Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Default CentOS 5 on a Thinkpad T60 laptop

Hello,

I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.

My main focus is therefore to have something robust, reliable and
above all well compatible with CentOS.
Hibernate / suspend feature are important to me, because that's the
main issue I have with CentOS on other laptops.

I have found the following information so far:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_CentOS_5_on_a_Thinkpad_T60

The processor is a T2300 (so 32 bits apparently):
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27233

I would be grateful if people having used CentOS on this model could
share their experience (good or bad).

Thanks in advance!

Mathieu

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
<snip>
> I would be grateful if people having used CentOS on this model could
> share their experience (good or bad).

Oddly enough, I asked on another techie mailing list I'm on just last week
or so, for someone I know considering a laptop, and a T60 was greatly
approved of.

mark

Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Always Learning

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:52 +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.

One thing you might, or happily might not, have difficulties with is the
wifi driver. Most drivers are available from various sources.

C5 is based on kernel 2.6.18. More wifi drivers were added to kernel
2.6.27, I think. C6 will be based on kernel 2.6.34, I believe.

If you have difficulties with wifi, you'll get help here.

Centos is a splendid choice for laptop reliability. I have it on a
netbook and on a laptop. Its so much better, for me certainly, than
Windoze.

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Robert Heller

> Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> >
> > I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
> > a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
> <snip>
> > I would be grateful if people having used CentOS on this model could
> > share their experience (good or bad).
>
> Oddly enough, I asked on another techie mailing list I'm on just last week
> or so, for someone I know considering a laptop, and a T60 was greatly
> approved of.

I have CentOS 5.5 (i386) running happily on an X31 Thinkpad. IBM
laptops are really good laptops.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
"Roger K. Wells"

On 02/16/2011 12:30 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>>> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
>>> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
>> <snip>
>>> I would be grateful if people having used CentOS on this model could
>>> share their experience (good or bad).
>> Oddly enough, I asked on another techie mailing list I'm on just last week
>> or so, for someone I know considering a laptop, and a T60 was greatly
>> approved of.
> I have CentOS 5.5 (i386) running happily on an X31 Thinkpad. IBM
> laptops are really good laptops.

I also have run Centos 5.5 on an X31 and moved to a X200. The T60 fits
in between
these in the Thinkpad evolution, IIRC. It was fine on both and
I had no trouble with wireless on either. The wireless concern was
mentioned in another
response on this thread.

good luck,
roger wells
>> mark

Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)
roger.k.wells@saic.com

Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
David Sommerseth

On 16/02/11 18:08, Always Learning wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:52 +0100, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>
>> I'm considering buying a second-hand Thinkpad T60 (with 2 GB RAM), as
>> a secondary laptop in order to run CentOS 5 on the field.
>
> One thing you might, or happily might not, have difficulties with is the
> wifi driver. Most drivers are available from various sources.
>
> C5 is based on kernel 2.6.18. More wifi drivers were added to kernel
> 2.6.27, I think. C6 will be based on kernel 2.6.34, I believe.

As long as the CentOS kernel is based on the RHEL kernel works, a lot of
drivers from newer kernels will have been backported to the 2.6.18 based
kernel, which makes newer hardware work on RHEL kernels.

The RHEL 2.6.18 kernel only sounds old and expired due to its name. But
the content inside really isn't as old as it sounds like - even though
there are a big part of original 2.6.18 code in it as well.

Check the release notes for more info ... Like for RHEL5.5
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.5_Release_Notes/ar01s04.html>

kind regards,

David Sommerseth

Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Robert Heller

> >> <snip>
> >> Oddly enough, I asked on another techie mailing list I'm on just last week
> >> or so, for someone I know considering a laptop, and a T60 was greatly
> >> approved of.
> > I have CentOS 5.5 (i386) running happily on an X31 Thinkpad. IBM
> > laptops are really good laptops.
> >
> I also have run Centos 5.5 on an X31 and moved to a X200. The T60 fits
> in between
> these in the Thinkpad evolution, IIRC. It was fine on both and
> I had no trouble with wireless on either. The wireless concern was
> mentioned in another
> response on this thread.

The wireless on the X31 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04). Intel wireless chips are *very well*
supported *out of the box* under CentOS. You do need to download and
install the proper firmware.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/16/2011 12:41 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

> The wireless on the X31 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
> 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04). Intel wireless chips are *very well*
> supported *out of the box* under CentOS. You do need to download and
> install the proper firmware.

Isn't being supported "out of the box" and having to download something
else a contradiction in terms? Not to mention a catch-22 when your
usual connection to download is over wireless...

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
"compdoc"

>>On 2/16/2011 12:41 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> >The wireless on the X31 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
> >3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04). Intel wireless chips are *very well*
> >supported *out of the box* under CentOS. You do need to download
> > and install the proper firmware.

>Isn't being supported "out of the box" and having to download
> something else a contradiction in terms?
> Les Mikesell

I don't think so. I take it "out of the box" means the drivers are in the
OS, but the card/hardware needs some updating.

>Not to mention a catch-22 when your
>usual connection to download is over wireless...

This is certainly true, but that's why ppl pay guys like us to do this for
them. Praise Jebus.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Robert Heller

> On 2/16/2011 12:41 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >
> > The wireless on the X31 is an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
> > 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04). Intel wireless chips are *very well*
> > supported *out of the box* under CentOS. You do need to download and
> > install the proper firmware.
>
> Isn't being supported "out of the box" and having to download something
> else a contradiction in terms? Not to mention a catch-22 when your
> usual connection to download is over wireless...

Downloading and installing the firmware was pretty close to painless,
when compared to dealing with *other* wireless cards on other laptops:
special kernel modules, special kernels, etc.