florin Andrei

On 04/15/2011 12:30 PM, Jeff wrote:

> By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
> large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
> local synchronization?
>
> Account Settings -> Synch& Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
> account on this computer"

It's unchecked already.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
John R Pierce

On 04/15/11 12:45 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On 04/15/2011 12:28 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> I think T-bird gets locked up when its SENDING mail if the server takes
>> too long to reply at the early stages of the protocol. that or DNS
>> lookups take too long.
> At least in my case - no and no.
>
> It freezes randomly but pretty often, no relation to sending emails.
>
> The IMAP and SMTP servers are defined by IP address, not hostname. But
> even if that was the case, a software that blocks the UI completely
> while waiting for something in the background? Sounds like 1999 all over
> again.

my local SMTP server is intentionally configured to verify delivery
addresses before it accepts a mail. sometimes this causes delays.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Michael Davis

On 4/15/2011 3:46 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On 04/15/2011 12:30 PM, Jeff wrote:
>> By default Thunderbird creates a local cache for IMAP accounts -- for
>> large accounts, this can be problematic. Have you tried disabling the
>> local synchronization?
>>
>> Account Settings -> Synch& Storage -> Uncheck "Keep messages for this
>> account on this computer"
> It's unchecked already.

I experienced a similar problem with Thunderbird on Windows. For me, it
ended up being folder compaction. Changing the settings on compaction
(Tools/Options/Advanced/Network & Disk Space) reduced the frequency that
folders are compacted, and thereby my frustration, but did not eliminate
them. I agree that the UI should not be affected by maintenance functions.

Hope this helps.

Michael Davis
Profician Corporation

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Devin Reade

Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> I'm a Thunderbird user almost since day one, but now I'm looking for
> something else.

Check out Mulberry. <http://mulberrymail.com/> It hasn't been updated
in a while, but don't let that scare you off. It's a very solid mail
reader for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It does all the usual mail-related
protocols, included crypto, authentication, filtering (server and I
think client side), address books, scheduling, etc.

To put into perspective, my client talks to four different IMAP accounts,
the largest of which has 326 subfolders and 530,000 messages. The only
bug that I seem to run into with the latest version is if the SMTP server
isn't available when you send your first message after starting up, then
the message you sent doesn't get kicked out of the local spool until you
send the 2nd message. (Earlier versions would retry periodically; maybe
there's a config setting somewhere I've not noticed, but it hasn't annoyed
me enough to track it down.)

If you're installing on CentOS you will need, IIRC, one of the
compat-libc RPMS to be installed. Use ldd to figure out which one.

Just grab the mulberry client. Don't bother with the mulberry admin
tool; it's intended for large scale deployments.

Devin

Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Kenneth Porter

--On Friday, April 15, 2011 8:56 PM -0600 Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:

> Check out Mulberry. <http://mulberrymail.com/> It hasn't been updated
> in a while, but don't let that scare you off. It's a very solid mail
> reader for Linux, Mac, and Windows. It does all the usual mail-related
> protocols, included crypto, authentication, filtering (server and I
> think client side), address books, scheduling, etc.

If you're willing to build it from source, subscribe to the mulberry-devel
list and check recent posts for instructions on how to build on Linux. I'm
maintaining the Win32 build of the "shared" development branch. Another
participant maintains the Linux build system and converted it to use the
auto tools.

The main drawback to Mulberry is that it doesn't display images, and its
HTML rendering is primitive. But if you're like me and deal primarily in
text, and want to only open images and attachments explicitly (good way to
avoid infections), Mulberry works great.

It's particulary wonderful if you have a huge hierarchy of folders. I've
got literally hundreds of mailing list folders, with procmailrc feeding
mail into each, and Mulberry is great for detecting new mail in all of them
efficiently.

Mulberry has a great Reply selection dialog. When you reply to an email, a
dialog optionally appears letting you easily select which correspondents
will go in the To/Cc/Bcc fields, and whether the reply is really a reply
(with References header) or a New Message. Again, very useful for dealing
with mailing lists when you want to start a new thread.

You can configure multiple "identities" representing what will populate the
>From and Reply-to fields and what outbound servers will be used. An
identity can inherit from another identity, changing only what's unique, so
you can create a default identity and the others can have minimal setup.

Each mail folder can have an identity associated with it, and this is
inherited by child folders or can be overridden. Folders can also have
unique notification sounds.

I don't use Mulberry's filtering system because I use procmail on the
server for that, but I know a system is there should you need that.