Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Matthew Feinberg

Default 40TB File System Recommendations

Hello All

I have a brand spanking new 40TB Hardware Raid6 array to play around
with. I am looking for recommendations for which filesystem to use. I am
trying not to break this up into multiple file systems as we are going
to use it for backups. Other factors is performance and reliability.

CentOS 5.6

array is /dev/sdb

So here is what I have tried so far
reiserfs is limited to 16TB
ext4 does not seem to be fully baked in 5.6 yet. parted 1.8 does not
support creating ext4 (strange)

Anyone work with large filesystems like this that have any
suggestions/recommendations?

--
Matthew Feinberg
matthew@choopa.com

Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 AM
John R Pierce

On 04/12/11 12:23 AM, Matthew Feinberg wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a brand spanking new 40TB Hardware Raid6 array

never mind file systems... is that one raid set? do you have any idea
how LONG rebuilding that is going to take when there are any drive
hiccups? or how painfully slow writes will be until its rebuilt? is
that something like 22 x 2TB or 16 x 3TB? I'll bet a raid rebuild
takes nearly a WEEK, maybe even longer..

I am very strongly NOT in favor of raid6, even for nearline bulk backup
storage. I would sacrifice the space and format that as raid10, and
have at LEAST a couple hot spares too.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Bent Terp

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Matthew Feinberg <matthew@choopa.com> wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a brand spanking new 40TB Hardware Raid6 array to play around
> with. I am looking for recommendations for which filesystem to use. I am
> trying not to break this up into multiple file systems as we are going
> to use it for backups. Other factors is performance and reliability.

We've been very happy with XFS, as it allows us to add diskspace
through LVM and grow the filesystem online - we've had to reboot the
server when we add new diskenclosures, but that's not XFS's fault...

BR Bent

Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Alain Péan

Le 12/04/2011 09:23, Matthew Feinberg a écrit :
> Hello All
>
> I have a brand spanking new 40TB Hardware Raid6 array to play around
> with. I am looking for recommendations for which filesystem to use. I am
> trying not to break this up into multiple file systems as we are going
> to use it for backups. Other factors is performance and reliability.
>
> CentOS 5.6
>
> array is /dev/sdb
>
> So here is what I have tried so far
> reiserfs is limited to 16TB
> ext4 does not seem to be fully baked in 5.6 yet. parted 1.8 does not
> support creating ext4 (strange)
>
> Anyone work with large filesystems like this that have any
> suggestions/recommendations?

Hi Matthew,

I would go for xfs, which is now supported in CentOS. This is what I use
for a 16 TB storage, with CentOS 5.3 (Rocks Cluster), and it woks fine.
No problem with lengthy fsck, as with ext3 (which does not support such
capacities). I did not try yet ext4...

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33