Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Denis Zaharov

Default High Availability and Storage Cluster

Dear mailing list members,

There was a branch about clusters, but I have a certain task.

There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
services on another server with replication of data.

Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?
Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?

--
Kind regards,
Denis Zaharov

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/09/2011 07:50 AM, Denis Zaharov wrote:
> Dear mailing list members,
>
> There was a branch about clusters, but I have a certain task.
>
> There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
> The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
> using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
> If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
> services on another server with replication of data.
>
> Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?
> Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?

If I was going to do this, I would use DRBD and Heartbeat

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Denis Zaharov wrote:
> Dear mailing list members,
>
> There was a branch about clusters, but I have a certain task.
>
> There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
> The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
> using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
> If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
> services on another server with replication of data.
>
> Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?
> Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?

I've not worked with the RH Cluster Suite, but I think it, or heartbeat,
is what you want. By the way, what you're describing is called h/a (high
availability) failover (knowing the right terms will help your googling),
and that's exactly what it's for.

mark

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On 2/9/11, Denis Zaharov <dizaharov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mailing list members,
>
> There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
> The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
> using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
> If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
> services on another server with replication of data.
>
> Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?

Assuming all the application uses Single instance mysql or apache
service, Yes. For multiple instances though, you need to check
further.

You may lose a sessions during the transition, I am not too sure.
Again depends how application handles it. Don't know.

> Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?

Well, if you want HA filesystem too, then GFS on top CLVM on top of
DRBD makes sense.

But DRBD HA should be simpler for two node.

Adding couple of NIC and bonding them will help further the high availability

However, ir you plan to add more nodes to this cluster, then consider
RHCS as that would supprt 16 nodes IIRC.

And oh, RHCS requires good working fencing -- power or management port
and/or storage. Don't leave home without it!

Regards,

Rajagopal

Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Ryan Manikowski

On 2/9/2011 7:04 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On 2/9/11, Denis Zaharov<dizaharov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear mailing list members,
>>
>> There are two servers with CentOS 5.5 installed.
>> The servers are working with Zabbix (monitoring system for traffic,
>> using a MySQL), wiki and RT (all are using Apache).
>> If one server will have became not available then necessary start these
>> services on another server with replication of data.
>>
>> Can I use the Red Hat Cluster Suite for it at CentOS?
> Assuming all the application uses Single instance mysql or apache
> service, Yes. For multiple instances though, you need to check
> further.
>
> You may lose a sessions during the transition, I am not too sure.
> Again depends how application handles it. Don't know.
>
>> Also I heard about Heartbeat and DRBD. Maybe it is what I need?
>>
> Well, if you want HA filesystem too, then GFS on top CLVM on top of
> DRBD makes sense.
>
> But DRBD HA should be simpler for two node.
>
> Adding couple of NIC and bonding them will help further the high availability
>
> However, ir you plan to add more nodes to this cluster, then consider
> RHCS as that would supprt 16 nodes IIRC.
>
> And oh, RHCS requires good working fencing -- power or management port
> and/or storage. Don't leave home without it!

Also remember that Zabbix will only allow you to specify ONE server
address in the client config. You can use heartbeat to handle the VIP
(Virtual IP) failover, drbd, mysql and apache.

Ryan