Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Jerry Geis

Default premature question on 5.6

What will be the correct way to migrate ext3 to ext4 going from 5.5 to 5.6?
Will something after the update ask if you want to migrate the file systems?
Looking forward to some file system speed ups with large files.

Thanks

Jerry

Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
James Hogarth

On 7 February 2011 15:55, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> What will be the correct way to migrate ext3 to ext4 going from 5.5 to 5.6?
> Will something after the update ask if you want to migrate the file systems?
> Looking forward to some file system speed ups with large files.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

Based on experienced with other systems (ubuntu etc) a rebuild would
be teh best way if you want to move from one to the other (or a full
backup of disk then restore all the files) due to existing files on
the ext3 system not gaining the benefits from ext4 - only new files.

Personally I'm skipping such an extensive change until Centos 6 is due
and I'll need to test on that anyway - and can verify an appropriate
ext4 configuration at the some time.

James

Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:
> What will be the correct way to migrate ext3 to ext4 going from 5.5 to
> 5.6? Will something after the update ask if you want to migrate the file
> systems? Looking forward to some file system speed ups with large files.

Actually, I'd been wondering - ext2 to 3 was trivial. So, with your post,
I just looked, and found:
<https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4>

Hope that answers your questions - it did for me.

mark

Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Google convert ext3 to ext4 centos

Hit 1: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26324
contains
yum -y install e4fsprogs
vi /etc/fstab
(change ext3 to ext4 for my / partition)
mkinitrd --with=ext4 --with=ext3 -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.img
2.6.18-194.3.1
tune4fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVolRoot
shutdown -r now
(reboot from DVD with linux rescue)
fsck -t ext4 -pf /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVolRoot
(this failed for me so I had to then run...)
fsck -t ext4 -f /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVolRoot
(answer Y to the questions about fixing it)
(reboot back into normal boot)

Hit 2: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26324
Entire page

Hit 3:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/convert-ext3-to-
ext4-794210/
Using tune2fs should work just fine. There's a nice little guide at
http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph...system_to_ext4 and a more
complete one at http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...le-system.html

Hit 4: http://planet.admon.org/convert-file-system-from-ext3-to-ext4/
(the age of this hit is indeterminate, so the 'advice' to keep /boot in
ext3 is of unknown necessity)
Once you converted your file system to ext4, the fs cannot be mounted as
ext3. Note that ext4 may have some bugs so do not use it on productive
servers. It's also recommended that keep your /boot in ext3.

You need to check ext4 is supported and compiled in you current kernel.
Otherwise, you need to apply the patch, and re-compile your kernel. I
assume that your kernel supports ext4.
Simply follow these steps to convert an existing ext3 file-system to
ext4. For example, in order to converting /dev/sdb1 to ext4, you need to
type:
# cd /; umount /dev/sdb1
# tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/sdb1
# fsck -pf /dev/sdb1

Now, all's OK, just mount it as ext4:

mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /ext4

If you have converted /boot file system , you need to update
/boot/grub.conf. Use your favourite editor to open this file, find out
current kernel config section and append the following parameter:
rootfstype=ext4

Here is sample config:

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.28.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.1 ro quiet splash rootfstype=ext4
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28.1
Quiet

Sounds pretty do-able.

/me

Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Sean

Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

> You need to check ext4 is supported and compiled in you current kernel.
> Otherwise, you need to apply the patch, and re-compile your kernel. I
> assume that your kernel supports ext4.
And you may want to check certain tools have grown ext4 support. eg 12
months ago either Clonezilla or Gparted (or both) did not.
Sean

Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

I think gparted actually supports ext4. I remember ext4 being flagged with a
green OK checkmark not too long ago.

Clonezilla though...

--
/Sorin