Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Robert Heller

Default Merging Install DVDs on a PXE server

> Hi all,
>
> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?

If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
(read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
and you are good to go.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 PM
John R Pierce

On 04/10/11 4:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
>> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
>> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
>> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?
> If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
> using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
> (read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
> image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> and you are good to go.

the .iso files on the nfs ? I thought you put all the files IN the iso

personally, when I do PXE, I use a http style install off a local copy
of the repository. Its been a little while since i set it up, but
IIRC, there's some mojo you put in the kickstart file on the tftproot to
tell it what install type you want (nfs vs http vs whatever)

Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Digimer

On 04/10/2011 07:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
>> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
>> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
>> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?
>
> If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
> using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
> (read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
> image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> and you are good to go.

I've done that (well, minus NFS). I can easily enough install without
the second DVD ISO, as the servers won't have openoffice anyway.

My question was more a point of curiosity. I supposed I could have said
"how can I merge the two ISOs into one" and gotten matching answers. So
then, the real question is; How can I recreate the package list that is
found in the ISO that anaconda uses to know what packages are available?

Cheers!

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Digimer

On 04/10/2011 07:10 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/10/11 4:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
>>> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
>>> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
>>> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?
>> If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
>> using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
>> (read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
>> image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
>> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
>> and you are good to go.
>>

> the .iso files on the nfs ? I thought you put all the files IN the iso
>
> personally, when I do PXE, I use a http style install off a local copy
> of the repository. Its been a little while since i set it up, but
> IIRC, there's some mojo you put in the kickstart file on the tftproot to
> tell it what install type you want (nfs vs http vs whatever)

Ya, I use it over http as well.

In kickstart; use:
url --url=http://192.168.1.254/c5/x86_64/img/

In the PXE config file, the matching entry would be something like:

LABEL c5_an-node01
MENU LABEL ^1) Install AN!Node01; Storage Node 01 - Cluster 2
KERNEL boot/c5/x86_64/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=boot/c5/x86_64/initrd.img
ks=http://192.168.1.254/c5/x86_64/ks/an-node01.ks ksdevice=eth1

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Christopher Buckley

That's what the OP is saying to do when he states you loopback mount the ISO's.

Christopher J. Buckley
Sent from my iPhone

Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Les Mikesell

On 4/10/11 6:10 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

>>> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
>>> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
>>> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
>>> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?
>> If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
>> using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
>> (read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
>> image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
>> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
>> and you are good to go.
>>

> the .iso files on the nfs ? I thought you put all the files IN the iso
>
> personally, when I do PXE, I use a http style install off a local copy
> of the repository. Its been a little while since i set it up, but
> IIRC, there's some mojo you put in the kickstart file on the tftproot to
> tell it what install type you want (nfs vs http vs whatever)

The installer has always known how to deal directly with all the CD iso images
under an nfs directory by itself without fiddling with any files. I'd expect it
to do the same with the dvds, but haven't tried that since there were two of them.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Robert Heller

> On 04/10/11 4:01 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Probably a simple question, but, I'd like to merge both install DVDs
> >> into one directory on my PXE server. Obviously I will need to copy all
> >> of the files, but do I need to cast a magical incantation to recreate
> >> .discinfo, .treeinfo, etc?
> > If all you want to do is create a PXE server that can be used to install
> > using NFS, you just need the DVD (or CD) .iso files in some NFS exported
> > (read-only!) directory. Loopback mount the first DVD/CD and copy the
> > image froms from images/pxeboot to /tftpboot and put entries in
> > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default, and the right 'magic' in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> > and you are good to go.
> >

> the .iso files on the nfs ? I thought you put all the files IN the iso

Just the ISO files themselves in an NFS exported directory, nothing
more. Anaconda knows all about mount ... -o loop ... and does what it
needs to do. No additional fussing about (no need to install httpd or
ftpd, etc.). You just need to install tftpd and dhcpd and there you
are.

*Actually* I have also done things like 'install' the pxe boot files in
the /boot directory of the target machine and boot it with lilo (grub
would also work, but I have always used lilo). This is how I have done
clean install upgrades (major version updates -- V3.x => 4.x, or 4.x to
5.x, etc.), with either the ISOs on a separate partition that I was not
going to reformat) (eg /home) or on another machine via NFS.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

why don't you simply rsync down what you need? Installing of a mounted iso
via pxe is probably the less preferred method. rsync also gives you the
option of excluding stuff you don't need.

Kai