Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Alexander Farber

Default CentOS 5.6 and php53 packages

Hello fellow CentOS users,

until now I was using CentOS 5.5 with php 5.3 through this file:

# grep -v ^# /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
[c5-testing]
name=CentOS-5 Testing
baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://dev.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-testing
includepkgs=php*

Today I have updated to CentOS 5.6 by running "yum update"
and only after that (mea culpa!) I've noticed at
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.6 -

6.2. New packages in 5.6 that were not present in 5.5
bind97
hplip3
php53

Do you think it is safe to remove /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
and run "yum update" again or will my Drupal 7 site burn and die?

Thanks
Alex

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 04/13/2011 08:59 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Do you think it is safe to remove /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo

yes,

> and run "yum update" again or will my Drupal 7 site burn and die?

You should be fine. the php53 is now in the main distro. The testing
packages were put into the Testing repo so that people could do just
that - test and see how their apps get along, before 5.6 gets released.

- KB

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/13/2011 02:59 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hello fellow CentOS users,
>
> until now I was using CentOS 5.5 with php 5.3 through this file:
>
> # grep -v ^# /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
> [c5-testing]
> name=CentOS-5 Testing
> baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://dev.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-testing
> includepkgs=php*
>
> Today I have updated to CentOS 5.6 by running "yum update"
> and only after that (mea culpa!) I've noticed at
> http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.6 -
>
> 6.2. New packages in 5.6 that were not present in 5.5
> bind97
> hplip3
> php53
>
> Do you think it is safe to remove /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Testing.repo
> and run "yum update" again or will my Drupal 7 site burn and die?

Unless you have an exclude=php* or exclude=php53 in your
CentOS-Base.repo, you likely have already upgraded.

The php53 rpms in the updates directory are
php53-5.3.3-1.el5_6.1.src.rpm wich is newer than the version that is in
testing (php53-5.3.3-1.el5.src.rpm)

If you do this, you can see which version is installed:

rpm -qa php53*

You will likely see packages with "el5_6.1" in the name.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Alexander Farber

Thank you for the replies and the new release