-   -   How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/486204-how-when-sound-modules-loaded-system-boot-time-centos-5-a.html)

James Pearson 02-07-2011 04:38 PM

How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/

CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
equivalent in CentOS 5

Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?

Thanks

James Pearson

02-07-2011 04:41 PM

James Pearson wrote:
> I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
> boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/
>
> CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
> equivalent in CentOS 5
>
> Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?

Have you tried system-config-soundcard?

mark

James Pearson 02-07-2011 04:52 PM

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> James Pearson wrote:
>
>>I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/
>>
>>CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>equivalent in CentOS 5
>>
>>Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>

> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?

I have, but that wasn't the question :-)

Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
start up process this happens.

James Pearson

Rob Kampen 02-07-2011 04:56 PM

James Pearson wrote:

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

James Pearson wrote:

I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/

CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
equivalent in CentOS 5

Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?

Have you tried system-config-soundcard?

I have, but that wasn't the question :-)

Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
start up process this happens.

cannot answer all your question but found that sometime around 5.3 ->
5.4 that the order of sound modules loading changed.
I found that one needed to edit modprobe.conf and add index=0 or index=1
as needed to get the modules loading correctly and thus allowing related
software to find them in the correct place.

HTH

James Pearson

02-07-2011 05:07 PM

James Pearson wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> James Pearson wrote:
>>
>>>I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>>boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under
>>> /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>>CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>>equivalent in CentOS 5
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>>
>> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?
>
> I have, but that wasn't the question :-)
>
> Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
> I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
> start up process this happens.

Oh! I thought you were just trying to get sound working. Yeah, as someone
else noted, modprobe.conf, and, as I just looked and found, there's more
in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist, where I see
excerpt:
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias sound-service-*-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-*-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-*-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-*-12 snd-pcm-oss

install sound-slot-* /sbin/modprobe
snd-card-${MODPROBE_MODULE##sound[_-]slot[_--
]}

install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm && /sbin/modprobe
snd-pcc
m-oss && /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-device && /sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss
--- end excerpt ---
right after USB and before NFS.

I don't know if that's read before or after depmod.d/depmod.conf.dist, but
presumably it's used by udev.

mark

Keith Roberts 02-07-2011 05:14 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> From: James Pearson <james-p@moving-picture.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot
> time on CentOS 5?
>
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> James Pearson wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to work out how the various sound modules get loaded at
>>> boot time on CentOS 5 - but I can't find anything obvious under /etc/rc.d/
>>>
>>> CentOS 4 did this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - but there is nothing
>>> equivalent in CentOS 5
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how these modules get loaded?
>>

>> Have you tried system-config-soundcard?
>
> I have, but that wasn't the question :-)
>
> Something has to load the sound kernel modules at system start up - and
> I would like to find out what does this and at what stage of the system
> start up process this happens.

Hi James.

Doesn't the kernel probe the machine's hardware at boot up
time, and if it finds your soundcard, load the appropriate
driver for it?

If the hardware is not detected by the kernel, then you
probably would have to manually load the respective hardware
driver with modprobe.

[root@karsites ~]# modprobe -l *cmi*
/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.32.1.el5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.ko

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

James Pearson 02-07-2011 06:43 PM

Keith Roberts wrote:

> Doesn't the kernel probe the machine's hardware at boot up
> time, and if it finds your soundcard, load the appropriate
> driver for it?

I assume something does probe some how - which is what I trying to work
out. i.e. what exactly does the probe and where in the startup sequence
is this done?

Thanks

James Pearson

Keith Roberts 02-07-2011 08:59 PM

How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot time on CentOS 5?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> From: James Pearson <james-p@moving-picture.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] How and when are the sound modules loaded at system boot
> time on CentOS 5?
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't the kernel probe the machine's hardware at boot up
>> time, and if it finds your soundcard, load the appropriate
>> driver for it?
>
> I assume something does probe some how - which is what I trying to work
> out. i.e. what exactly does the probe and where in the startup sequence
> is this done?

Hi James. Good question. I can't say for sure, but I guess
it's some sort of h/w detection code in the kernel. This may
be of some help:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-linuxboot/index.html

James Pearson 02-08-2011 11:16 AM

James Pearson wrote:

> I assume something does probe some how - which is what I trying to work
> out. i.e. what exactly does the probe and where in the startup sequence
> is this done?

After adding various debug echo's to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, the sound
modules are loaded by udev (/sbin/start_udev)

So I now know how the sound modules are loaded at system start up

James Pearson