Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Ken Olsen od DEC, 1927-2011

A lot of us wouldn't be here without him. DEC made good, really reliable
hardware.

mark

<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/020711-kenneth-olsen-dec-obit.html>

Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Matty Sarro

Ethernet wouldn't be here without DIX ethernet. Props old fellow, may
72 virgins await your arrival.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Johnny H

Thanks Mark, for this and your previous email.

It is always sad when anyone dies, God rest his soul. To be honest, I
have never heard of him before but it appears he made a massive
contribution in his life and he is probably a good inspiration to many
people.

I need to read through your articles' I am now at home, sitting after
a bottle of wine.

Do you think a corei7 980x with 12GB of ram could do as an emergency
back-up for data analyses? I am thinking of building one.

Cheers,

John.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/08/11 2:40 PM, Johnny H wrote:
> Thanks ....Do you think a corei7 980x with 12GB of ram could do as an emergency
> back-up for data analyses? ....

folks, I think this was bleed from a CC to a redhat linux mail list.
let it be.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/8/2011 4:40 PM, Johnny H wrote:
> Thanks Mark, for this and your previous email.
>
> It is always sad when anyone dies, God rest his soul. To be honest, I
> have never heard of him before but it appears he made a massive
> contribution in his life and he is probably a good inspiration to many
> people.

Unfortunately, the thing he will probably be most remembered for is the
1977 quote: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in
his home."

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 17:02 Tue 08 Feb, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 2/8/2011 4:40 PM, Johnny H wrote:
> > Thanks Mark, for this and your previous email.
> >
> > It is always sad when anyone dies, God rest his soul. To be honest, I
> > have never heard of him before but it appears he made a massive
> > contribution in his life and he is probably a good inspiration to many
> > people.
>
> Unfortunately, the thing he will probably be most remembered for is the
> 1977 quote: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in
> his home."

That and snake oil.

In fairness, Olsen wasn't the only one to make a comically understated
estimate of future widespread computer use. Ed Yourdon proclaimed in
1975 (the year Apple Computer was founded): "unless you're very rich
or very eccentric, you'll never have your own computer". In fairness, he
fessed up to it in a later book: http://bit.ly/hlIO1v

The snake oil comment is also interesting in context. The main thrust
appeared to be that pouring the label "UNIX" over a pile of silicon and
bits didn't magically make all compatibility issues disappear:

http://sinix.org/blog/?p=16

Olsen without mentioning particular companies, likened some vendors
of Unix products to “snake oil” salesmen and said the claim that
Unix will resolve incompatibility problems within multi-vendor
networks is “a naive idea.” “It still won’t resolve the problem of
interchangeability”, he said, adding that the operating system is
just one of the several components needed to achieve compatibility.
He cited windowing ability and communications protocols as two other
major components.

Somewhat ironically, by the time Olsen made those comments (1987),
interchangeability was being addressed by the GNU project (the GNU
manifesto was written in 1985), windowing by the X11 project (1984), and
communications by TCP/IP (in BSD UNIX as of 1983).

Still, yes, among my first UNIX experiences were the campus PDP-11
systems, and I suffered for a while on VAX/VMS and Alpha/OpenVMS.

I've resisted the impulse to declare the death of a snake-oil salesman,
however.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Robot Wrangler When you seek unlimited power

Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Ian Murray

> "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in
> his home."

Google thinks the same, don't they?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Mark

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Ian Murray <murrayie@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> "There is no reason for *any individual to have a computer in
>> his home."
>
> Google thinks the same, don't they?

Yes, let's blame cloud computing on Google....

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Raymond Lillard

On 02/08/2011 03:28 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> on 17:02 Tue 08 Feb, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell@gmail.com) wrote:
>> On 2/8/2011 4:40 PM, Johnny H wrote:
>>> Thanks Mark, for this and your previous email.

>> Unfortunately, the thing he will probably be most remembered for is the
>> 1977 quote: "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in
>> his home."

I respectfully disagree. One mis-statement in a public speech
does not come close to defining the man.

The statement is generally quoted without context as it is
here. He was actually speaking of computer controlled homes,
(temperature, lighting, etc...) rather than the PC (entertainment
and communication) found in most homes today. We are of course,
sneaking up on the home control thing (energy management), so in
time he will have been mistaken in the context he intended.

Ironically, in those years my well appointed apartment was
furnished with a surplus PDP-8, an air mattress, stereo system
and a Mr Coffee. This was of course prior to wife and family. :-)
I did get to keep the stereo system.

> In fairness, Olsen wasn't the only one to make a comically understated
> estimate of future widespread computer use. Ed Yourdon proclaimed in
> 1975 (the year Apple Computer was founded): "unless you're very rich
> or very eccentric, you'll never have your own computer". In fairness, he
> fessed up to it in a later book: http://bit.ly/hlIO1v

Others have made similarly short-sighted remarks in public places.
Most of us make them on less exalted stages and so are not called
to account.

Regards,
Ray