Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Lucian

Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 06:01 AM, Lucian wrote:
>> Ok, shouldn't there be at least 1 more person that can do and access
>> whatever you can?
>
> yes, there is and they can.

Happy to hear that! The next question comes automatically: why don't
they do it since you're so busy at the $dayjob?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/15/2011 06:33 AM, Lucian wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
>> On 02/15/2011 06:01 AM, Lucian wrote:
>>> Ok, shouldn't there be at least 1 more person that can do and access
>>> whatever you can?
>>
>> yes, there is and they can.
>
> Happy to hear that! The next question comes automatically: why don't
> they do it since you're so busy at the $dayjob?

Because they also have $dayjobs too ... Oracle (with billions of dollars
and unlimited machines and personnel) just released their el6 on Friday.

Is there some reason you can't buy RHEL6?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Lucian

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 06:33 AM, Lucian wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, there is and they can.
>>
>> Happy to hear that! The next question comes automatically: why don't
>> they do it since you're so busy at the $dayjob?

That was the expected answer.

> Because they also have $dayjobs too ... Oracle (with billions of dollars
> and unlimited machines and personnel) just released their el6 on Friday.

Fair enough.

> Is there some reason you can't buy RHEL6?

Not really, but I like Centos, I use it massively, I think I was well
within my "rights" (for lack of a better word) to want to know more
about this side of the project. No need to send me looking for
alternatives.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Kwan Lowe

There used to be this farmer, Red, that sold the most delicious
fruit. They were very good fruits. Many people liked them and bought
them for their families. The farmer would make the fruit seeds
available, as was the custom in the land.

Another farmer, Fred, decided to take the seeds and start growing some
of his own fruit. It took weeks to grow the fruit. The only difference
was that he didn't put on the little Red sticker. Instead he put on
a Fred sticker. Many people used the Fred version. Fred gave away
his fruit.

Many people started showing up for the free Fred version. Still, Fred
continued to give away the fruit. In fact he turned down donations
because a part of him didn't want to get paid for doing something like
that. There were whole books Fred had read about altruism and the
death of altruism and how money corrupts. Those thoughts maybe did
not apply to Fred's garden, but Fred maybe realized that money wasn't
the chief motivation for laboring for weeks and then giving away the
fruit. After all, Fred was a great farmer, and if needed could very
well sell his farming expertise for boatloads of money.

People started showing up. Some didn't know about the work that Fred
had put into his fruit. Some wanted to know when the fruit would be
ready. Some went as far as asking why the fruit wasn't ready. Some
said, "Farmer Red grew his fruit months ago. Farmer Jed already has
grown his fruit. Why haven't you?" Some said, "I don't know much
about farming, but you should get people to help. Not me, since I
know nothing of farming, but get other people." Some said, "I don't
know much about farming. I want to help." Some said, "I've never
farmed this fruit before, but I can help."

Now Fred had read this book about how adding farmers to a field won't
necessarily make the fruit grow any faster. Maybe it's true, he
thought. Some of the experienced farmers had already been helping
anyway, so that was something.

I don't know how Fred continues to do his farming. But I appreciate
the free fruit. I appreciate the great effort that Fred has put into
the fruit, despite the chorus of voices asking why the fruit doesn't
arrive sooner. It's good fruit and worth waiting for.

(I apologize for the OT post that has nothing to do with CentOS).

Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
robert mena

That's a lovely story.
But if that applies to CentOS core team (i.e they do not want to receive money) why don't use the money to hire more staff to do some of their tasks, specially those that they haven't been able to do in the way they would like them to be done.

But it seems that I am barking at the wrong tree and find a way to pay RedHat for all CentOS machine that I have, since this is a 8 or 80 matter for some (i.e shut up and take whatever you get *X pay something that you can't afford).

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
John Hinton

On 2/15/2011 8:59 AM, robert mena wrote:
> That's a lovely story.
>
> But if that applies to CentOS core team (i.e they do not want to
> receive money) why don't use the money to hire more staff to do some
> of their tasks, specially those that they haven't been able to do in
> the way they would like them to be done.
>
> But it seems that I am barking at the wrong tree and find a way to pay
> RedHat for all CentOS machine that I have, since this is a 8 or 80
> matter for some (i.e shut up and take whatever you get X pay
> something that you can't afford).
I believe this was stated some time ago. Money equals 'Accounting' and a
LOT of added complexities. Hiring staff comes with even more of a time
sync (withholdings perhaps across multiple nations, insurances,
unemployment insurance... basically a whole plethora of addition
accounting... even freelancers require accounting) and suddenly a
'second job' instead of the situation as it exist now. I do believe they
are happy to receive nice servers, so if you wanted to start a
collection to buy them a really nice new server, I doubt that would go
to waste... or better yet ask what equipment needs exist.

However, if somebody thinks that a project like this should be a paid
project, the source is available for anyone to introduce a new flavor.
And, alternatively there are the RH subscriptions to answer immediate
needs... where you can sit around asking "When is RHEL (insert next
number here) going to be released?"

If we can all just chill a bit and not create issues on this list that
distract the folks putting it all together, then they will in theory get
it done faster!

John Hinton

Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
"R - elists"

the "we" that we speak of is "our" organization, *not* of or for CentOS and
it's assigns

we believe that CentOS could do more and that (humble opinion) the CentOS
team should be financially compensated fairly for their efforts on all of
our behalf...

- rh

Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
"R - elists"

Eero,

that is great, as long as you consider and actually donate to CentOS
regularly

statistically, most people that download or use CentOS, do not donate.

- rh

Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/15/2011 9:56 AM, R - elists wrote:
> the "we" that we speak of is "our" organization, *not* of or for CentOS and
> it's assigns
>
> we believe that CentOS could do more and that (humble opinion) the CentOS
> team should be financially compensated fairly for their efforts on all of
> our behalf...

How would they be different from Oracle if they did that as a business?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Eero Volotinen

2011/2/15 R - elists <lists07@abbacomm.net>:

> Eero,
>
> that is great, as long as you consider and actually donate to CentOS
> regularly
>
> statistically, most people that download or use CentOS, do not donate.

Donating is a bit hard, because there is NO DONATION page nowdays
anymore. So sad. why so?

--
Eero