Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
James Pearson

Default How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

JohnS wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 19:43 +0000, James Pearson wrote:
>

>>I assume something does probe some how - which is what I trying to work
>>out. i.e. what exactly does the probe and where in the startup sequence
>>is this done?
>

> I told you already...the kernel calls insmod first...then "init_moule"
> then a "another sub r gets called to an actual init_module r

That is how the kernel loads a module when insmod is run - but what
tells the system to load the sound modules at system start-up?

> Why not explain exactly your problem? Theres a reason you need to know
> and y?

I have a system with 2 sound 'cards', one on the motherboard and one on
a PCI-E card. Both cards use the Intel HDA chipset (snd-hda-intel.ko
driver). When the on-board card has been disabled via a jumper, none of
the sound modules get loaded at system start-up. I can manually load the
snd-hda-intel module and the PCI-E card is found.

Therefore, I would like to find out why the PCI-E card is not found and
the driver not loaded at system start-up. Hence my original question, if
anyone knows at what point in the start up procedure the system loads
the sound modules.

Thanks

James Pearson