Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Cal Webster

Default Two cleanly installed CentOS 5.6 servers but with different Xen kernel versions

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 16:37 +0200, Hans Vos wrote:
> Hello Cal,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> > It's possible that your #2 server has not rebooted or had problems with
> > the latest kernel or just has the default set to something other than
> > "0" in grub.conf.
>
> I did a reboot and checked the grub.conf. Should have mentioned that.
>
> > What's the output of:
> >
> > egrep 'default|title' /etc/grub.conf
>
> # egrep 'default|title' /etc/grub.conf
> default=0
> title CentOS (2.6.18-238.5.1.el5xen)
> title CentOS (2.6.18-238.el5xen)
>
> > yum list kernel | grep kernel
>
> yum list kernel | grep kernel
> kernel.x86_64 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5
> updates

Ryan is right. The mirrors need to sync up. That's most likely the
cause. Still, it's curious why you have two kernels listed in grub.conf
and only one listed from yum. You should also see the 2.6.18-238.el5xen
kernel listed.

./Cal

Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Hans Vos

Hello,

> Ryan is right. The mirrors need to sync up. That's most likely the
> cause. Still, it's curious why you have two kernels listed in grub.conf
> and only one listed from yum. You should also see the 2.6.18-238.el5xen
> kernel listed.

Well, I copied the /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt file from server 1 to
server 2. Then run yum update and all kinds of errors came flying at me.
So I just SCP'ed the whole /var/cache/yum directory of server 1 to
server 2. Ran yum update and there were the updates I was missing
including the new kernel-xen. I don't know if this was the *proper* way
of fixing it but it did the job :P.

--
Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Hans Vos <hans@laissezfaire.nl> wrote:
> Well, I copied the /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt file from server 1 to
> server 2. Then run yum update and all kinds of errors came flying at me.
> So I just SCP'ed the whole /var/cache/yum directory of server 1 to
> server 2. Ran yum update and there were the updates I was missing
> including the new kernel-xen. I don't know if this was the *proper* way
> of fixing it but it did the job :P.

Not sure the outcome of copying the yum directory. I would have just
run yum clean all then yum update.

Ryan

Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Cal Webster

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 17:00 +0200, Hans Vos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Ryan is right. The mirrors need to sync up. That's most likely the
> > cause. Still, it's curious why you have two kernels listed in grub.conf
> > and only one listed from yum. You should also see the 2.6.18-238.el5xen
> > kernel listed.
>
> Well, I copied the /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt file from server 1 to
> server 2. Then run yum update and all kinds of errors came flying at me.
> So I just SCP'ed the whole /var/cache/yum directory of server 1 to
> server 2. Ran yum update and there were the updates I was missing
> including the new kernel-xen. I don't know if this was the *proper* way
> of fixing it but it did the job :P.

You shouldn't need to copy the timedhosts.txt file the "fastestmirrors"
yum plugin should recreate it. You might check /var/log/yum.log
or /var/log/messages to make some sense of the errors. I don't see any
harm in using the cache from the other machine, though.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Cal Webster

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 11:07 -0400, Ryan Wagoner wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Hans Vos <hans@laissezfaire.nl> wrote:
> > Well, I copied the /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt file from server 1 to
> > server 2. Then run yum update and all kinds of errors came flying at me.
> > So I just SCP'ed the whole /var/cache/yum directory of server 1 to
> > server 2. Ran yum update and there were the updates I was missing
> > including the new kernel-xen. I don't know if this was the *proper* way
> > of fixing it but it did the job :P.
> >

> Not sure the outcome of copying the yum directory. I would have just
> run yum clean all then yum update.
>
> Ryan

+1

Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Hans Vos

> Not sure the outcome of copying the yum directory. I would have just
> run yum clean all then yum update.

Ah, thanks, I will put that in my personal Wiki for future reference.
Noob here and it is a test environment at home . Thanks for your help.

--
Kind regards,

Hans Vos