Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Got no login screen with the new 5.6 kernel

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Stanley A. Klein wrote on 04/12/2011 01:55 PM:
>> I did the 5.6 update yesterday. When I started the machine today, I did
>> not get a login screen -- it was just a blank screen with no cursor or
>> anything. I shut down, restarted and when grub came up selected the
>> previous kernel. The system came up as usual, presented a login screen,
>> and is working OK.
>>
>> There is apparently something buggy related to the new kernel
>> (2.6.18-238.5.1.el5).
>
> How far did it get during the boot - to where the GUI login should have
> been displayed, or did it die earlier? Anything enlightening in
> /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Did you try a boot to
> runlevel 3 or 1 to debug?

My reaction, also: on boot, edit the kernel line to either runlevel 3, or
s (single user mode), and I'll wager you see the screen. If so, then your
problem is the video driver used by X. HOPEFULLY, there's
system-config-display, otherwise, you screw with /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
startx until you get something, then you can use the GUI tools.

mark

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM
"Stanley A. Klein"

On Wed, April 13, 2011 12:00 pm, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Message: 30
> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:10:52 -0400
> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Got no login screen with the new 5.6 kernel

> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Stanley A. Klein wrote on 04/12/2011 01:55 PM:
>>> I did the 5.6 update yesterday. When I started the machine today, I
>>> did
>>> not get a login screen -- it was just a blank screen with no cursor or
>>> anything. I shut down, restarted and when grub came up selected the
>>> previous kernel. The system came up as usual, presented a login
>>> screen,
>>> and is working OK.
>>>
>>> There is apparently something buggy related to the new kernel
>>> (2.6.18-238.5.1.el5).
>>
>> How far did it get during the boot - to where the GUI login should have
>> been displayed, or did it die earlier? Anything enlightening in
>> /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Did you try a boot to
>> runlevel 3 or 1 to debug?
>
> My reaction, also: on boot, edit the kernel line to either runlevel 3, or
> s (single user mode), and I'll wager you see the screen. If so, then your
> problem is the video driver used by X. HOPEFULLY, there's
> system-config-display, otherwise, you screw with /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> startx until you get something, then you can use the GUI tools.
>
> mark

Problem solved, but rather strange.

When I first booted with the previous kernel I looked at /var/log/messages
and didn't see anything useful. Today, I selected the previous kernel
from the grub screen and looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The date in the
file was today, so that was from the current boot, not from the time it
failed to give the login screen.

I edited inittab to default to runlevel 3. I got the runlevel 3 login
prompt, did startx, and the GUI came up. I restored the runlevel 5
default in inittab and rebooted letting the new kernel get selected by
default. The login screen came up.

It must have had something to do with the initialization of X on the first
boot under 5.6.

Your suggestions helped.

Thanks.

Stan Klein

Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 AM
David McGuffey

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 19:14 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> On Wed, April 13, 2011 12:00 pm, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > Phil Schaffner wrote:

> Problem solved, but rather strange.
>
> When I first booted with the previous kernel I looked at /var/log/messages
> and didn't see anything useful. Today, I selected the previous kernel
> from the grub screen and looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The date in the
> file was today, so that was from the current boot, not from the time it
> failed to give the login screen.
>
> I edited inittab to default to runlevel 3. I got the runlevel 3 login
> prompt, did startx, and the GUI came up. I restored the runlevel 5
> default in inittab and rebooted letting the new kernel get selected by
> default. The login screen came up.
>
> It must have had something to do with the initialization of X on the first
> boot under 5.6.
>
> Your suggestions helped.
>
> Thanks.

I had a grainy display and strange colors after my update. I ended up
reinstalling the xorg drivers, selecting an incorrect video card, which
caused X to probe the hardware and build a good config. Something
definitely bizarre about the 5.6 upgrade and X.

Dave M