Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Brian Mathis

Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:05 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 05:00:43PM -0400, robert mena wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
>> either versions regarding the current status.
>>
>> So, what is the current status of both versions? (like 60%)
>
> * * * *Your request just moved it back by 15% and 2 weeks, not to
> * * * *mention all the innocent kittens that were killed.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John

I wish people would take these requests as:

"Hey guys, I really love this project and I know there's a new
version on the way. I've been following all the right places for
news, but I just can't contain my excitement. Does anyone know when
the next release is? I'm more excited about it than most people are
about Apple's new iThing"

...and react accordingly. Instead, we get:
Don't bother people. Get off my lawn. Go pay for it if you want it so bad.

To be fair this thread hasn't been as bad as most, but reflecting some
excitement is free. Anyway, here's my response:

Hey man, I'm just as excited as you. I really want to see what C6
looks like and to start playing with it. I'm so happy there's a
modern kernel and recent packages so I don't have to hunt them down.
I think C6 is going to be really cool. I know the CentOS guys put in
a lot of work and I have a lot of respect for them, but they're busy
with real life too. KB posted something on his Twitter, but you know
how deadlines can be. Stuff comes up. All we can really do is wait
until it comes out. If you wanted to help out, here's a link for info
on how to do that... [someone please fill in link here].

Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 AM
"R - elists"

> I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this
> totally free product owes me anything... As a matter of fact,
> we owe the project...

Scott,

yes, we all owe the CentOS project in some way...

thing is, IDFR if we have ever been fully updated on the Open Letter
problem(s) with the project...

im all for seeing the CentOS team get paychecks etc...

yet, a cash donations portal has not been an available option for a long
looonnnngggggg time...

professionally, we desire to see a small fee subscription model for support
of all the people/project overhead...

- rh

Old 02-15-2011, 03:49 AM
lostson

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 18:18 -0800, R - elists wrote:

> > I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this
> > totally free product owes me anything... As a matter of fact,
> > we owe the project...
>
> Scott,
>
> yes, we all owe the CentOS project in some way...
>
> thing is, IDFR if we have ever been fully updated on the Open Letter
> problem(s) with the project...
>
> im all for seeing the CentOS team get paychecks etc...
>
> yet, a cash donations portal has not been an available option for a long
> looonnnngggggg time...
>
> professionally, we desire to see a small fee subscription model for support
> of all the people/project overhead...
>
> - rh

I too would like to see the donations get set back up again and from I
have heard in the rumor mill is that later this year hopefully in the
first quarter this will be up and running again. I inquired about it
awhile ago cuz I would like to donate monthly to the project. So hang in
there things are getting better it is just taking some time to get it
all set up.

LostSon

CentOS - Its Not Just For Servers Ya Know...

Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:18:02PM -0800, R - elists wrote:

> professionally, we desire to see a small fee subscription model for support
> of all the people/project overhead...

Who is this "we" you speak of?

John

--
Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially
under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous.

-- William Proxmire (1915-2005), US senator, reformer

Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Lucian

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 09:00 PM, robert mena wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Despite the mailing list and twitter I did not find any updated info on
>> either versions regarding the current status.
>
> I just finished pushing through the 5.6 distro tree's into the distro
> builders ( so isos get built etc and moved to qa ). Was hoping to have
> this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
> large scale hdd failures ) meant that things at the $dayjob got a bit
> hectic and this slipped a few days.

Ok, shouldn't there be at least 1 more person that can do and access
whatever you can?
God forbid, but what if you get sick again or hit by a lorry, struck
by lightning etc? Who can take over in such situations?

I'm not moaning about the delay (if there even is such a thing), but
it looks to me like the project needs some redundancy in the "human"
dept.

Cheers

Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/2/15 R - elists <lists07@abbacomm.net>:

>> I never ask, and never complain, since I don't feel this
>> totally free product owes me anything... As a matter of fact,
>> we owe the project...
>
> Scott,
>
> yes, we all owe the CentOS project in some way...
>
> thing is, IDFR if we have ever been fully updated on the Open Letter
> problem(s) with the project...
>
> im all for seeing the CentOS team get paychecks etc...
>
> yet, a cash donations portal has not been an available option for a long
> looonnnngggggg time...
>
> professionally, we desire to see a small fee subscription model for support
> of all the people/project overhead...

subscription model, no. donations, yes.

--
Eero

Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 AM
John R Pierce

On 02/14/11 11:05 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> subscription model, no. donations, yes.

as a small cog in a fairly large multinational company, I can say its a
lot easier to get approval for a 'subscription' or 'service' than it is
to donate money.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/2/15 John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>:
> On 02/14/11 11:05 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> subscription model, no. donations, yes.
>
> as a small cog in a fairly large multinational company, I can say its a
> lot easier to get approval for a 'subscription' or 'service' than it is
> to donate money.

yes, it is easier to buy redhat subscription

--
Eero

Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:06:50AM +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> yes, it is easier to buy redhat subscription

+1

John

--
We only have bad solutions, worse solutions and worst solutions.

-- Amos Gilad, a senior Israeli defense official, on policy toward
Gaza, New York Times, 3 June 2010

Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/15/2011 06:01 AM, Lucian wrote:
> Ok, shouldn't there be at least 1 more person that can do and access
> whatever you can?

yes, there is and they can.

- KB