Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Peter Peltonen

Default Monitoring power consumption

Hi all,

I would like to monitor the power consumption of my server. What I am
looking for is:

* a simple monitoring device that would measure the power consumption
of 1 server

* a way to get the consumption reading from that device to my centos
server (via usb / wlan / whatever works)

Any suggestions?

Best,
Peter

Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Rafa Griman

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Peter Peltonen
<peter.peltonen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to monitor the power consumption of my server. What I am
> looking for is:
>
> * a simple monitoring device that would measure the power consumption
> of 1 server
>
> * a way to get the consumption reading from that device to my centos
> server (via usb / wlan / whatever works)
>
> Any suggestions?

Does your server support IPMI (iLO, BMC, ...)?

IPMI's quite easy and useful.

HTH

Rafa

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Peter,

I have never done it directly of a servers PSU, however I am sure it can be done via SNMP or on a lower level via a management interface(iLO, B/RSA, etc..).

However I have done it from a good APC PDU that had SNMP monitoring for all kinds of power aspects.

Hope that helps.

Aly

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Peter Peltonen

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM, <aly.khimji@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never done it directly of a servers PSU, however I am sure it can be done via SNMP or on a lower level via a management interface(iLO, B/RSA, etc..).
>
> However I have done it from a good APC PDU that had SNMP monitoring for all kinds of *power aspects.

I am also looking for a way to measure other devices than computers
and I want to collect this information to the centos server. But I
guess it doesn't matter what kind of device I connect to the PDU, it
still can measure its power consumption and report it somehow?

Can you recommend any cheap model? I was aware of these PDU's
existing, but I haven't really considered them as they probably are
quite expensive as they do also many other things (monitor the load of
the server etc)...

Best,
Peter

Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
"compdoc"

> I would like to monitor the power consumption of my server. What I am
looking for is:

How about an external device? I own one of those killawatt devices. You can
program in your local power cost, and it displays how much it actually costs
to run the server. (along with lots of other info)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Peter Peltonen

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> How about an external device? I own one of those killawatt devices. You can
> program in your local power cost, and it displays how much it actually costs
> to run the server. (along with lots of other info)

An external device would be fine if I could somehow transfer the
information to my centos server where I want to remotely access /
process this information.

Best,
Peter

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

I'm not aware of an IPMI command that shows current power consumption.

Kai

Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> I'm not aware of an IPMI command that shows current power consumption.

That entirely depends on the system as far as I'm aware.

Dell R610 will give you this information from "ipmitool sdr":

Current 1 | 0.28 Amps | ok
Current 2 | 0.28 Amps | ok
Voltage 1 | 240 Volts | ok
Voltage 2 | 238 Volts | ok
System Level | 126 Watts | ok

So that's per-PSU volts and amps, and a combined power figure.

Not quite as nice as what you can get out of the dell specific tools, as it'll
then return you peaks and total power consumption since a point in time.

jh

Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM

Peter,

The ones I used were from APC and are under the product line of Metered Rack PDU, u can find them on the apc website. Here are a few product numbers from that line(APC7800,801,802) they all have web, snmp (u can graph with MRTG, or whatever), Telnet access, etc.. they start at about 300USD from what I've seen.

HTH

Aly

Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Tom Diehl

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> How about an external device? I own one of those killawatt devices. You can
>> program in your local power cost, and it displays how much it actually costs
>> to run the server. (along with lots of other info)
>
> An external device would be fine if I could somehow transfer the
> information to my centos server where I want to remotely access /
> process this information.

Since killawatt was brought up, how about
http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

Tom Diehl tdiehl@rogueind.com Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com