Old 04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
admin lewis

Default ups advice

Hi
I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?

thx so much!!

lewis.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 4/14/2011 12:06 PM, admin lewis wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?

APC's website has a "UPS Selector" feature that will recommend a UPS
based on your equipment.

--
Bowie

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Kevin Thorpe

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis <adminlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?

It depends on how long you want it to run. Your choice is a small UPS
to give your
server just enough time to shut down or a big UPS to allow you to
carry on working
for some time.

In general a fileserver will only need a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes to
shut down as
your workstations are probably already dead. Obviously this has changed now that
people have laptops. If you're running big processes on the server then you need
long enough to let them complete or shut down gracefully.

Of course this assumes reliable power. If you regularly have outages
or bad brownouts
then scale up.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis
> <adminlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
>> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?

UPS and Power Supplies are not all the same.
If the UPS has a stepped voltage output (not smooth sine wave like the
local public grid has) in large enough steps to mess up the power
supply, you wind up with no UPS in effect.

CLEARLY if there are enough steps to the stepped output of the UPS
(which depends on the UPS brand/model), the PC power supply happily will
see it as a sine wave input. How many is "enough" depends on the power
supply and the load.

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.

//me

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
admin lewis

2011/4/14 Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey@buc.com>:
> On 4/14/2011 12:06 PM, admin lewis wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
>> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?
>
> APC's website has a "UPS Selector" feature that will recommend a UPS
> based on your equipment.
>
> --
> Bowie

I take a APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD 230V
It seems good a enough to give 15-20 minutes of power to my server.
very very thanks for your simple but very useful hint.
lewis

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/14/2011 11:36 AM, Kevin Thorpe wrote:

>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
>> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?
>
> It depends on how long you want it to run. Your choice is a small UPS
> to give your
> server just enough time to shut down or a big UPS to allow you to
> carry on working
> for some time.
>
> In general a fileserver will only need a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes to
> shut down as
> your workstations are probably already dead. Obviously this has changed now that
> people have laptops. If you're running big processes on the server then you need
> long enough to let them complete or shut down gracefully.
>
> Of course this assumes reliable power. If you regularly have outages
> or bad brownouts
> then scale up.

Don't forget that you need to keep your network equipment powered as
well if you expect to do more than a graceful shutdown.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis <adminlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?
>
> It depends on how long you want it to run. Your choice is a small UPS to
give your server just enough time to shut down or a big UPS to allow you to
> carry on working for some time.

And it depends on what you're trying to deal with: if it's occasional
brown or blackouts, or power flickers (let's not talk about Chicago, for
example), then you need enough power to provide all it will draw for a
couple minutes at most. If you're looking at longer power outages, you'll
need something a lot bigger, though one suitable for the above purpose
would usually allow it to shut down gracefully; it's not like Linux takes
a long, long time to shutdown.
<snip>
> people have laptops. If you're running big processes on the server then
you need long enough to let them complete or shut down gracefully.

Heh. Depends on your definition of "big processes", says the guy whose
users normally are running jobs that run for *days*, if not weeks.

mark

Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
>centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, admin lewis
>> <adminlewis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T310 *tower* server.. I have to buy an ups by
>>> apc... anyone could help me giving an hint ?
>>> a simple "smart ups 1000" could be enough ?
>
>UPS and Power Supplies are not all the same.
>If the UPS has a stepped voltage output (not smooth sine wave like the
>local public grid has) in large enough steps to mess up the power
>supply, you wind up with no UPS in effect.

We have been using APC UPSs for decades now, and the only major
problem I've seen is batteries swelling in some of the rack-mount
chassis making them difficult to impossible to remove. By
difficult I mean taking the cover off the UPS to get to the
batteries. By impossible, taking the cover off reveals that the
construction is such that the batteries won't come out the top.

We lose power fairly frequently here, and need the UPSs to keep
things going long enough to get generator backup started. I have
found that the APC UPSs really don't like cheap generators. We
had a week long power outage after the 2001 Clinton Inaugural
windstorm, and I got an inexpensive generator from Sears which
didn't work at all with APC equipment. We're now using Honda
generators which are very quiet, and have kept things going for
over a week at a time.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress. -- Frederick Douglass.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Kevin Thorpe

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Bill Campbell <centos@celestial.com> wrote:

> We lose power fairly frequently here, and need the UPSs to keep
> things going long enough to get generator backup started. *I have
> found that the APC UPSs really don't like cheap generators. *We
> had a week long power outage after the 2001 Clinton Inaugural
> windstorm, and I got an inexpensive generator from Sears which
> didn't work at all with APC equipment.

Cheap generators are just that - cheap. If you look at the output
on a 'scope then you'll never want one anywhere near anything
delicate. Your UPS is probably manfully trying to smooth out the
spikes and if it's really clever trying to correct the frequency of the
AC. All that gets soaked up by the batteries and it knackers them
in no time.

For regular outages it's far better to store DC instead of doing the
full AC - DC - AC - DC cycle. Shame that there isn't a good way of
doing that with standard computer equipment.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Devin Reade

Partially echoing what was already said:

- Stick to APC

- Avoid the low end "workstation" models like the plain BackUPS.
As a minimum get a BackUPS-Pro. SmartUPS are better.

- Use the sizing app on the APC web site

- Careful of your mains power. Besides what was mentioned for
generators, accidentally chaining an APC UPS into AC provided
by a server room UPS can kill the downstream UPS.

- For controlled shutdowns on battery exhaustion, check out apcupsd.

- Decide whether your UPS will power one server or a few. If you're
powering a few, decide whether the control is master-slave (which
you can do with a serial/USB cable to the master, then network
to the slaves), or if you need the more expensive setup where the
UPS talks directly to multiple servers. I think the former is fine
(as long as your network switches are on the UPS), but ymmv.

Devin