-   -   Creating floppy image without root permissions? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/489846-creating-floppy-image-without-root-permissions.html)

Kwan Lowe 02-15-2011 07:57 PM

Creating floppy image without root permissions?

Hello All:

I've recently had to provision some RHEL and CentOS VMWare
instances. There was no network connectivity so I had to use a
kickstart floppy and DVD iso rather than installing from our
repository. To create the floppy I used the following:

As root:
dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy.flp bs=1k count=360
mkfs.vfat floppy.flp
mount -o loop floppy.flp /mnt/floppy
cp base_kickstart.ks /mnt/floppy/ks.cfg
umount /mnt/floppy

It works, but now I need to automate the process and have to do with
without root access. Is there a way to create a floppy iso with a
single file without root access? I looked at fuseiso, but it appears
that it still requires some root permissions.

James Pearson 02-15-2011 09:37 PM

Kwan Lowe wrote:

> As root:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy.flp bs=1k count=360
> mkfs.vfat floppy.flp
> mount -o loop floppy.flp /mnt/floppy
> cp base_kickstart.ks /mnt/floppy/ks.cfg
> umount /mnt/floppy
>

> It works, but now I need to automate the process and have to do with
> without root access. Is there a way to create a floppy iso with a
> single file without root access? I looked at fuseiso, but it appears
> that it still requires some root permissions.

Have a look at mtools (part of CentOS) - you can do something similar as
above as a non-root user:

mformat -C -i floppy.flp -f 360 ::
mcopy -i floppy.flp base_kickstart.ks ::ks.cfg

James Pearson

Kwan Lowe 02-16-2011 01:50 PM

Creating floppy image without root permissions?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM, James Pearson
<james-p@moving-picture.com> wrote:
> Have a look at mtools (part of CentOS) - you can do something similar as
> above as a non-root user:
>
> *mformat -C -i floppy.flp -f 360 ::
> *mcopy -i floppy.flp base_kickstart.ks ::ks.cfg

Well, hey now! That works nicely. Thank you!