-   -   audio recorder compatibility (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/513387-audio-recorder-compatibility.html)

ken 04-12-2011 10:12 PM

audio recorder compatibility

I'm shopping for a small/tiny audio recorder, the kind for recording in
a class, interviews, etc... not really music, just voice. Per usual, a
lot of these write their audio files in some Windows format, e.g., WMA.
As a confirmed Linux guy, I'd want to offload the audio files in some
format that Linux can read/play natively. I've read a sketchy
suggestion that there's a Linux app or utility to do a translation from
WMA, <http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127583>, but I always like to
keep things as simple as possible and so would much prefer avoiding the
hassle and possible failure of conversion apps and Windows-format crap
generally.

Secondly, connecting to my laptop... I've got a sound card, but it
doesn't have LineIn, just mike and headphone jacks; neither of these is
good for input, but... Many audio recorders these days connect with USB
(which I've got), so that's the most likely connection path.

Given these parameters, does anyone have good experiences with a really
small audio recorder and offloading and then playing its sound files on
Linux?

Thanks much.

--
Anything is easy if you know how to do it.

"B.J. McClure" 04-13-2011 01:06 AM

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 18:12 -0400, ken wrote:
> I'm shopping for a small/tiny audio recorder, the kind for recording in
> a class, interviews, etc... not really music, just voice. Per usual, a
> lot of these write their audio files in some Windows format, e.g., WMA.
> As a confirmed Linux guy, I'd want to offload the audio files in some
> format that Linux can read/play natively. I've read a sketchy
> suggestion that there's a Linux app or utility to do a translation from
> WMA, <http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127583>, but I always like to
> keep things as simple as possible and so would much prefer avoiding the
> hassle and possible failure of conversion apps and Windows-format crap
> generally.
>
> Secondly, connecting to my laptop... I've got a sound card, but it
> doesn't have LineIn, just mike and headphone jacks; neither of these is
> good for input, but... Many audio recorders these days connect with USB
> (which I've got), so that's the most likely connection path.
>
> Given these parameters, does anyone have good experiences with a really
> small audio recorder and offloading and then playing its sound files on
> Linux?
>

> Thanks much.

Sony ICD-PX820. Records in mp3 format, connects with usb. Sweet.

Cheers,
B.J.

Tue Apr 12 21:05:03 EDT 2011, RHEL 6, Linux 2.6.32-71.24.1.el6.x86_64
x86_64

allan 04-13-2011 01:55 AM

audio recorder compatibility

Hi Ken,
If yer stuck with WMA, mplayer will convert to WAV format using
`mplayer filename.WMA -ao pcm:waveheader`
which will create a fixed name file, audiodump.wav which then can be encoded MP3 using lame or other encoder.
My wife had a problem with her recorder in that it *only* created WMA.
A bash script kicks off to convert the WMA -> WAV -> mp3. She is happy (and so am I).
Peace,
Allan

John R Pierce 04-13-2011 02:12 AM

On 04/12/11 3:12 PM, ken wrote:
> I'm shopping for a small/tiny audio recorder, the kind for recording in
> a class, interviews, etc...

my wife has a little Olympus voice recorder, it supports recording in
several qualities of .mp3 files, but there's lots of software on lunix
that will play .wma, like VLC.

her pocket recorder looks like a flash card when its plugged in via USB,
and has folders A, B, C, D (that you can select before recording) and
then numbered files in each folder. runs a gazillion hours on a couple
AAA batts. and was quite cheap.

btw, for other applications... you can get a patch cord that will
convert 'line' audio outputs to 'mic' level inputs, its just got a few
resistors in it to reduce the signal 100:1. these are often called an
'attenuator cord'. on the other hand, the mic inputs on most laptops
are mediochre sound quality at best.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 04-13-2011 11:03 AM

ken wrote:
> As a confirmed Linux guy, I'd want to offload the audio files in some
> format that Linux can read/play natively. I've read a sketchy
> suggestion that there's a Linux app or utility to do a translation from
> WMA, <http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127583>, but I always like to
> keep things as simple as possible and so would much prefer avoiding the
> hassle and possible failure of conversion apps and Windows-format crap
> generally.

To those that replied with WMV/MP3 formats: Please READ the post
CAREFULLY before you jump the gun.

NATIVE Linux format is for example .ogg, because Fedora/RHEL and few
other distributions only use *OSS* codecs. MP3 and WMV are proprietary
codecs, so they are not natively supported on LInux.

Many players can play FLAC Vorbis/OGG, but I can not see any that can
record in FLAC or Vorbis.

Please visit
http://wiki.xiph.org/PortablePlayers and
to see what can fit your needs.

Also, try googling with:
"vorbis" +portable +voice +recorder -software and try to find detailed
info or write to manufacturers.

You could also google for Vorbis encoding chips/processor and see who
makes them and who buys them. I think that is the most important feature
for portable encoder/recorder. MP3 encoder chips already exist for a
long time.

Ljubomir

Nick 04-13-2011 11:42 AM

audio recorder compatibility

You might look into a SanDisk Sansa Clip+. (I don't own one, but I know someone
who does.)

This:
- supports playback of Ogg files (amongst other things) [1,2,3].
- can record audio (although I believe this may be in WAV format [2,4])
- has USB, can behave as a mass storage device, so works fine with Linux
- has a microSD card reader.
- is the size of a matchbox

I've read a suggestion [4] that Rockbox [5] might be installed as a way to allow
the device to record in MP3 format [6,7].

One caveat: European versions have their volume limited, due to EU health and
safety rules. However, this can be circumvented by resetting the firmware and
choosing another locality, possibly modulo some loss of FM radio functionality.

1.
http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clipplus-mp3-player
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk_Sansa
3. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-917677.html
4.
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Site-suggestions-Product-feature/Voice-and-FM-Recording-format/m-p/103928#M1001
5. http://www.rockbox.org/
5. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip#Clip_43_variants
6.
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-buildch10.html#x13-14800010

Les Mikesell 04-13-2011 06:40 PM

On 4/12/2011 5:12 PM, ken wrote:
> I'm shopping for a small/tiny audio recorder, the kind for recording in
> a class, interviews, etc... not really music, just voice. Per usual, a
> lot of these write their audio files in some Windows format, e.g., WMA.
> As a confirmed Linux guy, I'd want to offload the audio files in some
> format that Linux can read/play natively. I've read a sketchy
> suggestion that there's a Linux app or utility to do a translation from
> WMA,<http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127583>, but I always like to
> keep things as simple as possible and so would much prefer avoiding the
> hassle and possible failure of conversion apps and Windows-format crap
> generally.
>
> Secondly, connecting to my laptop... I've got a sound card, but it
> doesn't have LineIn, just mike and headphone jacks; neither of these is
> good for input, but... Many audio recorders these days connect with USB
> (which I've got), so that's the most likely connection path.
>
> Given these parameters, does anyone have good experiences with a really
> small audio recorder and offloading and then playing its sound files on
> Linux?

Android phones have an app called 'voice recorder' (and probably others)
that might be good enough to avoid carrying another device. The one on
my phone stores an .asf file. I don't have a linux box with audio
enabled but I think mplayer is supposed to handled that.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 04-13-2011 08:49 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 5:12 PM, ken wrote:
>> I'm shopping for a small/tiny audio recorder, the kind for recording in
>> a class, interviews, etc... not really music, just voice. Per usual, a
>> lot of these write their audio files in some Windows format, e.g., WMA.
>> As a confirmed Linux guy, I'd want to offload the audio files in some
>> format that Linux can read/play natively. I've read a sketchy
>> suggestion that there's a Linux app or utility to do a translation from
>> WMA,<http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/127583>, but I always like to
>> keep things as simple as possible and so would much prefer avoiding the
>> hassle and possible failure of conversion apps and Windows-format crap
>> generally.
>>
>> Secondly, connecting to my laptop... I've got a sound card, but it
>> doesn't have LineIn, just mike and headphone jacks; neither of these is
>> good for input, but... Many audio recorders these days connect with USB
>> (which I've got), so that's the most likely connection path.
>>
>> Given these parameters, does anyone have good experiences with a really
>> small audio recorder and offloading and then playing its sound files on
>> Linux?
>
> Android phones have an app called 'voice recorder' (and probably others)
> that might be good enough to avoid carrying another device. The one on
> my phone stores an .asf file. I don't have a linux box with audio
> enabled but I think mplayer is supposed to handled that.

ASF is Microsoft proprietary format. MPlayer can play it only if you add
non-foss decoder/codec.

Ljubomir