Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
"John R. Dennison"

Default ACHTUNG: wrt CentALT repo

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 05:03:33PM -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:

> ACHTUNG: Note the repo is apparently without SRPMs so it becomes
> difficult to vet.

This is a show-stopper for many, including myself. Thanks for
pointing it out.

However...

77 lines of unnecessary untrimmed text removed. Is it too much
to ask you to be considerate to others and trim non-essential
text? I direct you to the mailing list guidelines for these
lists:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16

Thank you for your future thoughtfulness.

John
--
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of
those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too

-- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945), 32nd President of the United States,
second inaugural address, 20 January 1937

Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Larry Vaden

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

> * * * *However...
>
> * * * *77 lines of unnecessary untrimmed text removed. *Is it too much
> * * * *to ask you to be considerate to others and trim non-essential
> * * * *text? *I direct you to the mailing list guidelines for these
> * * * *lists:
>
> * * * *http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16
>
> * * * *Thank you for your future thoughtfulness.
>

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John
> --
> The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of
> those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too
> little.
>
> -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945), 32nd President of the United States,
> * second inaugural address, 20 January 1937

It would seem you have posted about 90 times, and the very first and
the very last (and presumably the ones in between) all contain a sig
longer than the guidelines, so, as a wanna be List Mom, you don't hold
much sway with me (read: there is already enough hypocrisy in the
world).

12 * ~ 90 > 77 by more than an order of magnitude.

The 77 serve to indicate how many packages one might search for and
_possibly_ wind up in an unsafe place. I hope that is not the case
and will continue my efforts (along with one of my Internet2 friends)
to vet the repo.

kind regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Larry Vaden

See <http://centos.alt.ru/?p=494&cpage=1#comment-2753>.

kind regards/ldv/vaden@texoma.net

Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Larry Vaden

Progress report on vetting CentALT repo:

<quote>
SRPMs now here http://centos.alt.ru/pub/repository/centos/5/SRPMS/
One of mirror CentALT here http://centos.tel.dn.ua/repository
Denis Frolov
2011-02-17, 12:09
</quote>

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/16/2011 05:03 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Larry Vaden <vaden@texoma.net> wrote:
>>
>> N.B. pkgs.org is showing that CentALT is at current code and Fedora is
>> using a release candidate!
>
> Per a discussion with an Internet2 professor this PM:
>
> ACHTUNG: Note the repo is apparently without SRPMs so it becomes
> difficult to vet.
>
> Further, no mirrors have been spotted, which is not to say there
> aren't any, but ...

Just for the record ... we (the CentOS Project) do not recommend this
site. They are using our name without permission.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Larry Vaden

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

> Just for the record ... we (the CentOS Project) do not recommend this
> site. *They are using our name without permission.

Attribution goes to EliteMoly:
CentALT repository not ready for mirroring, rpms not signed.
EPEL is must have to be enabled for CentALT packages to work.
CentALT packages relies on EPEL.
Repacking all dependencies is bad idea. This work is already done in EPEL.
2011-02-18, 10:41

Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/19/2011 01:13 AM, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> Just for the record ... we (the CentOS Project) do not recommend this
>> site. They are using our name without permission.
>
> Attribution goes to EliteMoly:
> CentALT repository not ready for mirroring, rpms not signed.
> EPEL is must have to be enabled for CentALT packages to work.
> CentALT packages relies on EPEL.
> Repacking all dependencies is bad idea. This work is already done in EPEL.
> 2011-02-18, 10:41

They are using our name without permission, we would rather you do not
post about them on this list as they are not playing nicely with others.

If we want to be a ElALT, that is one thing ... CentALT is another entirely.

Ubuntu is not DebianALT ... CentOS is not RHEL-ALT ... they should not
be using our name.