Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Lucian

Default GUI Software Raid Monitor Software

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM, <jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy to install GUI software raid monitoring software that I can
> use to send me an email when there are errors (or am I asking too much).
> Thanks.

Try Webmin if you're afraid of the cli.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 AM
John R Pierce

On 04/11/11 8:07 PM, jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com wrote:
> Is there an easy to install GUI software raid monitoring software that
> I can use to send me an email when there are errors (or am I asking
> too much).

I for one wouldn't want my notifications dependent on a GUI application
running. now, if by 'gui', you really mean a web interface to a
resident management service demon, thats a different story.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 AM

For me*mdadm is fine but if I set a server for a friend, relative or client I want to be notified by email if something goes wrong, I*mostly (99.5%) work on windows*so*I don't really know what's out there for Linux. I was very impressed with the performance I*got on CentOS 5.6 using software Raid 10 so I'm looking. Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 AM

*I'm a Windows and an old guy, I don't really know what I mean. Thanks.
*

Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 4/12/11, jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com <jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com> wrote:
> For me mdadm is fine but if I set a server for a friend, relative or client
> I want to be notified by email if something goes wrong, I mostly (99.5%)
> work on windows so I don't really know what's out there for Linux. I was
> very impressed with the performance I got on CentOS 5.6 using software Raid
> 10 so I'm looking. Thanks

If the email notification is what you need, this script from this site
might be enough
http://my.sohost.eu/knowledgebase/4/Monitor-Linux-software-RAID-array-with-e-mail-notification.html

Just remember to change the email address accordingly.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Thank you, That's all I need.*
*

Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com wrote:
> I was very impressed with the performance I got on CentOS 5.6
> using software Raid 10 so I'm looking. Thanks

There are 3 ways to setup RAID 10 on Linux (mdadm). There are -n2 -f2
and -o2 options (near, far and offset) and best for ordinary use is
far (f2).

Here is some numbers from:
http://blog.jamponi.net/2007/12/some-raid10-performance-numbers.html

# the kernel is 2.6.22.12, openSUSE "default" kernel
# the CPU is an AMD x86-64, x2 3600+ in power-saving mode (1000 MHz)
# the MB is an EPoX MF570SLI which uses the nVidia MCP55 SATA (PCIe)
# the drives are 3 different makes of SATA II, 7200 rpm
# each drive is capable of not more than 75 MiB/s (at best - the
outermost tracks) and closer to 70 MiB/s the

In MiB/s
level format Writing Reading Writing Reading
(Degraded)(Degraded)
raid5 left-asymmetric 55 129 46 124
raid5 left-symmetric 54 123 50 122
raid5 right-asymmetric 54 124 49 124
raid5 right-symmetric 54 128 49 116
raid10 n2 103 95 103 104
raid10 o2 102 94 100 102
raid10 f2 97 162 97 51
raid0 - 205 186 n/a n/a

Or in indexes:
level format Writing Reading Writing Reading
(Degraded)(Degraded)
raid5 left-asymmetric 0.8 1.8 0.7 1.8
raid5 left-symmetric 0.8 1.8 0.7 1.7
raid5 right-asymmetric 0.8 1.8 0.7 1.8
raid5 right-symmetric 0.8 1.8 0.7 1.7
raid10 n2 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.4
raid10 o2 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.4
raid10 f2 1.4 2.3 1.4 0.7
raid0 - 3.0 2.8 n/a n/a

Ljubomir

Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/12/2011 12:29 AM, jvalidolnx@juanyjosefina.com wrote:
> I'm a Windows and an old guy, I don't really know what I mean. Thanks.

I thought the default setup that you get when you install on raid would
configure it to send email to root about problems (that is, you get an
entry for 'MAILADDR root' in /etc/mdadm.conf and an automatically
started madadm --monitor process). At least I don't remember doing
anything special to get those and there is a line:
# mdadm.conf written out by anaconda
at the top of the file.

So the only thing you should have to do is add an alias for root in
/etc/aliases to have this and the info that logwatch sends periodically
delivered to the address of your choice. Depending on your internet
connection and mail server, you might need some tweaking to make
outbound mail work, but that's a different question.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com