Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Larry Vaden

Default some think there are no unemployed OSS folks

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> * * * *issue? *I don't get it. *You seem to think that money is the end
> * * * *all be all for OSS. *I would suggest that's a mindset you may
> * * * *wish to change as money doesn't drive OSS.

Are you saying there are no OSS folks who have lost their houses,
their cars and their Internet connections and therefore have
difficulty continuing contributing to OSS projects?

I hope that is the truth, but I sincerely doubt that it is.

Not substantially different in spirit than OSS is our Community
Networking Grant program which supports ~ 300 not-for-profits.

When we began in 1995, we offered free Internet connections to each
school, library and hospital in our service area of 43 counties in
north Texas.

The recent downslide in the economy has made that immeasurably more
difficult to continue, but we are continuing with it for another year.

kind regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net