Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Default Samba or NFS

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 5:01 PM, Alfredo Perez wrote:
>> Thanks, I think I was trying to kill a fly with a Bazuca
>
> Someone already mentioned rsync for copies, but if you want to keep a
> longer history of backups online you might like backuppc.
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Or "rsnapshot", which is very lightweight and works very well. If you
have security concerns, you can also use "rssh" woith it.

I find it very useful to rsnapshot to an NFS server, which my users
can then access with their normal privileges to recover files without
my having to load tapes or install backup clients for them.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Robert Heller

> Hello
>
> Thinking of setup a backup process between two Centos systems.
> One will backup to the other one. For those people out there with
> Centos production severs what would you recommend to use
>
> Samba or NFS
>
> What is the most common and simple to use?
>
> Many thanks in advance

There is little reason to use Samba between two *UNIX* (Linux) systems.
NFS is more seamlessly integrated in UNIX systems.

OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be
somewhat simplier.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM
John R Pierce

On 02/11/11 5:12 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

> OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be
> somewhat simplier.

except that provides no point in time restoration ability.

I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Peter A

On Friday, February 11, 2011 08:14:54 pm John R Pierce wrote:

> On 02/11/11 5:12 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

> > OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be

> > somewhat simplier.

> except that provides no point in time restoration ability.

> I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and

> regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.

Not quite as simple as a dump restore, but duplicity works beatifully for point in time backups...

Peter.

--

Censorship: noun, circa 1591. a: Relief of the burden of independent thinking.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 02/11/11 5:12 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>> OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be
>> somewhat simplier.
>
> except that provides no point in time restoration ability.
>
> I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
> regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.

rsnapshot is a perl script wrapper for rsync. Works *beautifully* to
provide hardlinked temporal snapshot repositories, I've used it
effectively for years.

dump/restore is also deprecated because it's reading the raw
fileystem, and modern Linux (such as CentOS 5.x) does a lot of paging.
So data that is still paged out yet, and not yet written to disk, is
not backed up correctly and likely to be corrupt. Definitely switch to
tar, or star if you need SELinux permissions backed up, to write to
disk or for temporal snapshots of your OS.

Rsync, unfortunately, has issues with SELinux restoration in my experience.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 07:54:17AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> > On 02/11/11 5:12 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> >>
> >> OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be
> >> somewhat simplier.
> >
> > except that provides no point in time restoration ability.
> >
> > I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
> > regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.
>
> rsnapshot is a perl script wrapper for rsync. Works *beautifully* to
> provide hardlinked temporal snapshot repositories, I've used it
> effectively for years.
>
> dump/restore is also deprecated because it's reading the raw
> fileystem, and modern Linux (such as CentOS 5.x) does a lot of paging.
> So data that is still paged out yet, and not yet written to disk, is
> not backed up correctly and likely to be corrupt. Definitely switch to
> tar, or star if you need SELinux permissions backed up, to write to
> disk or for temporal snapshots of your OS.

dump/restore deprecated??? Sounds like your own personal pronouncement.
dump/restore is very actively used.

> Rsync, unfortunately, has issues with SELinux restoration in my experience.

SELinux has lots of issues with lots of things making its value suspect.

////jerry

Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/12/11 6:54 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> OTOH, for mere backup using rsync and ssh might work even better and be
>>> somewhat simplier.
>>
>> except that provides no point in time restoration ability.
>>
>> I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
>> regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.
>
> rsnapshot is a perl script wrapper for rsync.

So is backuppc (plus it can also use use tar, smb, or ftp to collect the files).

> Works *beautifully* to
> provide hardlinked temporal snapshot repositories, I've used it
> effectively for years.

Backuppc can compress the files and also pools all duplicate content with
hardlinks even if found on different machines. And it provides a nice web
interface to browse and restore backups either by downloading through the
browser or copying back to the source machine. The web interface can restrict
the view of a user to only certain machines so users can do their own restores
and control the configuration for their own machines.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 07:54:17AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> > except that provides no point in time restoration ability.
>> >
>> > I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
>> > regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.
>>
>> rsnapshot is a perl script wrapper for rsync. Works *beautifully* to
>> provide hardlinked temporal snapshot repositories, I've used it
>> effectively for years.
>>
>> dump/restore is also deprecated because it's reading the raw
>> fileystem, and modern Linux (such as CentOS 5.x) does a lot of paging.
>> So data that is still paged out yet, and not yet written to disk, is
>> not backed up correctly and likely to be corrupt. Definitely switch to
>> tar, or star if you need SELinux permissions backed up, to write to
>> disk or for temporal snapshots of your OS.
>
> dump/restore deprecated??? *Sounds like your own personal pronouncement.
> dump/restore is very actively used.

So are rsh and telnet. This does not prevent their well justified
deprecation. Even Linus Torvalds and RedHat have deprecated
dump/restore, and the advent of ext3 with journaling and ext4 with the
write-to-disk operations delayed up to a minute make the risks even
greater. There's a decent synopsis of the problem at:

http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html

>> Rsync, unfortunately, has issues with SELinux restoration in my experience.
>
> SELinux has lots of issues with lots of things making its value suspect.
>
> ////jerry

Well, yes, it's an ongoing issue. "star" works well to propagate those
settings, and is useful for storing backups with the corect SELinux
information for restoration. rsync, tar, and dump/restore do *NOT*, at
least on CentOS 5.x

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/12/2011 10:57 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> except that provides no point in time restoration ability.
>>>
>>> I prefer backup schemes that use dump/restore to do occasional full and
>>> regular incremental backups, and for these, NFS is quite useful.
>>
>> rsnapshot is a perl script wrapper for rsync.
>
> So is backuppc (plus it can also use use tar, smb, or ftp to collect the files).
>
>> Works *beautifully* to
>> provide hardlinked temporal snapshot repositories, I've used it
>> effectively for years.
>
> Backuppc can compress the files and also pools all duplicate content with
> hardlinks even if found on different machines. And it provides a nice web
> interface to browse and restore backups either by downloading through the
> browser or copying back to the source machine. The web interface can restrict
> the view of a user to only certain machines so users can do their own restores
> and control the configuration for their own machines.

I use backuppc in all our offices.

You can even allow users to pull files back to their own machines if you
like (they can only see their machine when they login). Access to the
backups is via a normal file system tree after you pick the backup.

The web interface is very easy to use.

I love it.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Dan

Hi,

I have two linux servers. One file server (debian) that is running
samba and one application server (redhat). I would like to mount the
shares of the file server in the application server. The problem is
that the usernames are very different. Samba is already running and
easier to set-up. NFS seems to be more difficult to set-up and also
there are more security issues.

Which are the advantages of NFS over Samba (cifs) other than the
symbolic links. I read that even some people prefer samba over NFS to
connect Unix to Unix.

Thanks,
Dan