Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Craig White

Default Bacula

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 23:27 +0000, Johnny H wrote:
> Dear all,
> I get a message from root as follows;
>
> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
> "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: postgresql.c:227 Unable
> to connect to PostgreSQL server. Database=bacula User=bacula
> Possible causes: SQL server not running; password incorrect;
> max_connections exceeded.
> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
> Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
>
> Does anyone know how to check if the database for bacula exists and
> how to start it?
>
> I would like to know how to view tape archives?
>
> Thank you if anyone can help.
----
bacula will create the database if there is a user with password and
permissions suitable for the task. There is ample documentation at
http://www.bacula.org

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Johnny H

Thank you your advice.

Usefully I don't have password to # su - postgres
and I am assuming it is impossible to get this. Normal su (root) pass
does not work.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Les Mikesell

On 2/15/11 6:30 PM, Johnny H wrote:
> Thank you your advice.
>
> Usefully I don't have password to # su - postgres
> and I am assuming it is impossible to get this. Normal su (root) pass
> does not work.

If you are already root when you execute that command it should not ask for
another password.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Craig White

talk to the system & database administrator for the machine, assuming
they are interested in getting it backed up. I think by default, user
'postgres' doesn't need a password but then again, I wouldn't use that
user on active database. I would create a user for that purpose...it's
rather trivial.

Craig

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 00:30 +0000, Johnny H wrote:
> Thank you your advice.
>
> Usefully I don't have password to # su - postgres
> and I am assuming it is impossible to get this. Normal su (root) pass
> does not work.
>

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 23:27 +0000, Johnny H wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >> I get a message from root as follows;
> >>
> >> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
> >> "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
> >> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: postgresql.c:227 Unable
> >> to connect to PostgreSQL server. Database=bacula User=bacula
> >> Possible causes: SQL server not running; password incorrect;
> >> max_connections exceeded.
> >> 09-Feb 11:26 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
> >> Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how to check if the database for bacula exists and
> >> how to start it?
> >>
> >> I would like to know how to view tape archives?
> >>
> >> Thank you if anyone can help.
> > ----
> > bacula will create the database if there is a user with password and
> > permissions suitable for the task. There is ample documentation at
> > http://www.bacula.org
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 AM
John R Pierce

On 02/15/11 5:22 PM, Craig White wrote:
> talk to the system& database administrator for the machine, assuming
> they are interested in getting it backed up. I think by default, user
> 'postgres' doesn't need a password but then again, I wouldn't use that
> user on active database. I would create a user for that purpose...it's
> rather trivial.

indeed, my examples were purely for diagnostic purposes. the postgres
unix account should ONLY be used for database administration.

it typically has no password on a clean install, I showed the # prompt
to indicate those commands would be issued by root.

if you're doing an initial install of bacula (I was assuming this was a
previously working system that somehow stopped working), then something
like..

# su - postgres
postgres$ psql
postgres=> create user bacula with password 'xxxyyy';
CREATE USER
postgres=> create database bacula with owner bacula;
CREATE DATABASE;
postgres=> q

postgres$ exit

would create a bacula SQL user and a empty bacula database owned by this
user, which you could use for bacula.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Johnny H

Thank you all for your sound advice.
Just to fill you in on why I am such a spoon at sys admin, this system
cost 50K+ and there is no sys admin and it comes with really poor
service support.
So I am learning on the job.

I now have a list of databases and there is not one called Bacula. I
will go away and mull/read and make a plan.

Again, thanks a lot, the simplest of tasks for your guys is the
unknown for me, so your help appreciated.

Kind regards,

John.