Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Drew

Default Server Specs..

> Recently a discussion around server
> specifications were floated with mention
> of routines to stress the configurations.
>
> Do these stress suites exist for server
> testing?

http://www.stresslinux.org/

IMHO, contains one of the best collection of linux based stress
testing & verification tools on a convenient CD. I use it to pound on
off-lease servers before we accept them from our Vendor.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Drew <drew.kay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recently a discussion around server
>> specifications were floated with mention
>> of routines to stress the configurations.
>>
>> Do these stress suites exist for server
>> testing?
>
> http://www.stresslinux.org/
>
> IMHO, contains one of the best collection of linux based stress
> testing & verification tools on a convenient CD. I use it to pound on
> off-lease servers before we accept them from our Vendor.

Interesting.. thanks..

I was hoping that the testing would include validation testing. I'm
looking for a package that lets one easily create tests such as:

* Is /var filesystem 1G or larger
* Does user xxx exist?
* Do packages x, y, z exist at the indicated versions?
* Is IPTABLES enabled on bootup? Is it running currently?

I've been using Perl Test:Harness for some of these, and it works to a
point, but creating new tests is somewhat laborious and requires
familiarity with Perl. I.e., I can do it so that means I end up doing
it...

I wonder what the validation system is for CentOS? Such a suite would
be useful to me to convince others that CentOS works identically --
bug for bug -- with RHEL.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Drew <drew.kay@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Recently a discussion around server
>>> specifications were floated with mention
>>> of routines to stress the configurations.
>>>
>>> Do these stress suites exist for server
>>> testing?
>>
>> http://www.stresslinux.org/
>>
>> IMHO, contains one of the best collection of linux based stress
>> testing & verification tools on a convenient CD. I use it to pound on
>> off-lease servers before we accept them from our Vendor.
>>

> Interesting.. thanks..
>
> I was hoping that the testing would include validation testing. *I'm
> looking for a package that lets one easily create tests such as:
>
> * Is /var filesystem 1G or larger
> * Does user xxx exist?
> * Do packages x, y, z exist at the indicated versions?
> * Is IPTABLES enabled on bootup? *Is it running currently?
>
> I've been using Perl Test:Harness for some of these, and it works to a
> point, but creating new tests is somewhat laborious and requires
> familiarity with Perl. I.e., I can do it so that means I end up doing
> it...
>
> I wonder what the validation system is for CentOS? *Such a suite would
> be useful to me to convince others that CentOS works identically --
> bug for bug -- with RHEL.

Fewer bugs would be *nice*. I've certainly found bugs in CentOS and
RHEL, and reported them upstream. The feature request timeline is also
often markedly faster with CentOS, especially components like "mock"
and a supportable yum environment. (yum-rhen-plugin is an ongoing
problem for those who use it and attempt to do full updates at
kickstart installation time).