Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

Default RHEL 6 <-> CentOS 6 ?

Hi !

We are curently deploying an 8 nodes cluster where we have a RHEL 6 license
at great costs (~14 k$/y). It will be our new production environment for
mission-critical services.

Now our aging developpement server (old p4 with 1.5 gig of ram) need to be
updated. We will be installing on hardware as close as possible to the new
production servers, just not in a rack...

For the developement server, I won't be needing the RH support (and price
that goes with it). So I wsish to install it under CentOS. But 6 isn't out
yet. (by the way, when ;-) ?). I do have a spare slot in my rhn that I can
install the new server with.

Will RHEL 6 be as easy to switch to CentOS 6 as were RHEL/CentOS 5 ? That is
install a couple of rpms, yum update and voilą ?

Thanks,

Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

<voice=tantric chant>Oh mani padmay when it's done</voice>

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

>> But 6 isn't out yet. (by the way, when ;-)
>
> <voice=tantric chant>Oh mani padmay when it's done</voice>

That I already know, that was kinda of a sarcastic question that required
kinda sarcastic answer ;-)

I know that 5.6 is on it's way relatively soon, and work on 6 will continue
afterwards...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 04:04:56PM -0500, Nicolas Ross wrote:
> Hi !
>
> We are curently deploying an 8 nodes cluster where we have a RHEL 6
> license at great costs (~14 k$/y). It will be our new production
> environment for mission-critical services.
>
> Now our aging developpement server (old p4 with 1.5 gig of ram) need
> to be updated. We will be installing on hardware as close as possible
> to the new production servers, just not in a rack...
>
> For the developement server, I won't be needing the RH support (and
> price that goes with it). So I wsish to install it under CentOS. But
> 6 isn't out yet. (by the way, when ;-) ?). I do have a spare slot in
> my rhn that I can install the new server with.
>
> Will RHEL 6 be as easy to switch to CentOS 6 as were RHEL/CentOS 5 ?
> That is install a couple of rpms, yum update and voilą ?
>
> Thanks,

There are procedures to convert for RHEL5, and no doubt something
similar will work for RHEL6 as well.

Antother option is ScientificLinux 6.0, which although not out yet
either has a public rolling 6.0 release available that I recently
installed from for similar reasons as you.

I'll likely try to convert it to CentOS 6 when it's available, so we'll
see how that goes.

Ray