FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

At Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:25:24 +0000 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> One of my VPS stopped working. After the data centre replaced a disk
> normal service resumed, then I notices this:
>
> CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
> Kernel 2.6.35.4 on an x86_64
>
> I always thought Centos 5.x would always be on 2.6.18. Any thoughts?

Depending on what sort of VM system the data centre uses, it is possible
to have a non-standard kernel. This is my VPS (CentOS 4.8):

sauron.deepsoft.com% ssh sharky.deepsoft.com cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
sauron.deepsoft.com% ssh sharky.deepsoft.com uname -r
2.6.18-194.17.1.el5.028stab070.7

*I* don't have control over the kernel -- this is set up as part of the
virtual machine setup, by the people I am renting the VPS from.

>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com
Deepwoods Software -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
() ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Always Learning
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

Hi Brian T. & Robert,

Thanks for your input.

I did a uname -a on a selection of Centos 5.5 machines and found the
servers, netbooks and laptops were all a variety of 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
and 2.6.19-194.32.1.el5-centos.plus. Only the VPS were different most
likely, as Robert suggested, because of the base operating system.

I can update the VPS kernels and am looking forward to the surprises,
all nice ones I hope, in 5.6 and then 6.0.

Sometimes I just wonder about the luckiness of us non-Windoze people. We
have a really marvellous choice of operating systems (BSDs, Solaris,
Linux et al) and its all free and outstandingly good and reliable.

I feel sorry for the Windoze victims. Its a really horrible experience
using a bug-laden and Micro$oft knows best machine where it is awkward
trying to make changes and avoid the ghastly mess of M$ Internet
Security - ugh! Centos is so relaxing and enjoyable :-)

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
David Sommerseth
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On 11/02/11 03:05, Always Learning wrote:
[...snip...]
>
> Sometimes I just wonder about the luckiness of us non-Windoze people. We
> have a really marvellous choice of operating systems (BSDs, Solaris,
> Linux et al) and its all free and outstandingly good and reliable.
>
> I feel sorry for the Windoze victims. Its a really horrible experience
> using a bug-laden and Micro$oft knows best machine where it is awkward
> trying to make changes and avoid the ghastly mess of M$ Internet
> Security - ugh! Centos is so relaxing and enjoyable :-)

Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as an
operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful about
talking about its users, you do not know the reason why they run another OS
than those which you love.

Those who uses *nix oriented/based OSes aren't better people or superior to
those not doing so. They are just different, with a different different
needs. It doesn't necessarily make them victims or unlucky.


kind regards,

David Sommerseth

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Always Learning
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 16:03 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:

> On 11/02/11 03:05, Always Learning wrote:
> [...snip...]
> >
> > Sometimes I just wonder about the luckiness of us non-Windoze people. We
> > have a really marvellous choice of operating systems (BSDs, Solaris,
> > Linux et al) and its all free and outstandingly good and reliable.
> >
> > I feel sorry for the Windoze victims. Its a really horrible experience
> > using a bug-laden and Micro$oft knows best machine where it is awkward
> > trying to make changes and avoid the ghastly mess of M$ Internet
> > Security - ugh! Centos is so relaxing and enjoyable :-)
>
> Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as an
> operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful about
> talking about its users, you do not know the reason why they run another OS
> than those which you love.

They probably run Windoze because:-

(1) they are unaware of other operating systems;

(2) their application only runs on Windoze;

(3) their employer is a Windoze-only user;

(4) when they purchased their new computer it was pre-installed with
Windoze, for which they had to pay the Micro$oft premium (something
which needs challenging in the EU), and XP on netbook refuses to work if
the the hard disk is partitioned to create space for Linux whilst
Windows 7 deliberately occupies all 4 primary sectors and the entire
hard disk space just to obstruct users from installing another operating
system;

(4) they work for Micro$oft;

(5) they mistakenly believe Windoze is the best operating system in the
world;

> Those who uses *nix oriented/based OSes aren't better people or superior to
> those not doing so. They are just different, with a different different
> needs. It doesn't necessarily make them victims or unlucky.

I think *nix users are more enlightened people and more aware of
computers, in the widest sense, generally. They are individuals who
enjoy things like 'Windows for Adults' (i.e. Gnome etc.) rather than
'Windoze for Young Impressionable Children'. They are much luckier to
enjoy a better, less stressful and more reliable operating system.

With best regards,

Paul.

Programmer et al 1967-2011.
Windows user 1992-2010.
Joyful Linux user and programmer et al 2010-


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 11/02/11 03:05, Always Learning wrote:
> [...snip...]
>>
>> Sometimes I just wonder about the luckiness of us non-Windoze people. We
>> have a really marvellous choice of operating systems (BSDs, Solaris,
>> Linux et al) and its all free and outstandingly good and reliable.
>>
>> I feel sorry for the Windoze victims. Its a really horrible experience
>> using a bug-laden and Micro$oft knows best machine where it is awkward
>> trying to make changes and avoid the ghastly mess of M$ Internet
>> Security - ugh! Centos is so relaxing and enjoyable :-)
>
> Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as an
> operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful about

Yes, there can, and has been, a lot said. A *LOT* of it has not been
positive (at least since WinDoze 95). I can go on for a while, though it's
OT, as to their *lousy* design decisions, and then there's all the
lawsuits that they lost, where they paid to cut out competetors.

> talking about its users, you do not know the reason why they run another
> OS than those which you love.

Lack of knowledge and/or choice.
>
> Those who uses *nix oriented/based OSes aren't better people or superior
> to those not doing so. They are just different, with a different different
> needs. It doesn't necessarily make them victims or unlucky.

Sure it does. And we're Superior (tm), don'tcha know?

mark "actually liked DOS"

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On 2/11/2011 9:58 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as an
>> operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful about
>
> Yes, there can, and has been, a lot said. A *LOT* of it has not been
> positive (at least since WinDoze 95). I can go on for a while, though it's
> OT, as to their *lousy* design decisions, and then there's all the
> lawsuits that they lost, where they paid to cut out competetors.

But those have next to nothing to do with their current products. If
you go back to '95 and look at the security/design flaws in shipping
Linux products it is not pretty either. Pretty much everything had wide
open holes in required network services like bind/sendmail/ftp as well
as the kernel itself (wade through the changelogs on any of the programs
if you aren't convinced). I do agree that pre XP/SP2 versions of
windows were badly broken and still resent the trouble they caused, but
it's probably time to forget that.

>> talking about its users, you do not know the reason why they run another
>> OS than those which you love.
>
> Lack of knowledge and/or choice.

Or lack of problems. Since MS started enabling a firewall by default
and supplying regular updates it mostly just works. I still run XP on
my work laptop, close it to sleep with running apps, open to wake up (in
seconds) on a different network, bouncing between wired/docked and
wireless undocked transparently and it runs for months at a time.
Another laptop at home does the same with Windows 7 (minus the dock).
It has been much easier to use windows running the NX client with freenx
on Linux than to keep working video drivers for native X on linux. I
can boot into Linux on my work laptop, but why? The only real reason is
if I want to access an ext3 formatted disk via USB and that turns out to
work just as well under vmware player, keeping XP's more agile network
management and leaving my other open apps running.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 9:58 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as
>>> an operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful
about
>>
>> Yes, there can, and has been, a lot said. A *LOT* of it has not been
>> positive (at least since WinDoze 95). I can go on for a while, though
>> it's OT, as to their *lousy* design decisions, and then there's all the
>> lawsuits that they lost, where they paid to cut out competetors.
>
> But those have next to nothing to do with their current products. If

They have *everything* to do. Look, I *said* this is OT, but since you
insist, the overwhelmingly *bad* design decision was to put the GUI into
ring 0, instead of the way Windows 3, and X on *Nix, and *everybody* else
did, resulting in a GUI error bringing down the *entire* system.
<snip>

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Always Learning
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 10:58 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> mark "actually liked DOS"

Me too!

--

With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
John Hodrien
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> They have *everything* to do. Look, I *said* this is OT, but since you
> insist, the overwhelmingly *bad* design decision was to put the GUI into
> ring 0, instead of the way Windows 3, and X on *Nix, and *everybody* else
> did, resulting in a GUI error bringing down the *entire* system.
> <snip>

I thought Vista brought that to be much more inline with how it is on linux.

It's still the case that a graphics driver error on linux can take out the
entire system, so it's not like linux is some sort of gold standard on this
front.

jh
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Strange Kernel for Centos 5.5

On 2/11/2011 10:39 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

>>>> Be careful with saying such things. A lot can be said about Windows as
>>>> an operating system and Microsoft as a company. But be very careful
> about
>>>
>>> Yes, there can, and has been, a lot said. A *LOT* of it has not been
>>> positive (at least since WinDoze 95). I can go on for a while, though
>>> it's OT, as to their *lousy* design decisions, and then there's all the
>>> lawsuits that they lost, where they paid to cut out competetors.
>>
>> But those have next to nothing to do with their current products. If
>
> They have *everything* to do. Look, I *said* this is OT, but since you
> insist, the overwhelmingly *bad* design decision was to put the GUI into
> ring 0, instead of the way Windows 3, and X on *Nix, and *everybody* else
> did, resulting in a GUI error bringing down the *entire* system.
> <snip>

Yes, but with Linux and many, many, many combination of shipping
software and existing hardware you actually have GUI errors. With the
combinations of windows drivers and hardware I've used, I haven't seen
any such error in years. While I agree that even running a GUI at all
on a server is a waste of resources, in practice it is not something
that matters. My company runs about 10x the number of windows servers
as Linux. Not my choice of course, but we don't see OS-related
differences in reliability, just different quirks you have to work around.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org