Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Riccardo Veraldi

Default KVM problem after update to 5.6

Hello, after updating to Cents 5.6 and so to kvm-83-224
my KVM virtual machines qemu qcow2 based images do not start anymore.
Looking at VM console the error message is that VM media is not bootable.
Going back to previous KVM version kvm-83-164 from Centos 5.5 they works
again.

What's wrong with qemu images ?
anyone has an idea on how to fix the problem ?

thanks

Rick

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Alain Péan

Le 11/04/2011 11:30, Riccardo Veraldi a écrit :
> Hello, after updating to Cents 5.6 and so to kvm-83-224
> my KVM virtual machines qemu qcow2 based images do not start anymore.
> Looking at VM console the error message is that VM media is not bootable.
> Going back to previous KVM version kvm-83-164 from Centos 5.5 they works
> again.
>
> What's wrong with qemu images ?
> anyone has an idea on how to fix the problem ?
>
> thanks
>
> Rick

Hi Ricardo,

There is a known bug related to qcow2 images considered as raw images in
latest kvm. I don't find the bug in red hat and fedora, but here is what
I found with Ubuntu.

Hope that helps

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Tom H

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109595.html

Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Riccardo Veraldi

On 4/11/11 11:45 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Riccardo Veraldi
> <Riccardo.Veraldi@cnaf.infn.it> wrote:
>> Hello, after updating to Cents 5.6 and so to kvm-83-224
>> my KVM virtual machines qemu qcow2 based images do not start anymore.
>> Looking at VM console the error message is that VM media is not bootable.
>>
>> What's wrong with qemu images ?
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109595.html
thank you very much I really solved the issue

thanks

Rick

Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 04/11/2011 04:45 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Riccardo Veraldi
> <Riccardo.Veraldi@cnaf.infn.it> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, after updating to Cents 5.6 and so to kvm-83-224
>> my KVM virtual machines qemu qcow2 based images do not start anymore.
>> Looking at VM console the error message is that VM media is not bootable.
>>
>> What's wrong with qemu images ?
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109595.html

This issue is now also in the release notes (in the Known Issues section):

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/