Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Robert Heller

Default whats the package that allows copy and paste between windows

> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> example in thunderbird)
> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>
> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?

No there is not. The clip board is part of X11 itself -- if X11 is
installed (if X11 is not installed, then you can't run the graphical
user interface or any GUI applications like thunderbird or firefox)
then the copy and paste logic is installed (or at least the low-level
part of it, eg the clip board -- each application implements the higher
level part, including the right-click menus.

Not all applications talk to all other applications (for a whole pile
of reasons). It has to do with the type of 'data' being copied and
pasted. Not all applications can copy or paste all types of data. Yes,
you can copy and paste stuff other than plain text and not all copying
and pasting is with plain text (almost all applications can copy and
paste plain text). If you are trying to copy HTML text from
thunderbird to a "console window" (I think you mean a GNome terminal),
this is not going to work. And you certainally can't copy an image
from thunderbird to a GNome terminal.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Robert Heller

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Robert Heller

> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> > I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> > after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> > example in thunderbird)
> > put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> > the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
> >
> > Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> > Thanks
> > Jerry
>
> you might be looking for gpm
> Description :
> Gpm provides mouse support to text-based Linux applications like the
> Emacs editor and the Midnight Commander file management system. Gpm
> also provides console cut-and-paste operations using the mouse and
> includes a program to allow pop-up menus to appear at the click of a
> mouse button.

Also note: gpm is for console windows only and NOT for X11 and it is not
possible to copy and paste between X11 applications and the non GUI
console windows. There isn't a 'universal' clip board. Gpm has its
clip board and X11 has its *separate* clip board (actually, each X
server has its own independent clip board, so it you run multiple X
servers you can copy and paste from one to another).

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Robert Heller

Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis wrote:
> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> example in thunderbird)
> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>
> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> Thanks
> Jerry

Sorry if wasnt explicit. Take an even simpler case
I can highlight some text in firefox and right click and copy,
I then cannot paste that text into an email with thunderbird.
I get the menu item actually to paste but when I select it nothing
populates.
I am certain I have done this in the past.

Lets leave the gnome-terminal out of the picture.

So I was wondering the if there is a particular package I could try
reinstalling.
But it sounds like its "built" into X so I doubt it.
Anything else to try before doing a fresh install?

Thanks so much,

Jerry

Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Robert Heller

> Jerry Geis wrote:
> > Jerry Geis wrote:
> >> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> >> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> >> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> >> example in thunderbird)
> >> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> >> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
> >>
> >> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> >> Thanks
> >> Jerry
> >>

> > Sorry if wasnt explicit. Take an even simpler case
> > I can highlight some text in firefox and right click and copy,
> > I then cannot paste that text into an email with thunderbird.
> > I get the menu item actually to paste but when I select it nothing
> > populates.
> > I am certain I have done this in the past.
>
> ok, clear. Yes that *should* work.
>
> > Lets leave the gnome-terminal out of the picture.
> >
> > So I was wondering the if there is a particular package I could try
> > reinstalling.
> > But it sounds like its "built" into X so I doubt it.
> > Anything else to try before doing a fresh install?
>
> does it work if you log in as another user?

So long as it is the same X Server. If you log into a different console
and then do a 'startx -- :1' (or :2, :3, etc.), then no it won't work.
If you just do a su or sudo su in a [gnome] terminal, then yes, it will
work.