Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Akemi Yagi

Default skype?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Well, at the urging of a friend who wants to talk face-to-face, I tried to
> install skype to my system at home (current CentOS 5.5). Got the fedora
> rpm; yum installed a library, then localinstalled skype, which is the
> current 2.1 beta.
>
> ldd shows an entry to linux-gate, which I don't have installed (or at
> least rpm tells me I don't). I try to run skype, and it complains about
> the version of glibc, even though I do have libstdc++.so.6.
>
> So, does anyone have any suggestions on a) how to get 2.1 beta working, or
> b) where I can find the *non* beta previous version...?

Try the static version. Here's the CentOS wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype

Akemi

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> ldd shows an entry to linux-gate, which I don't have installed (or
> at least rpm tells me I don't).

linux-gate is a virtual library that lives in memory and handles the
sysenter and sysexit instructions. It doesn't actually exist in the
filesystem.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Garry Dale

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
<snip>
> Try the static version. Here's the CentOS wiki:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype

fwiw, the above mentioned wiki page helped me quickly get
skype_static-2.1.0.81 up on CentOS 5.5 a few months ago, just in time
for the holidays. Info on that page is good stuff. A belated thanks to
the community for creating and maintaing that info. ;-)

Old 04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Tony van der Hoff

Has anyone here managed to get skype working reliably under Squeeze? I
have 2.2.0.35-1 for AMD64, but I'm encountering many problems;
intermittent sound, no video, system crashes.

Google doesn't provide much enlightenment, has anyone got any tips, please?

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Aričge, France |

Archive: 4F819EC1.4040509@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F819EC1.4040509@vanderhoff.org

Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:20:49 +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Has anyone here managed to get skype working reliably under Squeeze? I
> have 2.2.0.35-1 for AMD64, but I'm encountering many problems;
> intermittent sound, no video, system crashes.

There is no native 64-bits Skype packages for Linux and 2.2.0.35 is
"beta" tagged which seems to be consitent with your problems.

> Google doesn't provide much enlightenment, has anyone got any tips,
> please?

I would start by their Support page to run the usual video/sound tests:

https://support.skype.com/en/

For the crashes, you can the usual: launching Spyke from command line to
get some useful trace.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 09/04/12 00:20, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Has anyone here managed to get skype working reliably under Squeeze? I
> have 2.2.0.35-1 for AMD64, but I'm encountering many problems;
> intermittent sound, no video, system crashes.
>
> Google doesn't provide much enlightenment, has anyone got any tips, please?

Sure - works fine for me, video meetings, shared desktops, call
recording, and usually have two client (different accounts) open at the
same time. I use PulseAudio and Skype 2.2.0.25-1 Beta (didn't know there
was a later version). Port 53305 is opened on the firewall but it
shouldn't make much difference if you've closed it.
SkypCallRecord, Skyessential, Skype4Py and Amarok extensions installed.
Also the python-skype is installed.

Never had a crash. I know a lot of people with the same experience -
though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.

Anything in dmesg or syslog?
In Skype Options, Advanced - tick "Display technical information" and
then put the mouse over the callers avatar when in a call for jitter and
other info.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
"Russell L. Harris"

* Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:
> though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
> voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.

I also need such a package.

It appears to me that Ekiga (formerly gnomemeeting) is a good
solution. Am I mistaken?

Ideally, it should be sufficiently similar and simple, so that I could
persuade the other guy (who almost invariably is running Skype on a
Window$ box) to install Ekiga.

RLH

Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Brian

On Sun 08 Apr 2012 at 17:53:02 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:
> > though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
> > voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.
>
> I also need such a package.

To be an exact replacement which will work on the Skype network in the
same way as the Skype client? Can't be done.

> It appears to me that Ekiga (formerly gnomemeeting) is a good
> solution. Am I mistaken?

As a VoIP client (SIP etc), probably. But how is it for interworking
with the Skype network?

> Ideally, it should be sufficiently similar and simple, so that I could
> persuade the other guy (who almost invariably is running Skype on a
> Window$ box) to install Ekiga.

She's happy with what she has got. Why feel impelled to alter that?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 09/04/12 04:40, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 08 Apr 2012 at 17:53:02 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
>
>> * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:
>>> though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
>>> voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.

<snipped>

> As a VoIP client (SIP etc), probably. But how is it for interworking
> with the Skype network?

SIP will currently work with the Skype network - if being able to
communicate is your only requirement.

<snipped>

Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 09/04/12 03:53, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:
>> though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
>> voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.
>
> I also need such a package.
>
> It appears to me that Ekiga (formerly gnomemeeting) is a good
> solution. Am I mistaken?

No, you're not mistaken, just probably seeking a solution to a different
problem (lucky you!).

Thanks for reminding me to take another look at Ekiga.

Blink, Jitis, Linphone, Mumble, QuteCom, and Yate are other interesting
programs.
None of which completely cover the range of platforms I require, though
I have a soft spot for Linphone.

> Ideally, it should be sufficiently similar and simple, so that I could
> persuade the other guy (who almost invariably is running Skype on a
> Window$ box) to install Ekiga.

That's part of my specifications - though I really want something that
allows me to communicate with everyone, from everything I use
telecommunications with.

An open protocol is important - but so is commercial adoption in order
to have a competitive market for connections to mobile and landlines.

A primary requirement is that whatever the solution - it be available in
Debian, availability and support on other distros and platforms is a bonus.

> RLH

I'm after a solution to a problem that Ekiga only partially solves.
It does have some features I like - but it doesn't fully replace the
features of Skype. And I do want to replace Skype - in the unlikely
event that Skype open sourced[*1] their codecs I'd still want to move
the bulk of my telecommunications to a more competitive protocol.

My ideal solution is something a non-technical person can easily
configure. Meaning it must be capable of being installed by a chicken -
put bread on Enter key - keep tapping Enter.

It doesn't work well on low-speed, low latency connections. That's a
problem that may not be solvable.

I may have to compromise and use multiple VOIP solutions, as part of my
needs is to be able to communicate with non-technical people who have no
interest in learning why commercially popular applications are not the
only, or the best, solutions.

[*1] yes, I know it's been reversed, but that's not the solution I'm
looking for. Additionally there's still only one player in the price
setting market for landlines and mobile connections. And Skype is *not*
cheap compared to other players.