Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Hal Davison

Default foo2oak-wrapper

Well...Greetings

A client bought for me a HP Color LaserJet
1525nw printer.

Installed on the local network as
192.168.1.117

A Google search brings back a number of
conflicting options. Before I ball things
up to much, I thought it best to check in
for additional advice.

The CUPS installer is complaining that it
cannot locate the foo2oak-wrapper...and
that it should be installed before using
the printer.

Yum is like me, clueless.

--
Hal Davison
--Hal.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:03:18PM -0500, Hal Davison wrote:

> Well...Greetings
>
> A client bought for me a HP Color LaserJet
> 1525nw printer.
>
> Installed on the local network as
> 192.168.1.117
>
> A Google search brings back a number of
> conflicting options. Before I ball things
> up to much, I thought it best to check in
> for additional advice.
>
> The CUPS installer is complaining that it
> cannot locate the foo2oak-wrapper...and
> that it should be installed before using
> the printer.

I've not done this with a printer on CentOS, but have on
FreeBSD. Do you really need CUPs for a printer that is
hung off the network? (eg. not plugged directly in to the PC)??

////jerry

Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:03:18PM -0500, Hal Davison wrote:
>>
>> A client bought for me a HP Color LaserJet 1525nw printer.
>>
>> Installed on the local network as 192.168.1.117
<snip>
>> The CUPS installer is complaining that it cannot locate the
foo2oak-wrapper...and
>> that it should be installed before using the printer.
>
> I've not done this with a printer on CentOS, but have on
> FreeBSD. Do you really need CUPs for a printer that is
> hung off the network? (eg. not plugged directly in to the PC)??

It might just not be in the std. distro. A couple-three years ago, I
bought a 1020 for myself, and had to find the driver and build it. Since
then, I've found them. You might either ask HP what driver to use, or see
if CUPS recommends anything.

Hmmm, I just brought up CUPS, and started walking through installing such
a printer. I see there's a 1500 driver. Should I assume you did all this,
and it can't find the .ppd? If that's the case, I'd question whether CUPS
was properly installed.

mark

Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Hal Davison

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:03:18PM -0500, Hal Davison wrote:
>>> A client bought for me a HP Color LaserJet 1525nw printer.
>>>
>>> Installed on the local network as 192.168.1.117
> <snip>
>>> The CUPS installer is complaining that it cannot locate the
> foo2oak-wrapper...and
>>> that it should be installed before using the printer.
>> I've not done this with a printer on CentOS, but have on
>> FreeBSD. Do you really need CUPs for a printer that is
>> hung off the network? (eg. not plugged directly in to the PC)??
> It might just not be in the std. distro. A couple-three years ago, I
> bought a 1020 for myself, and had to find the driver and build it. Since
> then, I've found them. You might either ask HP what driver to use, or see
> if CUPS recommends anything.
>
> Hmmm, I just brought up CUPS, and started walking through installing such
> a printer. I see there's a 1500 driver. Should I assume you did all this,
> and it can't find the .ppd? If that's the case, I'd question whether CUPS
> was properly installed.
>
> mark

Yes. Did the 1500. After install is when
the wrapper cane up.

--Hal.

--
Hal Davison

Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Scott Silva

on 2/16/2011 11:33 PM Hal Davison spake the following:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html HP's open source driver site...