FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Stephen Harris
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

I've taken over a CentOS machine. The previous SA had a habit of using
the --nodeps flag to rpm to remove packages (he was trying to build a
small server and removed packages he felt weren't needed). I have a
horrible feeling that this has resulted in some required dependencies
no longer being met. The server kinda-works, but it may break in
unexpected ways; I don't like being surprised!

Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd hoped
to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.

Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks,

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

Stephen Harris wrote:
> I've taken over a CentOS machine. The previous SA had a habit of using
> the --nodeps flag to rpm to remove packages (he was trying to build a
> small server and removed packages he felt weren't needed). I have a
> horrible feeling that this has resulted in some required dependencies
> no longer being met. The server kinda-works, but it may break in
> unexpected ways; I don't like being surprised!
>
> Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd hoped
> to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
> but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.
>
> Any guidance appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
Try something like this:

yum reinstall $(yum list installed | awk '{print $1}')

It should force reinstall and ask for dependencies in the process, but I
do not have any broken system to try if it works.

Ljubomir
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Stephen Harris
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:33:56AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd hoped
> > to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
> > but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.

> Try something like this:
>
> yum reinstall $(yum list installed | awk '{print $1}')

Hmm, interesting idea. Not too efficient, and could possibly break
config files if the rpm isn't well formed. But, hmm... interesting.

This led me to "yum deplist"... which sounds like it might also be
usable. Not quite clean-cut but a definite possibility!

Thanks.

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Yves Bellefeuille
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

On Sunday 10 April 2011 17:51, Stephen Harris wrote:

> I've taken over a CentOS machine. The previous SA had a habit of
> using the --nodeps flag to rpm to remove packages (he was trying to
> build a small server and removed packages he felt weren't needed). I
> have a horrible feeling that this has resulted in some required
> dependencies no longer being met. The server kinda-works, but it may
> break in unexpected ways; I don't like being surprised!
>
> Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd
> hoped to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed
> packages, but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package
> names.

Does "package-cleanup --problems" do what you want? It's in the
yum-utils package.

--problems: List dependency problems in the local RPM database.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se
ili konscias pri sia eraro." -- Heroldo Komunikas, n-ro 473.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 AM
"S.Tindall"
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 21:00 -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:33:56AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> > > Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd hoped
> > > to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
> > > but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.
>
> > Try something like this:
> >
> > yum reinstall $(yum list installed | awk '{print $1}')
>
> Hmm, interesting idea. Not too efficient, and could possibly break
> config files if the rpm isn't well formed. But, hmm... interesting.
>
> This led me to "yum deplist"... which sounds like it might also be
> usable. Not quite clean-cut but a definite possibility!
>

Install yum-utils and then try:

# package-cleanup --problems


>From the package-cleanup manpage:

--problems

List dependency problems in the local RPM database.

Steve


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Stephen Harris
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 09:46:48PM -0400, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Does "package-cleanup --problems" do what you want? It's in the

Looks good!

% package-cleanup --problems
Setting up yum
Reading local RPM database
Processing all local requires
Missing dependencies:
Package perl-IO-Zlib requires perl(Compress::Zlib)
Package perl-libwww-perl requires perl(Compress::Zlib)
Package perl-Archive-Tar requires perl(Compress::Zlib)

Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

S.Tindall wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 21:00 -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:33:56AM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>>> Is there an easy way to determine what rpms might be missing? I'd hoped
>>>> to use something like "rpm -qR" against each of the installed packages,
>>>> but that output isn't simply converted to rpm package names.
>>> Try something like this:
>>>
>>> yum reinstall $(yum list installed | awk '{print $1}')
>> Hmm, interesting idea. Not too efficient, and could possibly break
>> config files if the rpm isn't well formed. But, hmm... interesting.
>>
>> This led me to "yum deplist"... which sounds like it might also be
>> usable. Not quite clean-cut but a definite possibility!
>>
>
> Install yum-utils and then try:
>
> # package-cleanup --problems
>
>
>>From the package-cleanup manpage:
>
> --problems
>
> List dependency problems in the local RPM database.
>
> Steve
>

I will have to remember this. I never ever had any problems with
yum/packages so I forgot all about yum-utils.

Thanks,
Ljubomir
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default How to verify all dependencies are being met

Try a yum update and look at the output. Now, with a new release this is a
good option, anyway.

Kai


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org