Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Default IMHO only RHEL is better than CentOS...

On Apr 12, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Cal Webster wrote:

> ...based on my experience, for use in all non-certified enterprise
> operations (large and small) on general-purpose computers.

Wow, what a great post.

Thanks Carl, very cool.

Hope you aren't retiring any time soon, I see too many barnies in
charge making thoughtless decisions. As a consultant I'm often on the
outside looking in and what I see is a scary trend of rash and
flippant choices.

- aurf

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Cal Webster

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 14:08 -0700, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Cal Webster wrote:
>
> > ...based on my experience, for use in all non-certified enterprise
> > operations (large and small) on general-purpose computers.
>
> Wow, what a great post.
>
> Thanks Carl, very cool.

Thanks for letting me know someone read it Aurf. If I've helped
encourage even one I'm happy.

> Hope you aren't retiring any time soon, I see too many barnies in
> charge making thoughtless decisions. As a consultant I'm often on the
> outside looking in and what I see is a scary trend of rash and
> flippant choices.
>
> - aurf

Retire? Not likely anytime soon with 3 kids, 5 grandkids (and many
pseudo-grands) and more on the way. Besides, there's so much left to see
and do and so little time... Thanks to CentOS and OSS I'll never really
have to retire anyway. ;-)

./Cal

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Cal Webster wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 14:08 -0700, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for letting me know someone read it Aurf. If I've helped
> encourage even one I'm happy.

I also read it, and even it's 01h after too long day, now I found it
interesting to read and fine praise for CentOS team.

Ljubomir

Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 AM
"Christopher J. Buckley"

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:43, Cal Webster <cwebster@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> Also, the upstream vendor provides no economical
> way to mirror RHEL updates on isolated networks - Satellite is out of
> the question. RHEL 4 updates must be painstakingly retrieved manually,
> one at a time, on the "Internet machine" before transport and
> distribution to internal networks

Why not purchase RHN Proxy instead?

--
Kind Regards,
Christopher J. Buckley

Old 04-13-2011, 01:11 AM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Christopher J. Buckley wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:43, Cal Webster <cwebster@ec.rr.com> wrote:
>> Also, the upstream vendor provides no economical
>> way to mirror RHEL updates on isolated networks - Satellite is out of
>> the question. RHEL 4 updates must be painstakingly retrieved
>> manually,
>> one at a time, on the "Internet machine" before transport and
>> distribution to internal networks
>
> Why not purchase RHN Proxy instead?

I would guess that it doesn't pass FIPS, DoD, etc... compliance.

I did a little work in the area and its pretty intense.

- aurf

Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/12/2011 08:09 PM, Christopher J. Buckley wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:43, Cal Webster <cwebster@ec.rr.com> wrote:
>> Also, the upstream vendor provides no economical
>> way to mirror RHEL updates on isolated networks - Satellite is out of
>> the question. RHEL 4 updates must be painstakingly retrieved manually,
>> one at a time, on the "Internet machine" before transport and
>> distribution to internal networks
>
> Why not purchase RHN Proxy instead?

Dag has a product called mrepo that can mirror RHEL4 very easily.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Calvin Webster

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 02:09 +0100, Christopher J. Buckley wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:43, Cal Webster <cwebster@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> > Also, the upstream vendor provides no economical
> > way to mirror RHEL updates on isolated networks - Satellite is out of
> > the question. RHEL 4 updates must be painstakingly retrieved manually,
> > one at a time, on the "Internet machine" before transport and
> > distribution to internal networks
>
> Why not purchase RHN Proxy instead?

Prohibitively expensive for our budget. We'd have to purchase 2 (one
external/internet and 1 internal/intranet) and I'd still have to
sneakernet the data and sync.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Calvin Webster

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 06:11 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/12/2011 08:09 PM, Christopher J. Buckley wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 21:43, Cal Webster <cwebster@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> >> Also, the upstream vendor provides no economical
> >> way to mirror RHEL updates on isolated networks - Satellite is out of
> >> the question. RHEL 4 updates must be painstakingly retrieved manually,
> >> one at a time, on the "Internet machine" before transport and
> >> distribution to internal networks
> >
> > Why not purchase RHN Proxy instead?
> >

> Dag has a product called mrepo that can mirror RHEL4 very easily.
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

Hmm... wasn't aware of that. I'll take a look - thanks Johnny!