Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Ross Walker

Default how do export a block device via eSATA?

On Feb 13, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>> On 02/13/11 1:21 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> I'm trying to build a dense eSATA enclosure with say 16 or 24 drives
>>
>> thats a stunningly bad way to go about it.
>>
>> A) if you want JBOD, use a SAS/SATA enclosure with a SAS host card, as
>> SATA doesn't support multichannel multiplexing.
>

> mmm, I didn't think of this

Dell has the MD1120 which is a 24 bay 2.5" SAS/SATA enclosure. I think it goes for $3000 plus cost of disk drives.

If you want to go cheaper I believe Supermicro makes a 16 drive chassis that is meant for a server, but can be made into an external enclosure, or an iSCSI/NFS/CIFS storage server.

-Ross

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com> wrote:

>>> thats a stunningly bad way to go about it.
>>>
>>> A) if you want JBOD, use a SAS/SATA enclosure with a SAS host card, as
>>> SATA doesn't support multichannel multiplexing.
>>

>> mmm, I didn't think of this
>
> Dell has the MD1120 which is a 24 bay 2.5" SAS/SATA enclosure. I think it goes for $3000 plus cost of disk drives.
>
> If you want to go cheaper I believe Supermicro makes a 16 drive chassis that is meant for a server, but can be made into an external enclosure, or an iSCSI/NFS/CIFS storage server.
>
> -Ross

Thanx Ross.

We got those 16 drive SuperMicro chassis, which is what I want to use,
and they're already running FreeNAS which offers iSCSI & NFS.

I just had this idea of exploring eSATA since most machines already
have an eSATA port. So if I don't get this working, it's not a big
deal. But, I think it could be a cheap alternative to SAS / FC
interconnect.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Ross Walker

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> mmm, I didn't think of this
>>
>> Dell has the MD1120 which is a 24 bay 2.5" SAS/SATA enclosure. I think it goes for $3000 plus cost of disk drives.
>>
>> If you want to go cheaper I believe Supermicro makes a 16 drive chassis that is meant for a server, but can be made into an external enclosure, or an iSCSI/NFS/CIFS storage server.
>>
>> -Ross
>>

> Thanx Ross.
>
> We got those 16 drive SuperMicro chassis, which is what I want to use,
> and they're already running FreeNAS which offers iSCSI & NFS.
>
> I just had this idea of exploring eSATA since most machines already
> have an eSATA port. So if I don't get this working, it's not a big
> deal. But, I think it could be a cheap alternative to SAS / FC
> interconnect.

Then take the supermicro chassis without motherboard, get an eSATA to SATA connector, connect it to a port multiplier and then to the 16 drives and see if that works.

-Ross

Old 02-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/14/11 7:57 AM, Ross Walker wrote:

>> I just had this idea of exploring eSATA since most machines already
>> have an eSATA port. So if I don't get this working, it's not a big
>> deal. But, I think it could be a cheap alternative to SAS / FC
>> interconnect.
>
> Then take the supermicro chassis without motherboard, get an eSATA to SATA connector, connect it to a port multiplier and then to the 16 drives and see if that works.

Are the Centos drivers for SATA port multiplexers solid these days? Are there
any differences?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Jeff Hefner

I've started building a JBOD out of a Supermicro case for expanding
the available storage on my home network. So I have a few comments
about what I learned so far about using Supermicro as JBODs.

Supermicro has several multi bay chassis as part of their current
product line but I'm looking to do this on a budget so I took the ebay
route. I found some reasonably priced 12 bay cases use "Supermicro 12
bay" as your search criteria. I found a good deal that cost a tad over
two hundred bucks. I was a bit drawn to the Supermicro chassis since
they make a power card that allows the front power button to control
the power supply without a motherboard. It is designed with the
intention of using the cases as JBODs.

CSE-PTJBOD-CB1

The backplane port(s) can be mapped to the outside with something like this:

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/

Since my case doesn't have an expander backplane and is instead
comprised of 12 individual SATA ports In my case I'll end up with
three ports exposed since each connector supports 4 drives. If you
have an expander backplane it could be as simple as a single cable.

>From there you'll connect the external SAS ports to a SATA/SAS
adapter. It is possible to get SATA/SAS cards that already have
externally available SFF-8088 ports or if they are all internal you
can expose them externally by using the same SFF-8088 PCI brackets on
the server side.

I intend on hooking this JBOD up to a couple of computers which is why
I am not just putting a motherboard and running it as a full on
server.

On a side not since this is for home usage a few things I plan on
doing to make it better suited is replacing the hotswap 800 watt power
supply with something high efficiency and at least half the watts and
use quieter fans possibly putting them on some kind of speed control

jeff

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Jeff Hefner <jeffhefner@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started building a JBOD out of a Supermicro case for expanding
> the available storage on my home network. So I have a few comments
> about what I learned so far about using Supermicro as JBODs.
>
> Supermicro has several multi bay chassis as part of their current
> product line but I'm looking to do this on a budget so I took the ebay
> route. I found some reasonably priced 12 bay cases use "Supermicro 12
> bay" as your search criteria. I found a good deal that cost a tad over
> two hundred bucks. I was a bit drawn to the Supermicro chassis since
> they make a power card that allows the front power button to control
> the power supply without a motherboard. It is designed with the
> intention of using the cases as JBODs.
>
> CSE-PTJBOD-CB1
>
> The backplane port(s) can be mapped to the outside with something like this:
>
> http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/
>
> Since my case doesn't have an expander backplane and is instead
> comprised of 12 individual SATA ports In my case I'll end up with
> three ports exposed since each connector supports 4 drives. If you
> have an expander backplane it could be as simple as a single cable.
>
> >From there you'll connect the external SAS ports to a SATA/SAS
> adapter. It is possible to get SATA/SAS cards that already have
> externally available SFF-8088 ports or if they are all internal you
> can expose them externally by using the same SFF-8088 PCI brackets on
> the server side.
>
> I intend on hooking this JBOD up to a couple of computers which is why
> I am not just putting a motherboard and running it as a full on
> server.
>
> On a side not since this is for home usage a few things I plan on
> doing to make it better suited is replacing the hotswap 800 watt power
> supply with something high efficiency and at least half the watts and
> use quieter fans possibly putting them on some kind of speed control
>

> jeff

Jeff, what you did is exactly what I want todo as well

And, while thinking about how todo it on the cheap, I thought about
using eSATA for it.

The only options I could find what SATA port replicators, but they're
limited to 4/5 ports each. And I can't find a supplier in our country
for them, so I guess I'll have to import them, which will end up
costing an arm and a leg again. Our import duties are expensive.

Which SAS expander did you use? Our local SuperMicro suppliers have
limited products available so if I need something that they don't
have, I'll have to convince them to get it for me.

Upto now they've sold me full blown servers with iSCSI interconnects,
which is expensive if I don't actually use the motherboard, CPU or RAM
for anything useful.

I'm also considering going another route, but it seems that suppliers
in our country simply don't like selling loose components. Why, I
don't know, but I guess someone has to milk the poor clients of their
money.