Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
ann kok

Default java please help

Hi

I use yum to install openjdk 1.6.0 in centos5.5

but the firefox browser still says that

JRE not installation / Java is disabled

Can you help

Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 PM

ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use yum to install openjdk 1.6.0 in centos5.5
>
> but the firefox browser still says that
>
> JRE not installation / Java is disabled
>
> Can you help

No, I can't.

*sigh*

openjdk decided to stop supporting the java plugin about a year or so ago,
and the "workaround" is to install Sun's Java.

mark "did that, and mine still doesn't work, even though firefox
claims it's there"

Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] java please help
>
> ann kok wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I use yum to install openjdk 1.6.0 in centos5.5
>>
>> but the firefox browser still says that
>>
>> JRE not installation / Java is disabled
>>
>> Can you help
>
> No, I can't.
>
> *sigh*
>
> openjdk decided to stop supporting the java plugin about a year or so ago,
> and the "workaround" is to install Sun's Java.
>
> mark "did that, and mine still doesn't work, even though firefox
> claims it's there"

Mine works - hehehe.

This was answered yesterday on the list IIRC

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 11:42 -0800, ann kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use yum to install openjdk 1.6.0 in centos5.5
>
> but the firefox browser still says that
>
> JRE not installation / Java is disabled
>
> Can you help

<snip>

This works for me.

To enable java, download and install the appropriate version for your
architecture here.
http://java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com .

For i386:

Navigate to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and create ln -s
to /usr/java/jre*/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so.

For x86_64:

Navigate to /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins and ln -s
to /usr/lib/java/jre*/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so.

HTH, YMMV
B.J.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> ann kok wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I use yum to install openjdk 1.6.0 in centos5.5
>>
>> but the firefox browser still says that
>>
>> JRE not installation / Java is disabled
>>
>> Can you help
>
> No, I can't.
>
> *sigh*
>
> openjdk decided to stop supporting the java plugin about a year or so ago,
> and the "workaround" is to install Sun's Java.
>
> * * *mark "did that, and mine still doesn't work, even though firefox
> * * * * * * * claims it's there"

The relevant "java-sun-compat" and other widgets are over on JPackage,
but awkwardly out of date. RHEL provides them as part of their
"supplementary" packages, which is not completely integrated with
CentOS.

If you need the latest/greatest, to play nicely, I can publish my
.spec files for the various Sun/Oracle published components. My
"jpackage-utils-compat-el5" package, in particular resolves some the
RHEL/CentOS spacific requirements for the wildly out of date
jpackage-utils components.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 AM
JohnS

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 20:03 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> If you need the latest/greatest, to play nicely, I can publish my
> .spec files for the various Sun/Oracle published components. My
> "jpackage-utils-compat-el5" package, in particular resolves some the
> RHEL/CentOS spacific requirements for the wildly out of date
> jpackage-utils components.

Well having not being able to understand why some people can not make a
simple sym link baffles me really bad. Would be great if I could catch
a look-see at the specs you got...

John

Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM, JohnS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 20:03 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> If you need the latest/greatest, to play nicely, I can publish my
>> .spec files for the various Sun/Oracle published components. My
>> "jpackage-utils-compat-el5" package, in particular resolves some the
>> RHEL/CentOS spacific requirements for the wildly out of date
>> jpackage-utils components.
>
> Well having not being able to understand why some people can not make a
> simple sym link baffles me really bad. *Would be great if I could catch
> a look-see at the specs you got...
>
> John

They're here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.jpackage.general/14404
in archives of this list.

I'm.... reluctant to say "here, stuff in extra symlinks in /usr/bin
just for one package that are not actually part of that package". That
way lies maintenance madness. It *is* possible to compile an RPM
differently under different releases. or to it in a separate
compatibility widget. (I went through that with OpenSSH recently, a
custom version someone built on RHEL 3 and expected to work on RHEL 5:
it was very confused about where "xauth" was.)

But I'm looking at http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/6.0/, and I'm
not even seeing hooks for RHEL 4. Is it worth pursuing compatibility
with that OS? Are other people using it?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 AM
JohnS

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 07:40 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> But I'm looking at http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/6.0/, and I'm
> not even seeing hooks for RHEL 4. Is it worth pursuing compatibility
> with that OS? Are other people using it?

Well all the source rpms are there. If they will build under EL4 that
is another thing to see. i don't think it would be worth the effort in
doing so in my opinion because of the age of EL4. On the other hand if
I had applications running under EL4 then it would be an huge advantage
to me in doing so. I would be trying my best to migrate them to at
least EL5 asap. I would stick with EL5 and EL6 that's enough in itself
to keep up with. Building for 3 different Java stacks (el 4,5,6) would
be a pita.

John