Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Doug

Default skype?

On 04/11/2012 12:15 AM, daniel jimenez wrote:
It is shameful that, so many years after the digital revolution,
proprietary formats such as those championed by microsoft are
*mandated* by the industry, educational institutions and (in mexico at
least) government departments. In fact, I recently had problems with
my yearly tax declaration due to it only supporting and running on
some version of Internet Explorer.

Hopefully, we can all make that change.

In the case of skype, I understand that their contributions to VoIP
have been pioneering and extremely successful as a tool for
individuals and the enterprise community alike. However, every company
that doesn't support standardization is extremely short sighted and
detrimental to the healthy growth of the field they represent.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack..

Daniel

/snip/

Microsoft and Skype are sure to tell you that _their_ formats _are_ the
standard. And to a great extent, they're correct! (Microsoft would
have a better case
if they didn't keep changing it, so much so that their own word
processor can't even read what an earlier version of the same program
wrote!)

I don't know who standardized on the placement of the clutch and brake
pedals, but whoever it was, the rest of the industry was forced to
follow. Can
you imagine what a mess we would be in if they didn't? Similarly for the
basic gear-shift pattern. Only reverse moves, and, afaik, only to one
of two places.
And, I must say, that annoys me, since I once had a car with reverse
left and up, and now I have one with reverse right and down. Especially
since left and up
was pretty much standardized back in the 1930s. To make things worse,
both cars that I refer to here were made by GM in the United States.

To get back to the point, I would have no problem with .doc if it would
only stay put! And who is to say that the Skype format does not deserve
to be the
standard? It's probably as good as any, so long as everyone will agree
to use it.

I have to say that a lot of the complaints from people in our Linux
community seem to be of the NIH variety: Not Invented Here!

Just my 2. --doug

Archive: 4F851632.9050300@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F851632.9050300@optonline.net

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Alan Chandler