Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Mike VanHorn

Default Insert the second CD of an install

Using CentOS 5.5 x86_64.

I am trying to install software that comes on two discs. I can start the
install just fine, but when it comes to taking out the first disc and
putting in the second, the system won't let me eject it.

I remember reading something on the internet once about something needing to
be enabled to allow this to work, but I can't find it now. Does anybody have
a clue as to what I might be looking for?

(Yes, the work around is to just mount both ISOs and not use real discs at
all, but as administrator I understand that process and my users won't.
However, they are familiar with the process of inserting disks.)

Thanks!

---
Mike VanHorn
Senior Computer Systems Administrator
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Wright State University
265 Russ Engineering Center
937-775-5157
michael.vanhorn@wright.edu
RSS: http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~mvanhorn/MikeVanHorn'sNewsFeed.xml
http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~mvanhorn/

Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/15/11 1:03 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
> Using CentOS 5.5 x86_64.
>
> I am trying to install software that comes on two discs. I can start the
> install just fine, but when it comes to taking out the first disc and
> putting in the second, the system won't let me eject it.

you typically have to umount the volume before you can eject the disk.
and of course to umount it, noone can have any open files on it.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Mike VanHorn

On 2/15/11 4:09 PM, "John R Pierce" <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 02/15/11 1:03 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
>> Using CentOS 5.5 x86_64.
>>
>> I am trying to install software that comes on two discs. I can start the
>> install just fine, but when it comes to taking out the first disc and
>> putting in the second, the system won't let me eject it.
>
> you typically have to umount the volume before you can eject the disk.
> and of course to umount it, noone can have any open files on it.

Exactly. That's why I can't remember what it was I read about, because I've
never known anything to work any way other than the way you've described it
above.

---

Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/15/11 1:18 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
> On 2/15/11 4:09 PM, "John R Pierce"<pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/15/11 1:03 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:
>>> Using CentOS 5.5 x86_64.
>>>
>>> I am trying to install software that comes on two discs. I can start the
>>> install just fine, but when it comes to taking out the first disc and
>>> putting in the second, the system won't let me eject it.
>> you typically have to umount the volume before you can eject the disk.
>> and of course to umount it, noone can have any open files on it.
> Exactly. That's why I can't remember what it was I read about, because I've
> never known anything to work any way other than the way you've described it
> above.

note that if you cd'd to the CD/DVD directory before running whatever
installation script, you probably have a file handle open on the disk
right there that will prevent you from opening it.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 02/15/11 1:18 PM, Mike VanHorn wrote:

>>> you typically have to umount the volume before you can eject the disk.
>>> and of course to umount it, noone can have any open files on it.
<snip>
Most software installations I've done stopped when it needed the second
disk, umounted and ejected the CD, and asked for the next one.

Alternatively, you could cp or rsync both CDs to a directory like
/opt/src, or /tmp/CD, and install from there.

mark