Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Johnny H

Default Configuring a cluster

Dear Centos users,
I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Digimer

On 02/08/2011 09:49 AM, Johnny H wrote:
> Dear Centos users,
> I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
> I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
> I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

First;

What kind of cluster? There are as many clusters as there are problems.

Second;

Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning. Clusters are generally
not simple things and require a fair bit of understanding to maintain
properly. It is not inherently difficult, but it is quite involved. If
you are not in a position to learn this yourself, find and retain a
cluster admin.

Third;

Assuming you want a high-availability cluster, start be reading up on
Corosync and Pacemaker. The former provides cluster communication, the
latter provides resource management.

Finally;

There is a good clustering mailing list at

Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin: http://nodeassassin.org

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Johnny H wrote:
> Dear Centos users,
> I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
> I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
> I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

What do you mean by "cluster"? Is this for high-availability (H/A), or
load balancing for very heavy traffic, or high performance computing? Each
is different.

mark

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Google centos cluster configuration howto

Hit 1:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/centos_linux_guides/centos_cluste
r_configuration_and_management/index.html

This is a Table of Contents to a (fairly extensive) web tree all about
configuring and managing a Red Hat cluster suite.

Hit 2 is one of the pages in Hit 1

Other hits provide information that looks pretty comprehensive.

/me

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

> Dear Centos users,
> I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
> I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
> I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?

Hi !

What kind of cluster ? Is it for high-availibity ? Will there be shared
storage ?

I got with the same questions in the past monthts, and you can take a look
at the doc :

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Cluster_Suite_Overview/index.html

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Cluster_Administration/index.html

These are from the Upstream vendor's and that is what's included with CentIS
5.5 (sson to be 5.6). CentOS 6 isn't out yet, but should be in the following
months.

You can also subscribe to the linux-cluster list :

This list is very friendly and very centos-open.

If you're not a sys-admin, you will probably need to get one to administer
such cluster.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 03:49:51 pm Johnny H wrote:
> Dear Centos users,
> I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
> I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
> I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?

First things first, are you thinking of a compute cluster or a service/HA one?

/Peter

Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Les Mikesell

On 2/8/2011 8:54 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Johnny H wrote:
>> Dear Centos users,
>> I am not sure if this the correct place to post but it seems sensible.
>> I have an 8 node cluster which I want to install/configure Centos. As
>> I am not a sys-admin, can anyone advise me on what I should do?
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> What do you mean by "cluster"? Is this for high-availability (H/A), or
> load balancing for very heavy traffic, or high performance computing? Each
> is different.

Or, these days there is even a category of distributed databases like
riak that work across a group of machines, and only the app needs to be
set up for clustering.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Johnny H

Dear all,
Thank you very much for your answers; am a little overwhelmed as I did
not expect so many so fast. I will take a look at your suggestions and
sites.

The cluster is medium performance for something called bioinformatics;
we are looking at next generation sequence data.

I know it had Centos installed and was using Torque/PBS for running
cluster jobs. This was set up by a company and we want to install
fresh.

If I get anywhere without a sys admin, I will post (maybe another question).

Cheers,

Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Johnny H wrote:
> Dear all,
> Thank you very much for your answers; am a little overwhelmed as I did
> not expect so many so fast. I will take a look at your suggestions and
> sites.

*chuckle* I was thinking you didn't realize how many kinds there were.

> The cluster is medium performance for something called bioinformatics;
> we are looking at next generation sequence data.
>
> I know it had Centos installed and was using Torque/PBS for running
> cluster jobs. This was set up by a company and we want to install
> fresh.
>
> If I get anywhere without a sys admin, I will post (maybe another
> question).

Um, right. I think you need to email me, offlist: the gov't agency I work
for does just that, and I'm one of a team of three that supports just that
environment.

mark

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Peter Kjellström

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 04:52:27 pm Johnny H wrote:
> Dear all,
> Thank you very much for your answers; am a little overwhelmed as I did
> not expect so many so fast. I will take a look at your suggestions and
> sites.
>
> The cluster is medium performance for something called bioinformatics;
> we are looking at next generation sequence data.
>
> I know it had Centos installed and was using Torque/PBS for running
> cluster jobs. This was set up by a company and we want to install
> fresh.

What you describe here is quite clearly a compute cluster, HPC, or whatever
you want to call it.

Maybe you should go have a look at a packaged solution like rocks
(www.rocksclusters.org). If you don't have much experience I'd recommend
against building something yourself. With rocks you'll also get the benefit of
prepackaged bio-informatics stuff (rocks has a large community).

/Peter