FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Larry Vaden
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>
> * * * *How is a HDD failure at $dayjob an issue of project-related
> * * * *"money"? *Can you perhaps conflate more?

There's a lot of difference between writing

"Was hoping to have
this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
large scale hdd failures ) meant that things at the $dayjob got a bit
hectic and this slipped a few days."

and writing

"Was hoping to have
this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
large scale hdd failures at the $dayjob) meant that things got a bit
hectic and this slipped a few days."

so, as I read it, I had help with the conflation.

Further, I'm surprised to learn that Karanbir's employer would go
against Karanbir's presumed advice against allowing such a situation
to develop.

Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is truly amazing.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Always Learning
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:29 -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:

> Further, I'm surprised to learn that Karanbir's employer would go
> against Karanbir's presumed advice against allowing such a situation
> to develop.

Why don't we give this a break? Nothing more can usefully be written.

KB's employer has no relevance to Centos so please keep his personal
private life out of discussion's about Centos delivery dates.

Please let this topic end now.

Thank you.

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
"John R. Dennison"
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 03:29:17PM -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:
>
> There's a lot of difference between writing
>
> "Was hoping to have
> this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
> large scale hdd failures ) meant that things at the $dayjob got a bit
> hectic and this slipped a few days."
>
> and writing
>
> "Was hoping to have
> this done by the weekend but a series of unfortunate incidents ( like
> large scale hdd failures at the $dayjob) meant that things got a bit
> hectic and this slipped a few days."

No, the difference is actually quite small unless you're looking
for material to argue over.

> so, as I read it, I had help with the conflation.

No, no help at all.

> Further, I'm surprised to learn that Karanbir's employer would go
> against Karanbir's presumed advice against allowing such a situation
> to develop.

100% irrelevant to CentOS or this thread.

> Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is truly amazing.

The project itself doesn't seem to have an issue with funding,
at least no issues I can spot in any public venue, so why do
*you*, an outsider and apparently non-contributor, have such an
issue? I don't get it. You seem to think that money is the end
all be all for OSS. I would suggest that's a mindset you may
wish to change as money doesn't drive OSS.




John

--
"Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each
man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man
as he really is."

-- William James
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On 2/16/2011 3:46 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> You seem to think that money is the end
> all be all for OSS. I would suggest that's a mindset you may
> wish to change as money doesn't drive OSS.

And yet, fairly often in these conversations, paying for an RHEL support
subscription is suggested as a solution.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

Am 16.02.2011 um 22:29 schrieb Larry Vaden:

>
>
> Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is
> truly amazing.


Well, with money come a lot of strings attached.

Most likely, one would either have to incorporate a business or found
some not-for-profit entity if large amounts of money flowed in.

So, I think it's a bit naive to believe that more money would make the
project "better" or make releases appear faster on the mirrors.

Hopefully, the people actually involved in the release-effort don't
get too distracted by this "noise".




Rainer
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Larry Vaden
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>
> Am 16.02.2011 um 22:29 schrieb Larry Vaden:
>
>> Even further, the resistance to properly funding this project is
>> truly amazing.
>
> Well, with money come a lot of strings attached.

Ja und nein.

> Most likely, one would either have to incorporate a business or found
> some not-for-profit entity if large amounts of money flowed in.

Gifts from major corps like HP, IBM, Sun/Oracle, yada 1, yada 2 don't
require said.

> So, I think it's a bit naive to believe that more money would make the
> project "better" or make releases appear faster on the mirrors.

I think it a trit (0, 1, "I don't know) naive to think that
money/donations wouldn't help. These guys said they loose access to
their servers when the rollout starts.

> Hopefully, the people actually involved in the release-effort don't
> get too distracted by this "noise".

There's no truth to the rumor that K & J are the ghost writers behind
"Kill Files For Dummies" but you can Google it.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
"John R. Dennison"
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 03:54:20PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> And yet, fairly often in these conversations, paying for an RHEL support
> subscription is suggested as a solution.

Yep. And I'm the very first to point out that if you're going
to whine, cry, bitch and complain, go do it to someone paid to
listen to you. Part of the cost of the support entitlement at
Redhat goes to paying people to man phones and sales reps to
deal with such. After all, Redhat is a publicly traded
company, they would love to have your business _and_ you'd
actually be supporting CentOS' upstream provider in the process.

But the concept of throwing money at CentOS, a *volunteer*
project, in the deluded and mistaken belief that it will fix all
the wrongs in the world is just ludicrous. With money comes
overhead, management, accountability, multi-national taxation,
ad nauseum. Oh, and the fact that it doesn't solve what people
perceive as "issues".




John

--
I try to treat whoever I meet as an old friend. This gives me a genuine
feeling of happiness. It is the practice of compassion."

-- His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama, from "Compassion and the Individual"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 PM
"John R. Dennison"
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:24:05PM -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>
> I think it a trit (0, 1, "I don't know) naive to think that
> money/donations wouldn't help. These guys said they loose access to
> their servers when the rollout starts.

Jesus. Conflate more. Or even better, _learn to read_ or
perhaps learn something about infrastructure.

> There's no truth to the rumor that K & J are the ghost writers behind
> "Kill Files For Dummies" but you can Google it.

I would have procmail'd you into oblivion quite some time ago
except you continue to spread nonsense in this list and someone
needs to point it out.




John

--
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense and
to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his
children smart.

-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956), writer, editor, and critic
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Larry Vaden
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:36 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 04:24:05PM -0600, Larry Vaden wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>>
>> I think it a trit (0, 1, "I don't know) naive to think that
>> money/donations wouldn't help. *These guys said they loose access to
>> their servers when the rollout starts.
>
> * * * *Jesus. *Conflate more. *Or even better, _learn to read_ or
> * * * *perhaps learn something about infrastructure.
>
>> There's no truth to the rumor that K & J are the ghost writers behind
>> "Kill Files For Dummies" but you can Google it.
>
> * * * *I would have procmail'd you into oblivion quite some time ago
> * * * *except you continue to spread nonsense in this list and someone
> * * * *needs to point it out.

Which word or word phrase in "who's in charge of asking the major
manufacturers to loan a top shelf server to the project?" is nonsense?
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM
John Hinton
 
Default Any update on 5.6 / 6?

I was out yesterday and came home to a pile of messages on this thread.
It seems that we have all at least to some extent raised the 'ire' level
of at least several of our CentOS Core Team. And, then it took me maybe
an hour to read most of the thread... and I see several replies back
from the Core Team members....

What I'm saying is this. This list has taken up the time of the Core
team, perhaps as much as they would have had available to work on CentOS
releases, after day jobs for all of yesterday.

So, when will CentOS 5.6/6 be out? I would guess due to this barrage on
the list, at least one day later than it was 2 days ago?

Can we all please just chill? Or, if you're not happy with the
performance of the CentOS team, perhaps select some other alternative. I
for one don't want the Core team to be 'distracted', 'disgusted', 'mad',
'defensive' or have any other negative feelings about the project as
they are trying to concentrate on the work at hand. These negatives do
not provide the best working environment when it comes to anything
computers.

And from me, a big 'Thank You' again to the maturity level of the Core
team and for your unwavering devotion to this work. Yes, I am anxious,
but also yes, I have perfectly good operating systems right now and I'll
just sit knowing the packages I 'personally want' are coming... or I can
build them myself. Me? I'll happily wait.

John Hinton
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org