Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Antaryami Khuda

Default Dag's RHEL Rebuild Project.

I see um twitter dag's want to start his own RHEL rebuild.

Dag how much monies you do need?

I make contribution of 5.000 rupee if other join.

Ant

Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Christopher Chan

On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:12 AM, Antaryami Khuda wrote:
> I see um twitter dag's want to start his own RHEL rebuild.
>
> Dag how much monies you do need?
>
> I make contribution of 5.000 rupee if other join.

I'll cough up 5,000 leones when I get them!

Hordes, prepare to move out!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Peter A

On Monday, April 11, 2011 10:12:15 PM Antaryami Khuda wrote:
> I see um twitter dag's want to start his own RHEL rebuild.
>
> Dag how much monies you do need?
>
> I make contribution of 5.000 rupee if other join.
>
> Ant
This is really disrespectful to talk about on here. The devs spent a ton of
their spare time to develop centos, last thing you should talk about is
starting competing projects...

Peter.

--
Censorship: noun, circa 1591. a: Relief of the burden of independent thinking.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Keith Keller

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 09:12:15PM -0500, Antaryami Khuda wrote:
> I see um twitter dag's want to start his own RHEL rebuild.

Please take this offtopic discussion elsewhere.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Kai Schaetzl

+1

Kai

Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Ian Murray

> This is really disrespectful to talk about on here. The devs spent a ton of
> their spare time to develop centos, last thing you should talk about is
> starting competing projects...
>
> Peter.

Erm, the dev(s) *suggested* using an alternative distribution. The stated aims
are different, so it isn't in competition any more than RedHat is with CentOS.
As for off-topic, possibly... but it wouldn't be the first time an OT subject
has been allowed on the list.

I really don't get this list. The threads I have read on the Xen list suggest
there is no problem with a discussion about the relative merits of KVM so why is
everything so personal on this list? Something quite unhealthy is going on here,
IMHO.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Ian Murray wrote:

>> This is really disrespectful to talk about on here. The devs spent
>> a ton of
>> their spare time to develop centos, last thing you should talk
>> about is
>> starting competing projects...
>>
>> Peter.
>
> I really don't get this list. The threads I have read on the Xen
> list suggest
> there is no problem with a discussion about the relative merits of
> KVM so why is
> everything so personal on this list? Something quite unhealthy is
> going on here,
> IMHO.

Its not that at all (to me).

Then again the Xen lists don't have ppl whining about a missed rel
date with personal attaches about leadership.

The guys maintaining Centos have ownership of the project which
results in a sense of pride and personal feelings about it.

Plus, I think it was the timing of the post regarding DAGs RHEL like
project.

There is an order of magnitude more traffic on this list then on the
Xen list.

- aurf

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Keith Keller

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 07:59:56PM +0100, Ian Murray wrote:

> Erm, the dev(s) *suggested* using an alternative distribution.

The developers never suggested using this list to raise funds for any
alternative distributions.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Ian Murray

> On Apr 12, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Ian Murray wrote:
>

> >> This is really disrespectful to talk about on here. The devs spent
> >> a ton of
> >> their spare time to develop centos, last thing you should talk
> >> about is
> >> starting competing projects...
> >>
> >> Peter.
> >
> > I really don't get this list. The threads I have read on the Xen
> > list suggest
> > there is no problem with a discussion about the relative merits of
> > KVM so why is
> > everything so personal on this list? Something quite unhealthy is
> > going on here,
> > IMHO.
>
> Its not that at all (to me).
>
> Then again the Xen lists don't have ppl whining about a missed rel
> date with personal attaches about leadership.

I guess people are pretty happy with the way the Xen project is run.

> The guys maintaining Centos have ownership of the project which
> results in a sense of pride and personal feelings about it.

They have every right to be pride; no doubt a phenomenal amount of work goes
into CentOS and I don't think there is much/any gripe on this list of the
quality of the finished article. But of course, pride can be an inhibitor as
well..

> Plus, I think it was the timing of the post regarding DAGs RHEL like
> project.

Tensions are indeed running high, so yeah.

> There is an order of magnitude more traffic on this list then on the
> Xen list.

Erm, jury's out for me as to whether that would make a difference or not.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 PM

On Apr 12, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Ian Murray wrote:

> [...]

Well, I mentioned this to account for the social aspect. The more ppl
who are on the list, the greater the dynamics of the list.

I think technology is more about ppl then tech itself so the social
dynamic is a very tangible and important factor of it all.

- aurf