Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Bernard Fay

Default CentOS 5.5 yum update with reference to 5.6

Hello group,

I have a CentOS 5.5 server freshly installed.

When I do a yum updated package_name, I have referenced to 5.6.* Why?

Here is an example:

yum update vsftpd --changelog
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, securityaddons/other********************************************* ************************************************** ***** |* 192 B**** 00:00****
base/other_db****************************************** ************************************************** ******* |* 11 MB**** 00:50****
extras/other_db****************************************** ************************************************** ***** | 442 kB**** 00:01****
updates/other_db****************************************** ************************************************** **** | 2.8 MB**** 00:11****
http://centos.arcticnetwork.ca/5.6/updates/x86_64/repodata/other.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.updates/other_db****************************************** ************************************************** **** | 2.7 MB**** 00:22****
** base: mirror.science.uottawa.ca** extras: mirror.science.uottawa.ca
** updates: mirror.science.uottawa.caSkipping security plugin, no data
Setting up Update ProcessResolving Dependencies
Skipping security plugin, no data--> Running transaction check
---> Package vsftpd.x86_64 0:2.0.5-16.el5_6.1 set to be updated--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Changes in packages about to be updated:
vsftpd-2.0.5-16.el5_6.1.x86_64* Fri Mar* 4 17:00:00 2011 Jiri Skala <jskala@redhat.com> - 2.0.5-16.el5_6.1
- Resolves: #681893 - CVE-2011-0762 vsftpd: remote DoS via crafted glob pattern
* Thu Apr* 8 18:00:00 2010 Jiri Skala <jskala@redhat.com> - 2.0.5-16.el5_5.1
- Resolves: #580055 - vsftpd prematurely closes connection just before processing of post-auth command- Resolves: #580396 - vsftpd issues in RHEL5
Dependencies Resolved
================================================== ================================================== ====================================
*Package********************* Arch************************ Version********************************* Repository******************** Size
================================================== ================================================== ====================================
Updating:*vsftpd********************** x86_64********************** 2.0.5-16.el5_6.1************************ updates********************** 139 k
Transaction Summary=========================================== ================================================== ===========================================
Install****** 0 Package(s)Upgrade****** 1 Package(s)
Total download size: 139 k

The version installed is 5.5:

[root@future_qljnl51p yum.repos.d]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:*** :core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID:*** CentOSDescription:*** CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
Release:*** 5.5Codename:*** Final

--
Bernard

Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

centos-bounces@centos.org wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I have a CentOS 5.5 server freshly installed.
>
> When I do a yum updated package_name, I have referenced to 5.6. Why?

CentOS *finally* pushed 5.6 out the door, so you can expect any 5.5
system to upgrade to 5.6.
Mine did, painlessly.

//me

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
William Hooper

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Bernard Fay <bernard.fay@enodegroup.com> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I have a CentOS 5.5 server freshly installed.
>
> When I do a yum updated package_name, I have referenced to 5.6.* Why?

CentOS "point releases" track the upstream "Update x" releases. So
CentOS 5.6 is upstream version 5 update 6. The point releases are not
a separate product, just a batch of updates to the base product. As
soon as you do a "yum update" to get all the new updates you will have
a 5.6 install.

https://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34

--
William Hooper

Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Bernard Fay

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM, William Hooper <whooperhsd@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Bernard Fay <bernard.fay@enodegroup.com> wrote:

> Hello group,

> I have a CentOS 5.5 server freshly installed.

> When I do a yum updated package_name, I have referenced to 5.6.* Why?

CentOS "point releases" track the upstream "Update x" releases. *So

CentOS 5.6 is upstream version 5 update 6. *The point releases are not

a separate product, just a batch of updates to the base product. *As

soon as you do a "yum update" to get all the new updates you will have

a 5.6 install.

https://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34

--

William Hooper

Oh ok!* I didn't know about this way of tracking version in CentOS.* It is a different paradigm from the other distros at least for the one I know.

Thanks guys,

Bernard