Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Default whats the package that allows copy and paste between windows

Jerry Geis wrote:
> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> example in thunderbird)
> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>
> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> Thanks
> Jerry

you might be looking for gpm
Description :
Gpm provides mouse support to text-based Linux applications like the
Emacs editor and the Midnight Commander file management system. Gpm
also provides console cut-and-paste operations using the mouse and
includes a program to allow pop-up menus to appear at the click of a
mouse button.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
>>> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
>>> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
>>> example in thunderbird)
>>> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
>>> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>>>
>>> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
>>> Thanks
>>> Jerry
>>
>> you might be looking for gpm
>> Description :
>> Gpm provides mouse support to text-based Linux applications like the
>> Emacs editor and the Midnight Commander file management system. Gpm
>> also provides console cut-and-paste operations using the mouse and
>> includes a program to allow pop-up menus to appear at the click of a
>> mouse button.
>
> Also note: gpm is for console windows only and NOT for X11 and it is not
> possible to copy and paste between X11 applications and the non GUI
> console windows. There isn't a 'universal' clip board. Gpm has its
> clip board and X11 has its *separate* clip board (actually, each X
> server has its own independent clip board, so it you run multiple X
> servers you can copy and paste from one to another).

oops! you're right Robert, I read the OP's somewhat confused post too
fast and thought he actually meant console window when he said console
window, but you're most probably correct, he just wants X11/GUI cut-n-paste.
OP: gpm is probably not what you're looking for :-) .

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Jerry Geis wrote:
> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
> example in thunderbird)
> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>
> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
> Thanks
> Jerry

Try using Gedit as an intermediary for your copy-paste action. Copy in
thunderbird, past in gedit, select and copy in gedit, paste in your
application.

To insert/paste data from clipboard into a console/terminal, use
<Shift>+<Ins>.

Ljubomir

Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> What is the package that allows copy and paste between windows?
>> I think I need to yum reinstall it.
>> after the 5.6 update I get the copy button when I right click - (for
>> example in thunderbird)
>> put when I then goto a console window and try to right click and paste
>> the paste is grey-ed or ghosted.
>>
>> Is there a package that controls the clip board or something?
>> Thanks
>> Jerry
>>

> Sorry if wasnt explicit. Take an even simpler case
> I can highlight some text in firefox and right click and copy,
> I then cannot paste that text into an email with thunderbird.
> I get the menu item actually to paste but when I select it nothing
> populates.
> I am certain I have done this in the past.

ok, clear. Yes that *should* work.

> Lets leave the gnome-terminal out of the picture.
>
> So I was wondering the if there is a particular package I could try
> reinstalling.
> But it sounds like its "built" into X so I doubt it.
> Anything else to try before doing a fresh install?

does it work if you log in as another user?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Les Mikesell

On 4/11/2011 1:22 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> does it work if you log in as another user?
>
> So long as it is the same X Server. If you log into a different console
> and then do a 'startx -- :1' (or :2, :3, etc.), then no it won't work.
> If you just do a su or sudo su in a [gnome] terminal, then yes, it will
> work.

You should even be able to 'ssh -Y user@hostname program' from a
terminal window to start a GUI program remotely and have copy/paste work
as long as the windows on on the same display.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com