Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Les Mikesell

Default speed-tuning samba?

What's the current state of the art with this black magic?

It looks like there are a vast number of tuning options and the ones
that typically show up in advice are:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 65535
dead time = 15
getwd cache = yes
some of which may be the defaults anyway.

One thing in particular that I'd like to make faster is access to a set
of libraries (boost, etc.) that are in a directory mapped by several
windows boxes (mostly VM's on different machines)used as build servers.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Andrzej SzymaƄski

On 2011-04-14 20:16, Les Mikesell wrote:
> One thing in particular that I'd like to make faster is access to a set
> of libraries (boost, etc.) that are in a directory mapped by several
> windows boxes (mostly VM's on different machines)used as build servers.

I usually run samba with defaults, as playing with the settings did not
change much in my case. However, I found in one of the IBM redbooks
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4285.pdf on page 131)
that disabling tcp sack and dsack is recommended on a samba box working
on a gigabit LAN (when samba host and clients are in the same LAN).

In one case it helped much, in the other it did not change anything, so
you should try on your own:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_dsack=0

Andrzej