Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default CentOS Donations - Is Money a Curse?

On Wed, February 16, 2011 17:08, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 16.02.2011 um 22:29 schrieb Larry Vaden:
>

>> Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is
>> truly amazing.
>

> Well, with money come a lot of strings attached.
>
> Most likely, one would either have to incorporate a business or
> found some not-for-profit entity if large amounts of money
> flowed in.

This is an absolute requirement for us to contribute funds to CentOS.

I put myself in an extremely embarrassing position by donating
company funds to CentOS without previously determining that a
legally independent entity was receiving them. When the controversy
over the CentOS financial arrangements became public and it was
revealed that the monies were flowing to an individual I found
myself in an extremely awkward situation. I am not going to repeat
that experience.

We use CentOS extensively and I am very happy to contribute my own
time and resources where I can. But, our future financial support
for CentOS is contingent upon dealing with an independent legal
entity that conforms with national and international tax laws and
corporate reporting requirements.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Sean

James B. Byrne wrote:
> But, our future financial support
> for CentOS is contingent upon dealing with an independent legal
> entity that conforms with national and international tax laws and
> corporate reporting requirements.

A new model (appropriate to OSS) is being worked on here:
http://flattr.com/
But, apart from being slightly experimental, may not be appropriate
either to your particular dilemma?
Sean

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
cornel panceac

2011/2/20 Sean <soso@orcon.net.nz>

James B. Byrne wrote:

> *But, our future financial support

> for CentOS is contingent upon dealing with an independent legal

> entity that conforms with national and international tax laws and

> corporate reporting requirements.

A new model (appropriate to OSS) is being worked on *here:

http://flattr.com/

But, apart from being slightly experimental, may not be appropriate

either to your particular dilemma?
in (my) ideal world. money are not necessary. you give me centos, i give you electricity, or hardware, or an office, etc . since we still live in money-lenders ruled world, is there a way to contribute (money) to centos but not directly? like, instead giving money, pay the bill(s).

Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Sean

cornel panceac wrote:
> in (my) ideal world. money are not necessary. you give me centos, i
> give you electricity, or hardware, or an office, etc . since we still
> live in money-lenders ruled world, is there a way to contribute
> (money) to centos but not directly? like, instead giving money, pay
> the bill(s).
Core issue, I think, is the rights, privileges etc (the 'ownership'
attributes -- whether explicit or implicit) which attach to making
payments under most models. If/when my own little earner project fails
to earn, it disappears, and little harm is done.
Sean