Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Tom H

Default Software RAID Level 1, smartd and changing dev numbers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

>> However, we're not set up for UUIDs, the fstab
>>just shows /dev/md0, etc.
>
> I mentioned it because I recently installed and set up servers with ubuntu
> 10.04 and fedora 14, while I was waiting for C6. Using the UUID is the
> default now.

In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
fstab stanzas.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Scott Robbins

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> >>
> In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
> devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
> fstab stanzas.

Possibly worth mentioning that it does sometimes break--at least in
Fedora, I can think of a few times it's happened to me, and a few more
times where it's happened on their forums, where an update would then
fail to boot, saying, unable to locate root (or something similar) which
could be fixed by changing the UUID to /dev/sdwhatever

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Isn't that what they called The Slayer?
Willow: Buffy, ohh scary.
Xander: Someone has to talk to her people. That name is striking
fear in nobody's hearts.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Scott Robbins

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22:44PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> > >>
> > In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
> > devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
> > fstab stanzas.
>
> Possibly worth mentioning that it does sometimes break--at least in
> Fedora, I can think of a few times it's happened to me, and a few more
> times where it's happened on their forums, where an update would then
> fail to boot, saying, unable to locate root (or something similar) which
> could be fixed by changing the UUID to /dev/sdwhatever

To reply to my own email, I should add that I don't want to spread FUD.
Most of the time UUID works as it should, and can be handy for things
such as installing from a USB, where the system thinks the USB is
/dev/sda. I just wanted to point out that on VERY RARE occasions, it
has failed to work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: And they say that young people don't learn
anything in high school nowadays, but I've learned to be afraid.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> In Ubuntu and Fedora, UUID's the default replacement of "/dev/sdXY"
>> devices, but md and lvm devices are referred to in more "traditional"
>> fstab stanzas.
>
> Possibly worth mentioning that it does sometimes break--at least in
> Fedora, I can think of a few times it's happened to me, and a few more
> times where it's happened on their forums, where an update would then
> fail to boot, saying, unable to locate root (or something similar) which
> could be fixed by changing the UUID to /dev/sdwhatever

I've only seen two cases of UUIDs "breaking".

1. You put a second Linux install on the box, mkswap's run during the
installation process and the UUID of the swap partition's modified so
that the initial install cannot recognize its swap partition.

2. There's more than one filesystem signature in the MBR and mount's
therefore (understandably) confused.