Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Default SNMP monitoring options

Hi all,

Been using Cacti for monitoring various things like, system disk/mem/
proc, network usage, router usage etc...

While its been fun, the graphs are just unruly.

Was looking an OpsView (the free version), wondering what your
experience with this type of trend/heuristic analysis has been and
what what you like.

And of course thoughts on OpsView.

- aurf

Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Bob Hepple

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:53:41 -0700
aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Been using Cacti for monitoring various things like, system disk/mem/
> proc, network usage, router usage etc...
>
> While its been fun, the graphs are just unruly.
>
> Was looking an OpsView (the free version), wondering what your
> experience with this type of trend/heuristic analysis has been and
> what what you like.
>
> And of course thoughts on OpsView.

My 5 penn'o'rth ...

We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
(community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at was
zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and liking
of nagios.

What we liked in Opsview were:

based on nagios - solid pedigree, good technology, our own previous
experience, lots of plugins built-in or available, in extremis you can
look at the nice ascii configuration files and see what's going on. You
also have an escape route to nagios if opsview disappears (but they
appear to be thriving AFAIK).

easy to extend to custom tests/monitors using eg ssh scripts

data sets are right in front of you - it would be easy to grab
your data and run with it, if you had to (not that I've done much with
it, but it's nice to know that your data is not held hostage in some
binary silo).

very light feel - I mean it's light on resources both on the testing
machine and on the targets. It would probably scale up well (we only
monitor about a dozen or so systems).

pointy-click - so there is the (remote) possibility that I could lob
this off onto someone else! The graphical i/f is rational - unlike some
others eg zenoss which I just couldn't get my poor old head around _at
all_!!!

opsview people and community are helpful, positive, approachable etc
etc Community project is keenly supported and not just poor-cousin to
paid-for product. Just like this newsgroup - if you post a message
you're very likely to get someone pipe up with a helpful reply.

As for trending/heuristics - the graphs are good enough for us as-is
and the knowledge that you can plug-out a feed to your own
datastore/analysis is comforting.

The bad?

nothing really. Well, twist my arm - the web i/f can be a bit ponderous
and there's a couple of gotchas that you just have to know about eg you
can make all the changes you like, but nothing actually takes effect
until you find the configuration page and press the reload button.
Also, new monitors need two re-loads before the graphs appear. I'm just
mentioning them to illustrate how trivial my gripes are.

Hope this helps ...

Bob

--
Bob Hepple <bhepple@promptu.com>
ph: 07-5584-5908 Fx: 07-5575-9550

Old 04-13-2011, 01:30 AM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Bob Hepple wrote:

> [...]
> paid-for product. Just like this newsgroup - if you post a message
> you're very likely to get someone pipe up with a helpful reply.
>
> As for trending/heuristics - the graphs are good enough for us as-is
> and the knowledge that you can plug-out a feed to your own
> datastore/analysis is comforting.
>
> The bad?
>
> nothing really. Well, twist my arm - the web i/f can be a bit
> ponderous
> and there's a couple of gotchas that you just have to know about eg
> you
> can make all the changes you like, but nothing actually takes effect
> until you find the configuration page and press the reload button.
> Also, new monitors need two re-loads before the graphs appear. I'm
> just
> mentioning them to illustrate how trivial my gripes are.

Thanks Bob, great post.

Looking forward to Opsview.

- aurf

Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Les Mikesell

On 4/12/11 2:53 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Been using Cacti for monitoring various things like, system disk/mem/
> proc, network usage, router usage etc...
>
> While its been fun, the graphs are just unruly.
>
> Was looking an OpsView (the free version), wondering what your
> experience with this type of trend/heuristic analysis has been and
> what what you like.
>
> And of course thoughts on OpsView.

Can't really comment on OpsView but I'd recommend looking at OpenNMS too.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 AM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 6:42 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 4/12/11 2:53 PM, aurfalien@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Been using Cacti for monitoring various things like, system disk/mem/
>> proc, network usage, router usage etc...
>>
>> While its been fun, the graphs are just unruly.
>>
>> Was looking an OpsView (the free version), wondering what your
>> experience with this type of trend/heuristic analysis has been and
>> what what you like.
>>
>> And of course thoughts on OpsView.
>
> Can't really comment on OpsView but I'd recommend looking at OpenNMS
> too.

Will do Les.

Thanks.

- aurf

Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Keith Keller

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23:19AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:

> We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
> (community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at was
> zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and liking
> of nagios.

So, if I already have a working nagios that I like, are there any
advantages to Opsview community? I only have about 100 services I
monitor, and I doubt it'd grow a huge amount in the near future.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Bob Hepple

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:33:34 -0700
Keith Keller <kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23:19AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
> >
> > We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
> > (community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at was
> > zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and liking
> > of nagios.
>
> So, if I already have a working nagios that I like, are there any
> advantages to Opsview community? I only have about 100 services I
> monitor, and I doubt it'd grow a huge amount in the near future.

Well, the gui admin interface is appealing to some. Then the integrated
graphics. Mostly the stock nagios probes are 1:1 compatible (actually
identical) to the Opsview ones.

That said, I haven't ever done a port from nagios to opsview - you
might want to take a look at the opsview site and lists for that topic.

Cheers

Bob

Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Peter Hinse

Am 13.04.2011 04:33, schrieb Keith Keller:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23:19AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
>>
>> We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
>> (community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at was
>> zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and liking
>> of nagios.
>
> So, if I already have a working nagios that I like, are there any
> advantages to Opsview community? I only have about 100 services I
> monitor, and I doubt it'd grow a huge amount in the near future.

You might have a look at the Icinga project (actually a nagios fork)
with a much nicer interface, API etc.

http://www.icinga.org

Regards,
Peter

Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 PM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Keith Keller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23:19AM +1000, Bob Hepple wrote:
>>
>> We looked at a number of monitoring systems before closing on
>> (community version) Opsview. The main other contender we looked at
>> was
>> zenoss - I have to admit I was biased due to previous use of and
>> liking
>> of nagios.
>
> So, if I already have a working nagios that I like, are there any
> advantages to Opsview community? I only have about 100 services I
> monitor, and I doubt it'd grow a huge amount in the near future.

Well, Nagios is more for outage/alerts were I was looking more for
trending.

Thats why I was originally using Cacti w/Nagios plugin.

- aurf

Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Well, Nagios is more for outage/alerts were I was looking more for
>trending.
>
>Thats why I was originally using Cacti w/Nagios plugin.

There are plenty of graphing/trending addons for Nagios, I moved to
Icinga and use PNP4Nagios with it.