-   -   Any update on 5.6 / 6? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/489366-any-update-5-6-6-a.html)

robert mena 02-14-2011 08:00 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Hi,
Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on either versions regarding the current status.
So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)

"John R. Dennison" 02-14-2011 08:05 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 05:00:43PM -0400, robert mena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
> either versions regarding the current status.
>
> So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)

Your request just moved it back by 15% and 2 weeks, not to
mention all the innocent kittens that were killed.

John

--
<sxem> trying to play sturgeon while it's under attack is apparently not fun.

"Morten P.D. Stevens" 02-14-2011 08:50 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

2011/2/14 robert mena <robert.mena@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
> either versions regarding the current status.
> So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)

I wonder for a long time why there is no detailed information about the release status.

For example:

1) Upstream 5.6 release
2) rebuilding packages (2-3 days)
3) CentOS patches (1-7 days)
4) QA (2-3 weeks)
5) distribution on the mirrors (3-4 days)
6) CentOS 5.6 Release

A small roadmap would certainly help many users.

Best regards,

Morten

robert mena 02-14-2011 09:17 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Heretic! *You've caused a turbulence on the force. *The Gods of Kobol won't answer your requests anymore!!

Scott Silva 02-14-2011 09:24 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

on 2/14/2011 1:50 PM Morten P.D. Stevens spake the following:
> 2011/2/14 robert mena <robert.mena@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
>> either versions regarding the current status.
>> So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)
>
> I wonder for a long time why there is no detailed information about the release status.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) Upstream 5.6 release
> 2) rebuilding packages (2-3 days)
> 3) CentOS patches (1-7 days)
> 4) QA (2-3 weeks)
> 5) distribution on the mirrors (3-4 days)
> 6) CentOS 5.6 Release
>
> A small roadmap would certainly help many users.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Morten
I suppose the CentOS devs have other minor duties like feeding families,
taking children to ball games and dance recitals, helping with homework,
etc... The dev staff is not large, and any time spent answering "is it done
yet" queries will slow them down further.

I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this totally free product
owes me anything... As a matter of fact, we owe the project...

lostson 02-14-2011 09:27 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 18:17 -0400, robert mena wrote:
> Heretic! You've caused a turbulence on the force. The Gods of Kobol
> won't answer your requests anymore!!

stop top posting your the one causing the disturbance

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Morten P.D. Stevens
> <mstevens@imt-systems.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/14 robert mena <robert.mena@gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> > Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any
> updated info on
> > either versions regarding the current status.
> > So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)
>

> I wonder for a long time why there is no detailed information
> about the release status.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) Upstream 5.6 release
> 2) rebuilding packages (2-3 days)
> 3) CentOS patches (1-7 days)
> 4) QA (2-3 weeks)
> 5) distribution on the mirrors (3-4 days)
> 6) CentOS 5.6 Release
>
> A small roadmap would certainly help many users.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Morten

the last tweet which was over a week ago was

hoping to seed 5.6 this weekend

it is now Monday and it is not seeding when I asked in #centos-devel I
was told Q&A hadn't started on it yet. So it maybe be a week or so yet.

LostSon

CentOS - It's Not Just For Servers Ya Know...

Mark 02-14-2011 09:29 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 2/14/2011 1:50 PM Morten P.D. Stevens spake the following:
>> 2011/2/14 robert mena <robert.mena@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
>>> either versions regarding the current status.
>>> So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)
>>
>> I wonder for a long time why there is no detailed information about the release status.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> 1) Upstream 5.6 release
>> 2) rebuilding packages (2-3 days)
>> 3) CentOS patches (1-7 days)
>> 4) QA (2-3 weeks)
>> 5) distribution on the mirrors (3-4 days)
>> 6) CentOS 5.6 Release
>>
>> A small roadmap would certainly help many users.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Morten
> I suppose the CentOS devs have other minor duties like feeding families,
> taking children to ball games and dance recitals, helping with homework,
> etc... The dev staff is not large, and any time spent answering "is it done
> yet" queries will slow them down further.
>
> I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this totally free product
> owes me anything... As a matter of fact, we owe the project...

IIRC, the roadmap is something like this:

1) Upsteam releases a new version.
2) Some time goes by.
3) CentOS announces the newest release.
4) Release is available.

Time frame? However long it takes.

:-)

Karanbir Singh 02-14-2011 10:08 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On 02/14/2011 09:00 PM, robert mena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
> either versions regarding the current status.

I just finished pushing through the 5.6 distro tree's into the distro
builders ( so isos get built etc and moved to qa ). Was hoping to have
this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
large scale hdd failures ) meant that things at the $dayjob got a bit
hectic and this slipped a few days.

- KB

Karanbir Singh 02-14-2011 10:11 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On 02/14/2011 11:08 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
>> either versions regarding the current status.
>
> I just finished pushing through the 5.6 distro tree's into the distro

where 'just' ~ 12 mnutes back..

- KB

Always Learning 02-14-2011 10:38 PM

Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 14:24 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:

> I suppose the CentOS devs have other minor duties like feeding families,
> taking children to ball games and dance recitals, helping with homework,
> etc...

Don't forget all the jobs that need doing in and around the house AND
finding time to be a loving and attentive spouse AND talking to and
seeing friends etc. AND getting at least 8 hours sleep a day etc.

Perhaps they even have a 'real' daytime job too .....

> The dev staff is not large, and any time spent answering "is it done
> yet" queries will slow them down further.
>
> I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this totally free product
> owes me anything... As a matter of fact, we owe the project...

Amen.

--

With best regards,

Paul.