Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
JohnS

Default How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 20:37 +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> JohnS wrote:
> >
> > I told you already...the kernel calls insmod first...then "init_moule"
> > then a "another sub r gets called to an actual init_module r
>
> That is how the kernel loads a module when insmod is run - but what
> tells the system to load the sound modules at system start-up?

:-)

> > Why not explain exactly your problem? Theres a reason you need to know
> > and y?
>
> I have a system with 2 sound 'cards', one on the motherboard and one on
> a PCI-E card. Both cards use the Intel HDA chipset (snd-hda-intel.ko
> driver). When the on-board card has been disabled via a jumper, none of
> the sound modules get loaded at system start-up. I can manually load the
> snd-hda-intel module and the PCI-E card is found.
>
> Therefore, I would like to find out why the PCI-E card is not found and
> the driver not loaded at system start-up. Hence my original question, if
> anyone knows at what point in the start up procedure the system loads
> the sound modules.

snd-hda-intel get blacklisted somehow. or it is not listed in the
modprobe conf to load. An idea just thinking yo could remove the kernel
reinstall it with only the cards you want enabled. You could look into
the initrd for startup modules also with cpio. Back it up first though.

Also you should make sure the it has the right PCI Identfier for the
*.ko . If My other questions are, is your init subsystem in working
order; like it should work and look for extra modules to load in
sysconfig? All fails create an insmod *.ko script for startup.

John